U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 02:55 PM

9,431 posts, read 7,108,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
As for the comments about Spirit charging for everything (airport check-in, carry-on bags, more leg room, assigned seats, food, drinks, etc.) that's true, but all of that is in the fine print on their web site, so no one should be surprised nor complain about that; you know what you are signing up for when you fly Spirit.
You assume people actually read. I don't disagree with you.. It is disclosed and people should be aware, but it's astounding how many are not.

Delta or United has come out with some "Base Economy" fare that is along the spirit model.. I see complaints all the time about that, because someone booked on expedia and it wasn't spelled out that they didn't get to choose their seat and had to pay for bags, etc, etc, etc.

At least the airline fees.. You can avoid them. Don't want to pay for a seat assignment? Don't.

You want to send me over the edge.. Let's start talking about hotel "Resort Fees".. Like in Vegas, where they run $30-$50 a night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 03:41 PM

26,610 posts, read 63,057,239 times
Ouch. My legs hurt just reading the title of this thread. then I get really tired.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:39 PM

9,886 posts, read 10,138,138 times
People seldom have an option to choose side by side flights on a regular airline vs a LCC.

In my case the LCC, Allegiant flies from an airport within walking distance to four Florida destinations and seasonally to Myrtle Beach. One alternative is to spend a lot more money and time and take a regional airline to a hub, and a second segment to fly to the destination.The second alternative is to spend the money to drive 80 miles, pay parking fees, and fly a nonstop on a regular airline like United, Delta, Southwest or American.

Being nickel and dime'd by irritating fees is by far the least egregious option. Spirit at least gives you the option to go to the airport and buy the tickets and save the Usage fee. Allegiant does not give you that option.

Generally if you take the time to understand the fees you can avoid the worst of them.
(1) Pack one bag that you check in (no carry luggage bigger than a purse or briefcase)
(2) Print your own boarding pass
(3) Bring your own food and don't sit with your friends or family
(4) Pay at the airport if possible
(5) Use a debit card instead of a credit card
(6) And this is a big one, don't make any changes in your itinerary (or pay for the option to make changes).

RECENT ALLEGIANT TICKET 1019 miles from Pennsylvania ABE to Punta Gorda PGD on gulf coast
$144.93 Airfare
$10.87 Fed Excise Tax
$4.50 PFC
$8.00 Segment Fees
$11.20 Sept 11 Security Fee
-------------------------------------------------- non negotiable if it were Spirit flight $179.50
$26.00 Carrier Usage Charge ----------- with Spirit you can avoid this charge by paying at the airport. May not be worth the money for only a single ticket. Fee has doubled recently.
-------------------------------------------------- non negotiable for Allegiant $205.50
$30.00 Carry-on Bag ---------- smarter to pay to check-in a single bag as you can pack more luggage for only a little more money
$28.00 Trip Flex ----------- Insurance against changes to date of travel
$8.43 Credit Card Surcharge ----- use debit card to avoid
$271.93 Total Trip Cost:

Without "Trip Flex" the penalty would be $150 minus cancellation, carrier charges($26) and booking fees to make even a small change in the itinerary. That's almost the entire non negotiable part of the ticket ($205.50)

A ticket on Delta regional airline involving a change in Atlanta was about $365, but the layover in Atlanta alone might be longer than the entire 2:38 Allegiant flight. The Delta airport in Florida was RSW which would have been 31 miles closer than PGD to final destination. Even if the allegiant fees would have added up to the same as the Delta flight, I would avoid the layover.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 02-07-2018 at 05:32 PM..

Old 02-08-2018, 07:04 AM

8,655 posts, read 19,115,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I have no problems with SW.. I've flown them twice and while the boarding is.. Unusual if you're not used to it... That's the only thing I noticed that separates them in any kind of not-good way from a legacy. And even that.. It's just different.. Not necessarily bad. Unless you check in really late and wind up stuck at C30 or something and are in a middle seat. Then it's probably pretty bad.

