Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 09:50 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times

Advertisements

I’ve heard several different approaches and am curious what others do. I clean the airplane or train seats with Clorox wipes and take emergen-c immune plus. And try to drink lots of water. What do you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 02:29 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
Nothing special.

Oh, I do try to drink plenty of beer to stay hydrated.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:45 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
Washing your hands as needed, and definitely before you eat, is a good thing to do when traveling. Keeping bathroom visits to just your hotel room is also not a bad idea. Carrying a few packets of alcohol wipes is useful for times when you can’t wash your hands. Avoiding touching your face, especially the nose and eyes, is prudent. Certain things are known Petri dishes like airplane tray tables and hotel TV remotes and it’s helpful to either avoid them or wipe them down with an alcohol wipe. And getting sufficient sleep is a must.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:45 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Keeping bathroom visits to just your hotel room is also not a bad idea.
I must confess this was an unexpected answer. You must stay within a pretty tight radius of your hotel.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:52 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I must confess this was an unexpected answer. You must stay within a pretty tight radius of your hotel.
Not very practical for many people!

I don't really do anything special when I travel in general although there are certain places where I avoid drinking tap water.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I avoid local food (soups) when it comes in luke warm Plastic bags and likely with local water.

Wash hands and food well (I eat a lot of (washed) fresh veggies and fruit)

Water ... lots of water

Old 01-30-2018, 04:33 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I never thought about it. Traveling should not have such drastic restrictions.

If someone is healthy, few germs here and there are not going to do any harm. The immune system is going to take care of it.
So, when I travel - I mingle, shake hands, eat street food, sit on public benches, use public restrooms, touch things around me... all day long. I will try to wash my hands before eating, but if that's not possible - I will still eat, and I will not get sick or die.
Sure, people are coughing on the plane, the seats are dirty (I will not hug the pillow or blanket, that's just perhaps too much ), but I don't tear the hotel room upside down looking for bed bugs (never brought any back home anyway), don't carry disinfectants or wipes, and if I am really thirsty, I will drink water from a public fountain, or faucet (where you think the water at a restaurant comes from, if isn't bottled?).
People who are too sick or too concerned about germs, should stay at home. Otherwise germaphobia will turn the best vacation to a nightmare...

Old 01-30-2018, 04:52 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I'm supposed to stay hydrated when traveling, and then I'm supposed to avoid bathrooms?? My 43 year old bladder can't handle the pressure!!! (Literally and figuratively!)

Old 01-30-2018, 05:02 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Washing your hands as needed, and definitely before you eat, is a good thing to do when traveling. Keeping bathroom visits to just your hotel room is also not a bad idea. Carrying a few packets of alcohol wipes is useful for times when you can’t wash your hands. Avoiding touching your face, especially the nose and eyes, is prudent. Certain things are known Petri dishes like airplane tray tables and hotel TV remotes and it’s helpful to either avoid them or wipe them down with an alcohol wipe. And getting sufficient sleep is a must.
Isn't this pretty much what so many people are doing when they are NOT traveling? Wanna talk petri dishes? Your cell phone. That kitchen sponge. Your coffee pot. Except for the coughing people and sniffling kids, I'd bet the plane is less germ filled than most of our homes.

Yeah, I have a little bottle of germX in my purse and DH keeps one in his car. We use it before we eat fried chicken or tacos or when I handle a package of raw chicken that's leaking in the grocery store. We have a bottle at home that we use when one of us has a cold. But that's about it.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:10 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Try not to breathe.
WHAT IS IT WITH PEOPLE WHO DON'T COUGH INTO A TISSUE???!!! Or at the very least, cough into your sleeve. You'll be washing that anyway, right?
DO NOT cough into the air. That's gross. And rude. And stupid. And germ-spreading. And...and... Just DON'T DO IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel