U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 05:28 PM

618 posts, read 266,758 times

Advertisements

We've flown Spirit few years ago. The only thing I can say is...read all the print. Surf their website. They answer just about any question. BE THERE AT LEAST 1.5-2 HOURS before your departure!! Also don't forget to do your preflight registration online. Luggage fees...if you can get by with a carry on, you'd be set. If not, your regular add a bag costs.

We would fly Spirit again in the future. Next time we would know what to expect! Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 09:03 AM

359 posts, read 712,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
... always late.

According to the latest stats published, Spirit ranks #7 of US based airlines for on-time flights. Spirit is ranked above all other "budget" airlines, being on time just over 80% of the time. So 8 out of 10 flights are on time. But of course, that really doesn't matter if you are on or waiting for one of the 2 flights that are late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
I completely agree with the issues other posters have raised about fees. Unless you do not not need much luggage, the fees can cripple a budget. However, if one can travel light, Spirit can be a decent deal.

Actually Spirit's baggage fees are some of the lowest in the industry, especially if you pay on-line when purchasing a ticket. For a domestic flight Spirit's fees are $30 for the first bag, $40 for the second bag, and $85 for each subsequent bag. United is $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second bag, and $150 for the third and subsequent bags. Delta is $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second bag, $150 for the third bag, and $200 for each subsequent bag. So yes, if you were only taking 1 or 2 bags, then United and Delta beats Spirit by $5 - $10, but if you are taking more than 2 bags, Spirit wins handily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
The fares are cheap but they nickle-and-dime you to death. No complimentary anything. $40 to check a bag?? Shipping your suitcase to your destination is probably cheaper.

I prefer to say they only charge you for what you need. They are up front about their fees, and you don't have to pay for anything you don't need. $40 to check a bag isn't outrageous. As you can see from the numbers I provided above, United and Delta charge $25 for the first bag, and I imagine other airlines have similar prices, except for Southwest. Also, with Spirit if you pay for your bag(s) when purchasing the ticket on-line, the first bag is only $30 and not $40, which is only $5 more than the other 2 major carriers I referenced.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:55 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,083,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
According to the latest stats published, Spirit ranks #7 of US based airlines for on-time flights. Spirit is ranked above all other "budget" airlines, being on time just over 80% of the time. So 8 out of 10 flights are on time. But of course, that really doesn't matter if you are on or waiting for one of the 2 flights that are late.

Actually Spirit's baggage fees are some of the lowest in the industry, especially if you pay on-line when purchasing a ticket. For a domestic flight Spirit's fees are $30 for the first bag, $40 for the second bag, and $85 for each subsequent bag. United is $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second bag, and $150 for the third and subsequent bags. Delta is $25 for the first bag, $35 for the second bag, $150 for the third bag, and $200 for each subsequent bag. So yes, if you were only taking 1 or 2 bags, then United and Delta beats Spirit by $5 - $10, but if you are taking more than 2 bags, Spirit wins handily.

I prefer to say they only charge you for what you need. They are up front about their fees, and you don't have to pay for anything you don't need. $40 to check a bag isn't outrageous. As you can see from the numbers I provided above, United and Delta charge $25 for the first bag, and I imagine other airlines have similar prices, except for Southwest. Also, with Spirit if you pay for your bag(s) when purchasing the ticket on-line, the first bag is only $30 and not $40, which is only $5 more than the other 2 major carriers I referenced.
Who checks more than 2 bags per person? That has to be a rarity.

But.. Personally, I think it's a tad sad that we're looking at it as "$40 isn't outrageous" to check a bag. (Or $25 or whatever)

One of the things that annoys me about Spirit is the $26 fee for a carry on bag. So far as I know, they're the only ones charging a carry on fee. Other low-fare airlines might, but I don't think any legacy carriers do. Though, that new "basic economy" might on United/Delta/whoever that is.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:23 PM

3,089 posts, read 820,707 times
Quote:
According to the latest stats published, Spirit ranks #7 of US based airlines for on-time flights. Spirit is ranked above all other "budget" airlines, being on time just over 80% of the time. So 8 out of 10 flights are on time. But of course, that really doesn't matter if you are on or waiting for one of the 2 flights that are late. ...
Just back from Central America, where Spirit changed the time of the return flight by about 45 minutes or so during the 10-day period we were gone. Not a problem but I rather wondered if this last minute "change" was a way of getting out of reporting the flight as late.

Most legacy carriers will make across-the-board adjustments to schedules at least a month or so out - not right before the flight leaves.

Not sure actually when Spirit changed it during that 10-day period since we weren't notified until we checked in online. The flight was shown as being ON TIME at the airport.

Anyhow ... first trip on Spirit and I'd use the carrier again ... WITHOUT checked luggage (for an international flight) even though a large checked bag is more cost-efficient than multiple carry-ons.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Who checks more than 2 bags per person? That has to be a rarity.

One of the things that annoys me about Spirit is the $26 fee for a carry on bag. So far as I know, they're the only ones charging a carry on fee. Other low-fare airlines might, but I don't think any legacy carriers do. Though, that new "basic economy" might on United/Delta/whoever that is.

My wife always checks more than 2 bags when she flies back home to Panama to visit. I imagine many people on international flights do. But you are probably right that across the board considering all air travelers, it is probably uncommon for people to check more than 2 bags.