But, there's alot of ways that they are better. Baggage fees.. Ticket changes, etc..
I've made the mistake and used these airlines more than once; never again. Not worth it. I'll stick with JetBlue and choose my seat, collect my points, get my free bags and snacks. I travel a lot so my time/sanity take priority over a cheap ticket on a substandard airline.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:19 AM

2,292 posts, read 2,647,485 times
Flew Detroit to Myrtle Beach.

Arrived with 2 hours to check in and still nearly missed it, lines were ridiculously long and staff were slow to process.

Outbound flight was delayed by over an hour because after starting to taxi out the pilot noticed a weather system so needed to recalculate his route and take on more fuel. This weather system had been around for 2 days, we drove through it on the way to the airport.

Homeward flight delayed 5 yes FIVE hours due to no flight crew, I received an email around 3am informing me that the flight would be delayed but should still check in at original time. At the airport not even a cup of coffee was offered during the 5 hours wait time. Ground staff were also harassing paying customers to reschedule so they could get other members of staff on the flight to the point they said they would draw names if necessary.

We were given $25 towards our next Spirit flight as compensation, will never fly Spirit again.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:12 AM

1,293 posts, read 950,696 times
Never again. Greedy, cancel flights you bought your tickets for $400 and put you in one you didn't buy for $100 because it was inconvenient, always late.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:55 AM

1,325 posts, read 1,185,411 times
Some friends and I flew Spirit to Jamaica two years ago. We were on two Spirit flights each way, so four flights total.

I completely agree with the issues other posters have raised about fees. Unless you do not not need much luggage, the fees can cripple a budget. However, if one can travel light, Spirit can be a decent deal. An amazing young couple we met in Jamaica had survived on with just their carefully packed small carry on bags. My friends and I all had checked bags, driving the cost way up.

One point I have not seen other raise is the service. On the longer of the two flights going to Jamaica, we had some of the rudest, unhelpful service I have ever had on a flight (and I have flown Alitalia). However, to be fair, the service on the short flight from Florida to Jamaica, was some of the best.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:40 AM

5,223 posts, read 672,719 times
I flew on Spirit last month when I went to FL from Hartford.

Cons:

The fares are cheap but they nickle-and-dime you to death. No complimentary anything. $40 to check a bag?? Shipping your suitcase to your destination is probably cheaper.

Because everything other than the flight itself costs extra, booking on line gets a little cumbersome and confusing. It's "cheaper" to pay for everything online at the point of booking. I "thought" I paid for my baggage for both ways (Imagine--$80 just for having a suitcase!!) but I had trouble with the website and discovered when I checked in at the airport that had only paid for my return trip

Seating is-shall we say?--"cozy." If you're a large person or on a long flight Spirit might not be the best alternative

Self-check is wonky, but to be honest I tend to be "unclear on concept" with those things. You pay EXTRA to talk to a human
--------
Pros:

The flight itself to FL was THE BEST--kudos to the pilot whoever s/he was--the take off and landing were the smoothest ever--I did not even FEEL the touchdown, the landing was THAT subtle.

The airline has a sense of humor. On my flight home I looked out the window to see this (see attached)
---------

Conclusion:

1) when comparing airlines you need to factor in what you're getting for the price
2) for short trips (3 hrs or less) Spirit isn't bad
3) when flying Spirit bring your own snacks
4) next time I'll just bring the clothes on my back and buy a wardrobe while I'm at my destination and then ship it back home upon my return
Attached Thumbnails
Spirit Airlines Experiences Anyone-20180116_144159.jpg  

Old 02-10-2018, 10:51 PM

9,886 posts, read 10,138,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
The fares are cheap but they nickle-and-dime you to death. No complimentary anything. $40 to check a bag?? Shipping your suitcase to your destination is probably cheaper.
You can't rreally call the "nickel and dime" a con since it is the entire concept of ultra low cost carriers.

But for some of us who live in cities forgotten by the legacy carriers except for regional jets flying to their hubs, we wouldn't have any service at all.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:01 PM

43 posts, read 33,617 times
Spirit sucks. After my flight was cancelled, they offered me a seat on another flight...leaving in 1 week. So I called their customer service line for help. My flight was supposed to be from Chicago to Phoenix...the woman told me: "I can get you from Chicago to Minneapolis tomorrow. Will that help? Can you take a bus or something from there?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or