U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 12:04 AM

10,850 posts, read 19,454,476 times

Advertisements

Well, it's set.

BA flight July 3 non stop overnight from BWI arriving London early morning on the 4th.
July 4th London
July 5th London
July 6th London
Eurostar from London to Paris on morning of July 7th (Eurostar seem expensive on Saturdays, oh well).
July 7th Paris
July 8th Paris
July 9th Paris
Thalys high speed train from Paris to Amsterdam July 10th, arrive Amsterdam around lunch time.
July 10th Amsterdam
July 11th Amsterdam
July 12th Amsterdam
July 13 early morning flight from Amsterdam to Rome
July 14 Rome
July 15 Rome
July 16 Rome
July 17 Early train to Florence to spend day there and possibly cut a day from Rome and add Venice or Nice.
July 18 Early morning flight from Florence to London, layover for a few hours for afternoon flight back to BWI.

Some of this may change some. For example, we may venture out away from the cities of Rome and Amsterdam parts of the time there.

Paris till morning of the
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 05:23 AM

9,890 posts, read 10,144,021 times
FLying to Europe is no longer the big expense of the trip. The high speed rail, hotels, and food are the bulk of the expenses. I would stick to northern Europe and cut out the long trip Italy. Consider a side trip to Oxford in the United Kingdom.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:53 AM

28,554 posts, read 62,302,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

London-Amsterdam-Paris-Barcelona-Venice-Rome in 17 days?
Is this too crazy?
Yes it is.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:54 AM

11,733 posts, read 4,013,521 times
The best option is just taking the Eurostar from St Pancras in London to Gare de Lyon in Paris, this only takes a couple of hours. The current Eurostar Service to Amsterdam takes at least 4 hours and you have to change trains in Belgium. They are bringing a new direct Eurostar service between London and Amsterdam but nthat doesn't start until later in the year and there is talk of an express service starting in 2019.

The other option would be to take the Docklands Light Railway (22 minutes from Bank Underground Station in the City of London) to the London City Airport near to Canary Wharf and fly to Amsterdam, if you really want to go to Amsterdam first and have a limited time frame. Both KLM and British Airways operate regular Amsterdam Services, although they are more expensive than budget airlines at airports further out of London.

London City Airport

Whatever you decide book your tickets as far in advance as possible, as it's often far cheaper.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-05-2018 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-05-2018, 09:13 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,030,482 times
If this is your first trip, this is fine. Will give you an idea of where you want to return.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:04 AM

2,553 posts, read 1,648,555 times
I would cut down Amsterdam and Increase Rome/ Florence.

Or do Amsterdam side trip such as visit Giethoorn, cute small town with canal. Keukenhof probably doesn't have any tulip in July so not worth visiting.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:36 AM

9,890 posts, read 10,144,021 times
Italy is a world into itself, and two weeks there will make you feel like you just scratched the surface. From BWI there is WOW Air where you can fly into Rome and Milan via Iceland for very cheap. You might be able to fly from Iceland into Milan and return from Rome so you don't spend so much time backtracking in Italy just to catch a flight.

Personally, I would make this trip your northern European trip. Add some train destinations in your choice of Belgium , Luxembourg or Germany. I think London to Edinburgh, Scotland is about 4 hours by train, which compares with the wait time to the airport and flight to Italy Consider Oxford and/or Stratford-upon-Avon.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:51 AM

1,844 posts, read 1,948,191 times
Honestly, I think this is totally wrong. One day for Barcelona and half a day for Venice? One day for Amsterdam?
Jesus Christ, there are destinations on their own, where you could spend at least one week in each immersing in the culture, food, people. Jesus! I'm speechless!

Why Americans want to do this it beats me!!! You will be tired and won't see much, but hey, you could brag to people you've seen so many countries in so few days.

If you were really genuinely interested in seeing and learning something about all these places I';d start by what I want to see in all these countries. Museums, tours whatever it is that you are interested in.

Then I'll build the trip around that. And I'd take less destinations and more trips. Who forces you to visit x countries in n days?

To answer your question imagine this: you are at a gorgeous buffet, nicely presented with amazing food. Instead of enjoying a few out of this world dishes you cram your plate with whatever you can get your hands on and in the end you taste nothing and you get nausea.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:10 PM

2,553 posts, read 1,648,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Honestly, I think this is totally wrong. One day for Barcelona and half a day for Venice? One day for Amsterdam?
Jesus Christ, there are destinations on their own, where you could spend at least one week in each immersing in the culture, food, people. Jesus! I'm speechless!

Why Americans want to do this it beats me!!! You will be tired and won't see much, but hey, you could brag to people you've seen so many countries in so few days.

If you were really genuinely interested in seeing and learning something about all these places I';d start by what I want to see in all these countries. Museums, tours whatever it is that you are interested in.

Then I'll build the trip around that. And I'd take less destinations and more trips. Who forces you to visit x countries in n days?

To answer your question imagine this: you are at a gorgeous buffet, nicely presented with amazing food. Instead of enjoying a few out of this world dishes you cram your plate with whatever you can get your hands on and in the end you taste nothing and you get nausea.
The itinerary was already changed by the OP. Please look at this post London-Amsterdam-Paris-Barcelona-Venice-Rome in 17 days?.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:33 PM

2,143 posts, read 3,563,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Well, it's set.

BA flight July 3 non stop overnight from BWI arriving London early morning on the 4th.
July 4th London
July 5th London
July 6th London
Eurostar from London to Paris on morning of July 7th (Eurostar seem expensive on Saturdays, oh well).
July 7th Paris
July 8th Paris
July 9th Paris
Thalys high speed train from Paris to Amsterdam July 10th, arrive Amsterdam around lunch time.
July 10th Amsterdam
July 11th Amsterdam
July 12th Amsterdam
July 13 early morning flight from Amsterdam to Rome
July 14 Rome
July 15 Rome
July 16 Rome
July 17 Early train to Florence to spend day there and possibly cut a day from Rome and add Venice or Nice.
July 18 Early morning flight from Florence to London, layover for a few hours for afternoon flight back to BWI.

Some of this may change some. For example, we may venture out away from the cities of Rome and Amsterdam parts of the time there.

Paris till morning of the
I would cut a day from Amsterdam, and add an extra day in Florence. I know this is mostly a photography trip and I'm trying my hardest not to think like a tourist and go "you need another day in Florence to go to the Duomo, etc" but 3.5 days in Amsterdam is more than enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or