U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 12:41 PM

11,043 posts, read 4,011,569 times

Advertisements

St. John, USVI and Grand Cayman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 08:16 AM

3,308 posts, read 1,578,890 times
In the US, Bahia Honda State Park very scenic.

In the DR, Dominicus Beach

In Aruba , Baby Beach

Old 02-10-2018, 12:15 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,347,100 times
Always liked the state park beaches in between Santa Cruz and SF on California Highway 1.
Pescadero, Waddell, Ano Nuevo, and a couple of others come to mind.
I go to that part of CA every summer, and my toes are in the water there every day, no matter how grey or chilly (which is often there, even in July). And hardly ever truly busy....sometimes midweek I'm basically by myself.
Awesome.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:58 PM

157 posts, read 116,040 times
Great thread.....the only problem for us is that there are many, many great beaches world wide. Not able to chose just one.

Raised at Newport and Balboa Beaches, and Corona Del Mar, and Huntington Beaches in Orange Co. All great.

BVI: White Bay , Jost Van Dyke Cane Garden ( Tortola) once they get their pollution squared away.

BVI: Virgin Gorda: There are some beautiful beaches and bays that we have on experienced on our sailing vacations that look fabulous . Maybe next trip in 2019.

Australia : Whitehaven Beach, Whitsunday Island . Hill Inlet next to Whitehaven, at tidal change.

Kauai Island : Secret Beach and Kalapaki Beach and Anini and Ke'e... and Hanalei Bay, North Shore

Here in Dana Point : Salt Creek Beach and Doheny

It really is hard to pick just one, too many great beaches out there to enjoy.

Thanks for those wonderful memories.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:48 AM

1,722 posts, read 607,274 times
Since I usually just walk by the ocean, rather than swim or soak in the sun, any beach where I can hear crashing waves is glorious.

When I lived in Encinitas, CA last year, I loved walking at Moonlight Beach, because it's such a happy place... there's a small playground & volleyball nets, so there are happy kids of all ages, all the time. It's also a dog beach, so lots of activity. But, any of those SoCal beaches are great... Coronado, Carlsbad, La Jolla & further north to Santa Barbara... gosh, the beach scenery just get more glorious the further north you drive... cliffs, those beautiful, giant black rocks that jut out of the water & I love seeing people of any age utilizing the beaches & oceans... makes me feel happy to see others relaxing & enjoying themselves.

I've lived almost all my life mere blocks from an ocean. I've got to move inland this month & it's going to be a tough transition. I don't know if I can do it.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:58 AM

1,873 posts, read 725,273 times
South Padre Island, Texas.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:04 PM

7,178 posts, read 5,443,331 times
Anywhere on the NC coast, Hilton Head, Myrtle beach during off-peak and Cocoa beach.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:57 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,706,078 times
Boca Chica, Texas. Half an hour east of Brownsville, it is the end of the blacktop road that goes absolutely nowhere but there. If you don't stop in time you go right into the ocean. There is nothing there. No buildings. You can camp wherever you please, no facilities. A few old guys living in their camper shells. A few people fishing or walking their dogs,, but sometimes on weekdays you have it all to yourself. Lots of shore birds. You can drive the beach in a city car, a mile or two each way. South ends at the mouth of the Rio Grande. North at the Brownville port channel, and you can see the big hotels of Padre Island across the water, but you can't get there, and even better, the spring breakers can't get to Boca Chica without driving about 90 minutes.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:21 PM

468 posts, read 168,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Since I usually just walk by the ocean, rather than swim or soak in the sun, any beach where I can hear crashing waves is glorious.

When I lived in Encinitas, CA last year, I loved walking at Moonlight Beach, because it's such a happy place... there's a small playground & volleyball nets, so there are happy kids of all ages, all the time. It's also a dog beach, so lots of activity. But, any of those SoCal beaches are great... Coronado, Carlsbad, La Jolla & further north to Santa Barbara... gosh, the beach scenery just get more glorious the further north you drive... cliffs, those beautiful, giant black rocks that jut out of the water & I love seeing people of any age utilizing the beaches & oceans... makes me feel happy to see others relaxing & enjoying themselves.

I've lived almost all my life mere blocks from an ocean. I've got to move inland this month & it's going to be a tough transition. I don't know if I can do it.
Except for a couple of years at college in Kentucky I too have always lived near the ocean..never more than 1/2 an hour away.....the beautiful Atlantic ocean near me on the east end of Long Island and when I lived in southeast Florida I was never more than a 10 minute drive to the ocean beaches.....

Now as I age I often think of checking out some other place to live ....for example like I would like to explore upstate NY but the thought of living over an hour max from the ocean is a depressing thought as the ocean is the one place I feel true peace and the time to forget all about the rest of what is going on in the world....I go to the ocean year round and truly do not know if I could live away from it....

So I would like to ask you who has lived always near the ocean how has been the transition for you so far?

Last edited by NY 915; 04-07-2018 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-07-2018, 12:30 PM

468 posts, read 168,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Most of us Coast/Island dwellers have at least one. But - pray tell - where in the world is your favourite beach located?

I have a listed few. Will post my pics/locations once I dig them up. Until then, I look forward to seeing your fav beach spots. Please share.

My favorite beaches are on the Atlantic ocean side of Eastern Long Island...so many of them but my favorites are located in the township of Southampton, NY...which includes Westhampton beach and also there is a most beautiful county park beach there as well called Cupsogue .....highly rated by both locals and visitors alike

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._New_York.html

When I lived in southeast Florida my favorite beaches were Ft Lauderdale and Hollywood and when I moved up to West Palm Beach my favorite beach was a bit north which was Jupiter Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or