U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 10:56 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,594,641 times

Advertisements

OK, I don't know how to approach this itinerary since it's the direct opposite of how I travel - multiple cities spread across 5 countries in a bit over 2 weeks. I hope your partner really loves you because by day 9 I would think a physical & psychological exhaustion would set in due to all the hotel check-outs, flights & trains & all of the lines & jostling & hassles they all entail & grappling with new local languages & customs almost every day. The only justification I could see for this is if there is a fatal medical syndrome involved & this is a bucket list thing or you aim is to explore various modes of transportation across Europe, but then you mention you have a 10 year scheme to travel...

What's the rush? You mention you do a similar style for work but shouldn't a holiday differ from work? I really don't get this approach & I will answer your question honestly & say "Yes it is crazy". As above, the max should be LON-PAR-ROM & personally I say Rome, my favorite city in the world, is the odd man out here. I would save it for a later Italian/Mediterranean trip & do a UK - Paris trip, there are plenty of places near these worth looking into over 2 weeks.

Also flying to LON is typically the most expensive destination since the local government typically adds about $120 in fees/taxes iirc, check to see if that's included in the price you are getting for LON ticket prices.

Honestly it just sounds so manic to me, good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 12:15 PM

1,838 posts, read 792,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
So we are planning a trip to Europe in July and will be there for about 2 and half weeks.

Is this too crazy? From my research, it seems like plenty of people are successful at seeing so much at such an aggressive pace, but I would like some more feedback hopefully from people that have done it. I really want to see as much as possible on this trip but I think 2-3 days per city would be fine. Our next trip to Europe will include Berlin, Istanbul etc so I think we are sticking to this area for this trip. We also want to see Australia, Dubai and do an Asian trip over the next ten years, so we got to see what we can on this trip because we probably wont make it back to many of these places.

Here is what I'm thinking:

We live in the DC area with nonstops from both BWI and Dulles to London, but they are evening flights arriving in London in the morning. It seems like London is the cheapest place to fly into.

So: Day 0, leave DC area on overnight 7 hour flight to London.

Day 1 Arrive London early. Tour London some, get to hotel early and get some sleep.

Day 2 London

Day 3 London

Day 4 Early flight to Amsterdam 1.5 hour flight, be in Amsterdam by lunch.

Day 5 Amsterdam

Day 6 Early morning Train to Paris 3 hours (possibly stop in Brussels for a few hours)

Day 7 Paris

Day 8 Paris

Day 9 Train from Paris to Barcelona

Day 10 Barcelona

Day 11 Evening flight to Venice

Day 12 Spend morning in Venice, then train to Rome that evening.

Day 13 Rome

Day 14 Rome

Day 15 Rome - Fly back to London Should have some additional time in London

Day 17 Travel day from London to DC

Thoughts?

Yeah, you don't have to fly into and out of the same city. Based on local I would do Barcelona to Rome then to Venice and fly back from Venice but if there are better flights out of Rome to DC then do it the way you have it but skip the flight back to London and increase time spent in Venice. 1/2 day is really not enough IMO to enjoy the beauty of Venice, you might as well not go there with just a 1/2 day. Or skip Venice all together and increase time in Barcelona.

ETA: It is a little much in the number of cities. Do London Paris, Rome and Venice, maybe toss in Florence. Fly back either out of Rome or Venice which ever is more convenient. There is a supertrain from London to Paris that will have you in London by lunch. You can train around Italy easily starting at whatever city you decide first to fly into from Paris.

Last edited by NorthofHere; 02-02-2018 at 12:33 PM..

Old 02-02-2018, 12:54 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,281,848 times
I took a month long trip to northern italy in 2015. My biggest disappointment was venice. If you want to do good photography you have to do it at sunrise and before 9 am. After that everything is crowded ad nauseum. St Mark Place and the cathedral have a habit of flooding even in good weather. High tides is a thing there. When I was there, they had erected a catwalk 2 feet off the floor and the cathedral was partly flooded.
People, people everywhere. Souvenir and handbag hawkers everywhere, , crowded and frustrating. Water taxis are standing room only. We were there 5 days and hated almost every minute of it. Kept something for better, but never got it.

A lot of it has to do with your age, how fit you are and how willing are you to race from place to place. Be selective on what you want to see, plan, plan, plan.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:45 PM

13,895 posts, read 25,351,824 times
I would do it! I think it's just natural to want to see as much as possible. I have done a few trips like this and I see it as an introduction and an opportunity to decide which of these places are worth a return trip. You will have time to hit the highlights and that's it!

Old 02-02-2018, 01:58 PM

10,850 posts, read 19,451,092 times
Wow, thanks for all the feedback. My plans keep changing, this requires a lot of planning and logistics.

I'm trying to stick with trains to avoid customs etc.

I can't decide between Barcelona or Amsterdam. I'm leaning toward Amsterdam since it's easier to get to from Paris by train.

I honestly don't have a lot of interest in Venice, it just seems like a pita for the time it would take away from other places. That seems to be the general feedback I'm getting from here and other research.

