Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:46 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,209,777 times

Advertisements

You have to read all the small print and jump through some hoops to avoid extra charges - but it is entirely possible. You can't expect to just walk on with no prep and not get "dinged". As long as you read, you're not 6'2", and your flight is not overly long it is worth it. Don't use it for cross-Atlantic or Australia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 07:49 PM

4,399 posts, read 2,885,253 times
Default only one flight on Spirit... and it was okay

A fairly new aircraft, and clean inside. The seatback pocket was a tiny nylon-mesh enclosure; otherwise the interior looked the same as on other carriers.

I had sufficient legroom (the only time I've felt really squished was on Frontier). I'm 5-10. YMMV.

Forgot to fill my water bottle in the terminal, so paid $3 for water. Avoided the other fees.

The flight was on time.

Maybe I was lucky. From what I've read, the biggest problem with Spirit seems to be that if a flight is cancelled, you may be in for a very long wait. Although they have many routes, they don't fly very often on any given route. Between that and the planes being full ("high load factor," it's called), and the absence of 'interline' agreements, you might have to fly another day.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:00 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,279,934 times
I would not fly on a long flight but for the 1.5hr flight I did from NYC to Myrtle Beach, it was fine.

(Also I am 5'2"... so I had plenty of space but if you're taller, maybe an issue, I don't know).

Old 02-05-2018, 02:15 PM

17,399 posts, read 14,953,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Maybe I was lucky. From what I've read, the biggest problem with Spirit seems to be that if a flight is cancelled, you may be in for a very long wait. Although they have many routes, they don't fly very often on any given route. Between that and the planes being full ("high load factor," it's called), and the absence of 'interline' agreements, you might have to fly another day.

They're not the only ones you have to worry about that... Allegiant is also very scary from that standpoint.

We have them flying out of GSP to the Orlando areas, but I think they only run 2 flights a week.. So, if a flight were cancelled.. It could be days before another one runs.

I do think Spirit is worth the gamble at times.. But, they'd have to be pretty significantly less than anyone else for me to take the risk. And, it'd have to be a situation where I didn't HAVE to be somewhere. I wouldn't fly on Spirit on Thursday so that I could catch a cruise on Friday.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:19 PM

939 posts, read 760,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
From what I've read, the biggest problem with Spirit seems to be that if a flight is cancelled, you may be in for a very long wait. Although they have many routes, they don't fly very often on any given route. Between that and the planes being full ("high load factor," it's called), and the absence of 'interline' agreements, you might have to fly another day.
OP here. I did notice that aspect. The flight times and number of flights was very poor. It would be the biggest negative in consideration of them.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:47 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,881,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Has anyone flown Spirit Airlines lately? I was checking rates for flights for Atlanta to San Juan Puerto Rico on Google and their ad came up. The rates are at least half of Delta.

I'm not picky on flying. I usually fly Southwest. Is Spirit like Southwest?
I personally won't fly either one. My sanity is worth more than a cheap airline ticket.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:49 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,674,344 times
I have never flown on them because we get perks from Southwest, but my neighbor swears by them!! She just paid $60 round trip from Chicago to Orlando! Of course you have to pay for your bags, but it was still a huge savings! She said she tries to fly with them whenever possible and their rates and service are always the best!

Old 02-06-2018, 03:24 PM

17,399 posts, read 14,953,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I personally won't fly either one. My sanity is worth more than a cheap airline ticket.
I have no problems with SW.. I've flown them twice and while the boarding is.. Unusual if you're not used to it... That's the only thing I noticed that separates them in any kind of not-good way from a legacy. And even that.. It's just different.. Not necessarily bad. Unless you check in really late and wind up stuck at C30 or something and are in a middle seat. Then it's probably pretty bad.

But, there's alot of ways that they are better. Baggage fees.. Ticket changes, etc..

Old 02-06-2018, 05:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,596 posts, read 57,546,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I have no problems with SW.. I've flown them twice and while the boarding is.. Unusual if you're not used to it... That's the only thing I noticed that separates them in any kind of not-good way from a legacy. ....
But, there's alot of ways that they are better. Baggage fees.. Ticket changes, etc..
yes!!!!

Consider ALL the options / things that can happen (Flu epidemic...)

Spirit needs to be < 1/2 SWA fares before I will even consider it. (as I might be surrendering my ticket on ANY other carrier if something comes up)

10 SWA flights in last 24 hrs. No problem...
34 flights booked FORWARD on SWA, no problem

I LUV how well they help my retirement portfolio (nice stock gains)

Companion pass is handy to use for friends / spouse! (Good for 1+ yr)

Old 02-07-2018, 11:38 AM

547 posts, read 1,048,916 times
I have never flown on Spirit, but my wife has many times to go home on vacation. My observations are similar to others here. They usually have odd hours, at least for the flights my wife has taken. For example she has to catch flights that leave at 2 AM. The lack on interline agreements is a big drawback for us. We are in San Antonio, and Spirit doesn't fly from San Antonio, so to fly Spirit she has to go to Dallas or Houston. So if she wants to fly from San Antonio, we have to buy a ticket on a different airline to get from/to San Antonio to/from Dallas or Houston. She usually travels "heavy" (lots of bags) going outbound. So this means paying bag fees on 2 airlines to get her to her destination. This would pretty much wipe out any cost savings that would be achieved by flying Spirit. So what I usually do is drive her to Dallas or Houston for the outbound trip, then buy her a cheap one way ticket from Dallas or Houston for the return trip. She usually comes back with little in the way of luggage, so this works well from that aspect. However, what can, and has, happened is the Spirit flight on her return trip gets delayed. This causes her to miss her flight from Dallas or Houston. Since there is no interline agreement, then we just have to eat the cost of the one way ticket from Dallas or Houston. I then end up driving to Dallas or Houston to pick her up. As for the comments about Spirit charging for everything (airport check-in, carry-on bags, more leg room, assigned seats, food, drinks, etc.) that's true, but all of that is in the fine print on their web site, so no one should be surprised nor complain about that; you know what you are signing up for when you fly Spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel