U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 09:08 AM

23 posts, read 10,793 times

Advertisements

One seven hour delay due to "no crew" from Tampa to Pittsburgh, was enough to swear me off of them at the time, but I still probably would go back if the price was right...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 09:14 AM

4,342 posts, read 2,271,209 times
I have flown them once. It was once and done. I don't need 3 + hours of stress as a trade-off for saving $30 on my airfare.

What problems were encountered ?

-Total lack of clarity on the carry on policy - multiple arguments ensued at the gate. I got on close to last while I purchased my bag online.

-Poor quality gate agents and check-in representatives - unable to quickly deal with problems or the crowd.

-Unpleasant fellow passengers

BTW - I rate Frontier as equally poor.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:55 AM

5,473 posts, read 2,931,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Is Spirit like Southwest?
No, no, no- they are NOT like Southwest.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:46 PM

9,431 posts, read 7,108,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye-ah B. Wear View Post
One seven hour delay due to "no crew" from Tampa to Pittsburgh, was enough to swear me off of them at the time, but I still probably would go back if the price was right...lol.
This is why they stay in business, in a way.

Just curious.. What kind of fare difference would you need to see?

Saving $20.. I don't think it'd be worth the hassle. But.. I think I'm in the minority on that. Someone could see a $5 lower fare and that's all that matters. That's the people Spirit is going after, IMO.

There are other factors to weigh in.. I mean, if Spirit had a non-stop and others did not, that would probably swing me more towards them.

Equal flights, equal times.. Spirit would have to be fairly significantly cheaper for me to take the risks over a legacy due to carriage agreements. Over Southwest, if I had 2 bags.. I think at least $100 cheaper. Though Southwest does have the same danger with no agreements in place.

The fact that in an emergency, something happens.. Southwest doesn't just say "*********, we're keeping your money" is a huge plus in my book.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:40 AM

359 posts, read 713,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
This is why they stay in business, in a way.

Just curious.. What kind of fare difference would you need to see?

Saving $20.. I don't think it'd be worth the hassle. But.. I think I'm in the minority on that. Someone could see a $5 lower fare and that's all that matters. That's the people Spirit is going after, IMO.

There are other factors to weigh in.. I mean, if Spirit had a non-stop and others did not, that would probably swing me more towards them.

Equal flights, equal times.. Spirit would have to be fairly significantly cheaper for me to take the risks over a legacy due to carriage agreements. Over Southwest, if I had 2 bags.. I think at least $100 cheaper. Though Southwest does have the same danger with no agreements in place.

Like you, I would take many things into consideration. Cost wise I would certainly factor in the cost of bags. Overall, I think I would need to see a cost difference of $100. But in my experience, Spirit is usually several hundred dollars cheaper, so it is a no brainer for me. Although I certainly recognize the risks of using Spirit.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:30 PM

1,941 posts, read 941,572 times
Quote:
One of the things that annoys me about Spirit is the $26 fee for a carry on bag. So far as I know, they're the only ones charging a carry on fee. Other low-fare airlines might, but I don't think any legacy carriers do. Though, that new "basic economy" might on United/Delta/whoever that is.
I now see people bringing everything in their carry on including the kitchen sink and they fight to get in quickly and fill up the overhead space. And people thinking that a big carry on and a fairly large sized bag on top of it is just one carry on. Plus they have a handbag too. I hate that, and it delays the boarding process while they clog up the aisle trying to get that big roll on in that overhead bin.

Now I am a fan of the concept of every carrier charging for carry on that does not fit under the seat in front of you. In fact charge then $40 and give a check in bag free. I never used to think that way but seeing what now goes onboard as carry on, my attitude has changed.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
Like you, I would take many things into consideration. Cost wise I would certainly factor in the cost of bags. Overall, I think I would need to see a cost difference of $100. But in my experience, Spirit is usually several hundred dollars cheaper, so it is a no brainer for me. Although I certainly recognize the risks of using Spirit.
I never see a > $100 difference. Now, that being said.. When I look, it's out of Atlanta.. Because that's the only place Spirit flies near me.. So, there's got to be at least a $100 difference between GSP and/or Charlotte and Atlanta to get me to go to Atlanta.. Then there'd have to be a $100 fare difference between SW/Legacy and Spirit at Atlanta..

Old 02-26-2018, 11:08 AM

359 posts, read 713,681 times
Quote:
I never see a > $100 difference. Now, that being said.. When I look, it's out of Atlanta.. Because that's the only place Spirit flies near me.. So, there's got to be at least a $100 difference between GSP and/or Charlotte and Atlanta to get me to go to Atlanta.. Then there'd have to be a $100 fare difference between SW/Legacy and Spirit at Atlanta..