While I can't say for sure what all of the "big" airlines are doing for carry-on's now, I do have very recent experience in purchasing economy tickets on American and United. Their lowest prices "basic economy" fares do not allow you to bring a full sized carry on to put in the overhead bin. They only allow for a personal item that will fit under the seat. With both American and United the cost of a carry-on, with a basic economy ticket, would be between $25 - $60 depending on how many checked bags you had. I may be wrong but I seem to remember being offered a higher priced "premium economy" fare on the American site, which would have included a full size carry-on. But I didn't see a similar option on the United website. I searched for the cheapest ticket, and what it gave me was the basic economy fare, without any other economy option. Maybe there was some search option that would show other economy fares, and I just didn't look that closely. I purchased the basic economy fare not really knowing that's what it was. Not that it really mattered because that is what I would have picked if I had an option anyway. It just seems that the American site "warned" me that I was purchasing a basic economy ticket, then they sent e-mails for several days reminding me that the fare did not include a carry-on.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Just back from Central America, where Spirit changed the time of the return flight by about 45 minutes or so during the 10-day period we were gone. Not a problem but I rather wondered if this last minute "change" was a way of getting out of reporting the flight as late.

Most legacy carriers will make across-the-board adjustments to schedules at least a month or so out - not right before the flight leaves.

Not sure actually when Spirit changed it during that 10-day period since we weren't notified until we checked in online. The flight was shown as being ON TIME at the airport.

I wonder if the 45 minute time change is permanent and still in effect? I would think that whoever makes the "on time" rules would be wise to airlines changing the departure times just to get around being reported late. I mean if airlines could do that, then they would always be on time, right? I can imagine an airline saying "ok, Flight XX123 is going to get off the ground 2 hours late, so we will just change the "official" takeoff time by 2 hours, but just for today only, so it won't really be late at all".

Old 02-13-2018, 08:04 AM

3,089 posts, read 820,707 times
Quote:
I wonder if the 45 minute time change is permanent and still in effect? I would think that whoever makes the "on time" rules would be wise to airlines changing the departure times just to get around being reported late. I mean if airlines could do that, then they would always be on time, right? I can imagine an airline saying "ok, Flight XX123 is going to get off the ground 2 hours late, so we will just change the "official" takeoff time by 2 hours, but just for today only, so it won't really be late at all".
I considered that, but didn't take the time to check.

Cross-checking our original itinerary against the current schedule (now a month later), the later departure time REMAINS in effect and, so yes, it appears to have been a legal time change. (And here I was suspicious !!!)

The schedule change actually appears to have occurred during the 2-day period we first spent in Florida. That or I didn't somehow didn't notice it when re-checking ongoing flights before we left home, which I always do.

Sometimes I get e-mail notices of flight time changes from airlines (United always), sometimes not (American). Typically though they don't arrive right before a flight departure.

Still, I liked our one Spirit flight and found the personnel helpful.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:46 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,083,794 times
Quote:
My wife always checks more than 2 bags when she flies back home to Panama to visit. I imagine many people on international flights do. But you are probably right that across the board considering all air travelers, it is probably uncommon for people to check more than 2 bags.

While I can't say for sure what all of the "big" airlines are doing for carry-on's now, I do have very recent experience in purchasing economy tickets on American and United. Their lowest prices "basic economy" fares do not allow you to bring a full sized carry on to put in the overhead bin. They only allow for a personal item that will fit under the seat. With both American and United the cost of a carry-on, with a basic economy ticket, would be between $25 - $60 depending on how many checked bags you had. I may be wrong but I seem to remember being offered a higher priced "premium economy" fare on the American site, which would have included a full size carry-on. But I didn't see a similar option on the United website. I searched for the cheapest ticket, and what it gave me was the basic economy fare, without any other economy option. Maybe there was some search option that would show other economy fares, and I just didn't look that closely. I purchased the basic economy fare not really knowing that's what it was. Not that it really mattered because that is what I would have picked if I had an option anyway. It just seems that the American site "warned" me that I was purchasing a basic economy ticket, then they sent e-mails for several days reminding me that the fare did not include a carry-on.
I thought there was a chance those new Basic Economy fares might not include a carry on. I haven't had any experience with them yet. Not sure how I feel about those fare classes. On one hand, you want to look at United and all and say "Spirit isn't your competition", but.. They've screwed things up so badly that Spirit *IS* their competition.

I am happy to hear, at least, that American was very straightforward in telling you the fare you were selecting and what it entailed.

You want to know who I miss.. And some of you won't even recognize the name.. Independence Air. It was basically an airline that existed in 2005. They came into being at the exact wrong time with the exact wrong aircraft.. They were flying nothing but the CRJs (Though they did add some Airbus A319's towards the end).. I flew them probably 6 times in the year they were in existence. I actually, for under $200 purchased a ticket from GSP to IAD leaving 60 minutes later (About 10am if I recall) with a return the same day at 9pm or so that night. I would travel to Dulles quite a bit and since that was their hub.. It was perfect.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:05 PM

3,541 posts, read 2,233,363 times
Don't bring your hamster.

Student who said Spirit Airlines employee told her to flush hamster down toilet has a new pet, lawyer says | Fox News

Old 02-15-2018, 03:32 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,638,245 times
WTF. This story doesn't make any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or