So now I'm thinking:

London-Paris-Amsterdam-Rome

or

London-Paris-Barcelona-Rome

The advantage of Amsterdam is I can fly into London or Amsterdam and train to Paris and train to London or Amsterdam then fly on to Rome. If we want to do Barcelona that would add more travel time within Europe, probably a flight. So maybe I should save Spain for another trip so we can go to Madrid as well.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
I am from the DC area and I would recommend looking into flying from JFK on Emirates to Milan. Emirates often has deals for less than $400 a person, they just had a sale and will probably come out with another one in a few weeks. Another option is to fly another city like Brussels or Amsterdam as they can be some of the cheaper entry points into Europe from the US. You can then hop on another flight to London. Internal flights in Europe are much cheaper than we are used to in the US and it doesn't have to be on low cost carrier.

Newark is also another option and it has the advantage of it being easier to get to because it is an Amtrak stop whereas I rather drive to JFK with a one way rental.

My recommendation if you want to hit multiple cities is use trains when possible and this includes London to Paris. There are some destinations that can even be done as day trips because of high speed train. For example, we did a day trip from Rome to Florence and on another trip we did a day trip to Pisa from Florence.

Even if some of you destinations require a flight, just try to take the first flight of the day.

Since your goal doesn't seem to be to fully explore a city then your plans are doable. I have done trips to Europe that have involved 5 or more cities in less time than you are planning. The key is just looking at what your travel options are and making sure that they are feasible, I like using sites like Rome 2 Rio to find out how easy it is to travel between the cities I'm interested in and the costs.
Thanks, it looks like taking the train from BWI to Newark for a nonstop flight to and from two different cities via Norwegian airlines might be the best option I have found so far. Emirates looks like a great airline, I saw their ads at a recent Caps game and started following them. They have some great deals from Dulles to places all over the world.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:29 PM

2,143 posts, read 3,562,809 times
Quote:
Wow, thanks for all the feedback. My plans keep changing, this requires a lot of planning and logistics.

I'm trying to stick with trains to avoid customs etc.

I can't decide between Barcelona or Amsterdam. I'm leaning toward Amsterdam since it's easier to get to from Paris by train.

I honestly don't have a lot of interest in Venice, it just seems like a pita for the time it would take away from other places. That seems to be the general feedback I'm getting from here and other research.

So now I'm thinking:

London-Paris-Amsterdam-Rome

or

London-Paris-Barcelona-Rome

The advantage of Amsterdam is I can fly into London or Amsterdam and train to Paris and train to London or Amsterdam then fly on to Rome. If we want to do Barcelona that would add more travel time within Europe, probably a flight. So maybe I should save Spain for another trip so we can go to Madrid as well.
OP - based on your posts, photography is important. I don't know if you're carrying gear with you, but I reckon your original itinerary would have been a pain with all of your equipment. Can you give us a breakdown of how much of this trip is for photo purposes and how much of it is leisure? Truthfully, if Amsterdam is that important to you, I would leave it in. It's just a question of whether a 4th city makes sense.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
OP - based on your posts, photography is important. I don't know if you're carrying gear with you, but I reckon your original itinerary would have been a pain with all of your equipment. Can you give us a breakdown of how much of this trip is for photo purposes and how much of it is leisure? Truthfully, if Amsterdam is that important to you, I would leave it in. It's just a question of whether a 4th city makes sense.
Yea, that's a big reason I need to narrow things down. I will have a lot of camera gear with me at all times in a large backpack and the times we don't have a hotel to keep luggage and gear, we will have to lug it around as well. Photography is a big reason I travel everywhere. I have a website skylinescenes.com if you are interested in the type of photos I get. I try to keep trips with as much leisure as possible, but at the same time, scouting for good photo and then coming back during the right lighting etc for photos is always a huge priority. I will also attempt to charter helicopters for aerial photos where I can and that will eat up a half day.

We recently went to Honolulu and I was able to mix work with pleasure quite well. We added San Diego to the trip for more photo ops. I have been to all American cities multiple times, so when I travel, I just want be a local, eat, rent bikes and take photos for the most part.

Also, other than hitting the highlights, I don't have to see everything. Personally areas that are overloaded with tourist kind of annoy me. I go to NYC many times a year and have yet never even been to the statue of liberty or in the empire state building. That said, we will want to see some of the ultra touristy areas of these cities of course. But I will be pretty choosy on what I will spend hours doing as far as touristy stuff.

I also plan to get photos of these cities that tourists don't normally take in addition to the typical iconic photos that are taken a million times a day.

I don't know that Amsterdam is that important, but would like to hit up something a little less busy than London-Paris-Rome to give us a break from the bigger cities. Amsterdam seems pretty photogenic too.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:14 PM

2,552 posts, read 1,646,355 times
Quote:
Thanks, it looks like taking the train from BWI to Newark for a nonstop flight to and from two different cities via Norwegian airlines might be the best option I have found so far. Emirates looks like a great airline, I saw their ads at a recent Caps game and started following them. They have some great deals from Dulles to places all over the world.
You must factor in the extra fees with Norwegian (luggage and food). It may not be a cheap option, especially if you have a lot of luggage.

Did you find my fare with Virgin Atlantic?

Amsterdam is definitely more convenient but not worth a lot of time there.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:54 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,459,772 times
That itinerary is completely crazy. Cut the number of cities in half, slow down, and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or