I am in San Antonio, and Spirit doesn't fly out of here either. So, I can pick either DFW or Houston, both a 4+ hour drive. Unfortunately air fares out of San Antonio are high. It is usually my wife that flies, so I end up driving her to either Dallas or Houston to catch the Spirit flight to Panama. Baggage is usually what kills me, and makes the Spirit flight a better value. I just pulled prices for an upcoming trip leaving around 17 Jun. Here are those numbers:

San Antonio - Panama City (price with 5 bags with United) - $1,270
Houston - Panama City (price with 5 bags, cheapest non-Spirit fare on Avianca) - $1,082
Houston - Panama City (price with 5 bags, fare on United) - $1,299
Houston - Panama City (price with 5 bags, fare on Spirit) - $785

I am surprised in this case the cost of the United fare from San Antonio is cheaper than the United fare from Houston. That is usually not the case, and you have to fly from San Antonio to Houston to connect any way. I could get her a round trip ticket from San Antonio to Houston for $223, but again the bags kill me. I would have to pay baggage fees from San Antonio to Houston, and then again from Houston to Panama City. The cost difference in flying from San Antonio to Panama City on United is nearly $500 more than it will cost to drive to Houston and fly on Spirit.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
I am in San Antonio, and Spirit doesn't fly out of here either. So, I can pick either DFW or Houston, both a 4+ hour drive. Unfortunately air fares out of San Antonio are high. It is usually my wife that flies, so I end up driving her to either Dallas or Houston to catch the Spirit flight to Panama. Baggage is usually what kills me, and makes the Spirit flight a better value. I just pulled prices for an upcoming trip leaving around 17 Jun. Here are those numbers:

San Antonio - Panama City (price with 5 bags with United) - $1,270
Houston - Panama City (price with 5 bags, cheapest non-Spirit fare on Avianca) - $1,082
Houston - Panama City (price with 5 bags, fare on United) - $1,299
Houston - Panama City (price with 5 bags, fare on Spirit) - $785

I am surprised in this case the cost of the United fare from San Antonio is cheaper than the United fare from Houston. That is usually not the case, and you have to fly from San Antonio to Houston to connect any way. I could get her a round trip ticket from San Antonio to Houston for $223, but again the bags kill me. I would have to pay baggage fees from San Antonio to Houston, and then again from Houston to Panama City. The cost difference in flying from San Antonio to Panama City on United is nearly $500 more than it will cost to drive to Houston and fly on Spirit.

I'm in the same boat as you are.. Though not as bad.. Here in the upstate of SC.. I've got 4 airports relatively close to choose from.

GSP which is here.. But has been ranked as having the highest fares in the nation at times. Getting better with Southwest coming in. You're connecting. The only non-stops are Dulles/Reagan, New York, Charlotte and Atlanta.. Perhaps Chicago.

Charlotte.. About an hour and a half away.. Nice drive, nice airport. But prices are generally only about $50 cheaper than GSP. But, Charlotte is nice.. It's a Cadillac airport. Easy to get in, get out.. Charlotte back in the day would have 100k people attending a race and 100k at a football game and they'd both end at the same time.. They know how to handle traffic.

Atlanta.. 2 and a half hours away.. About $100 cheaper normally.. But.. It's Atlanta. You want to fix Atlanta? Dig up Sherman and let him burn it to the ground again and start over. Traffic suuuuuuuuucks and the airport is on the south side of town. Just about every airline flies out of Atlanta.

Then there's Asheville.. Which is just as small as GSP, if not smaller.. About an hour and a half.. Occasionally, you can find fares cheap through them because Allegiant flies to Baltimore from there.. However, does NOT fly to Baltimore from GSP.

The trick.. Atlanta being $100 cheaper isn't enough to fly out of Atlanta.. Unless you have multiple people.. I saved about $200 flying to Vegas out of Atlanta and it was just on that border.. By the time I did the drive down, the drive back, and dealing with Atlanta itself.. I was wishing I had spent the $200.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:43 PM

9,256 posts, read 8,331,147 times
When we lived in Myrtle Beach we used them ALL the time to fly to Fort Lauderdale before we moved.

I would mail my luggage so I would not have to check anything.

Customer service is non existent.

They once lost my luggage on a direct flight from Myrtle Beach to Boston and never did a thing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or