U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 12:51 PM

10,848 posts, read 19,444,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I would cut a day from Amsterdam, and add an extra day in Florence. I know this is mostly a photography trip and I'm trying my hardest not to think like a tourist and go "you need another day in Florence to go to the Duomo, etc" but 3.5 days in Amsterdam is more than enough.
Yea, I will probably shift one day from Amsterdam to Paris or Italy. Amsterdam actually interests me quite a bit. I like the scale and how walkable and bike friendly the city is. The trams, the canals etc. It just seems like a place to just chill out. I'm more the type of person to spend several hours on a bicycle randomly riding around a city than spending four hours in a museum full of obnoxious tourists. Not that we won't be hitting a few museums on the trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 02:00 PM

2,551 posts, read 1,645,278 times
I am only into beautiful architecture and scenery, not museum so I don't care much for Florence. But the surrounding Tuscany countryside is beautiful and deserves more than 1 day. Sienna is very beautiful and photogenic city. There are many beautiful hilltops village in Tuscany, my favorite are Montepulciano and San Gimignano.

Besides Florence, the Amalfi coast is easily accessible from Rome but I would recommend at least 3 days there to fully appreciate their beauty. I would skip Naples. Overnight in Positano is magical.

One day in Venice is too short, imho.

Nice deserves 3-4 days to visit since there are too many beautiful surrounding towns/Cities to visit (Monte Carlo, Eze, Menton, Cap Ferrat, Cannes, Antibes, St Tropez, etc...)

Old 02-05-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The best option is just taking the Eurostar from St Pancras in London to Gare de Lyon in Paris, this only takes a couple of hours. The current Eurostar Service to Amsterdam takes at least 4 hours and you have to change trains in Belgium. They are bringing a new direct Eurostar service between London and Amsterdam but nthat doesn't start until later in the year and there is talk of an express service starting in 2019.

The other option would be to take the Docklands Light Railway (22 minutes from Bank Underground Station in the City of London) to the London City Airport near to Canary Wharf and fly to Amsterdam, if you really want to go to Amsterdam first and have a limited time frame. Both KLM and British Airways operate regular Amsterdam Services, although they are more expensive than budget airlines at airports further out of London.

London City Airport

Whatever you decide book your tickets as far in advance as possible, as it's often far cheaper.
We plan to take the Eurostar from London to Paris, spend a few days in Paris and then take Thalys from Paris to Amsterdam. Then we will fly from Amsterdam to Rome.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I am only into beautiful architecture and scenery, not museum so I don't care much for Florence. But the surrounding Tuscany countryside is beautiful and deserves more than 1 day. Sienna is very beautiful and photogenic city. There are many beautiful hilltops village in Tuscany, my favorite are Montepulciano and San Gimignano.

Besides Florence, the Amalfi coast is easily accessible from Rome but I would recommend at least 3 days there to fully appreciate their beauty. I would skip Naples. Overnight in Positano is magical.

One day in Venice is too short, imho.

Nice deserves 3-4 days to visit since there are too many beautiful surrounding towns/Cities to visit (Monte Carlo, Eze, Menton, Cap Ferrat, Cannes, Antibes, St Tropez, etc...)
Yea, honestly Florence doesn't interest me all that much. If we have time, I wouldn't mind at least seeing it. I have read a lot online and on youtube that Venice becomes annoying and the crowds and high cost of ever thing will wear thin quickly. So if we did see it, I would probably make it a quick trip. I'm pretty sure this trip will be mostly the bigger cities.

We also may try to get out and see Rotterdam, a castle or windmill etc while in Amsterdam. I just depends on how much time we have after seeing what we want to see in the bigger cities.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:58 PM

2,551 posts, read 1,645,278 times
If you are into modern architecture, Rotterdam may be worth it. I am personal not a fan.

I also think the windmills are also overrated. The UNESCO one is Kinderdijk.

I still love Venice despite the crowd. It is just too unique and I don't find Venice that expensive.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
If you are into modern architecture, Rotterdam may be worth it. I am personal not a fan.

I also think the windmills are also overrated. The UNESCO one is Kinderdijk.

I still love Venice despite the crowd. It is just too unique and I don't find Venice that expensive.
I'm trying to justify to myself that it's okay to not stop in Venice, and you are not helping .

I do think we will do a quick road trip to Rotterdam while in Amsterdam. Looks like an interesting city and it's not too far out of the way and we can get the windmills out of the way too there.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:57 AM

1,184 posts, read 480,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I do think we will do a quick road trip to Rotterdam while in Amsterdam. Looks like an interesting city and it's not too far out of the way and we can get the windmills out of the way too there.
An easy trek by train out of Amsterdam to see windmills is Zaanse Schans. Kind of touristy, but fun for a couple hours.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
An easy trek by train out of Amsterdam to see windmills is Zaanse Schans. Kind of touristy, but fun for a couple hours.
Great, thanks!

Old 02-06-2018, 08:36 AM

13,962 posts, read 7,434,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The best option is just taking the Eurostar from St Pancras in London to Gare de Lyon in Paris, this only takes a couple of hours. The current Eurostar Service to Amsterdam takes at least 4 hours and you have to change trains in Belgium. They are bringing a new direct Eurostar service between London and Amsterdam but nthat doesn't start until later in the year and there is talk of an express service starting in 2019.

The other option would be to take the Docklands Light Railway (22 minutes from Bank Underground Station in the City of London) to the London City Airport near to Canary Wharf and fly to Amsterdam, if you really want to go to Amsterdam first and have a limited time frame. Both KLM and British Airways operate regular Amsterdam Services, although they are more expensive than budget airlines at airports further out of London.

London City Airport

Whatever you decide book your tickets as far in advance as possible, as it's often far cheaper.
Eurostar comes into the North African refugee camp otherwise known as Gare du Nord. Not my favorite part of Paris. Lol

I personally donít understand the multiple city thing. Maybe itís because Iíve worked in Europe frequently. Iíd rather rent a car and see the countryside. Iíve worked in Brittany. Iíve worked in Sophia Antipolis near Nice. France isnít just Paris. Thatís fine as a base but Iíd rather hang out in some medieval walled village in Alsace drinking pinot gris than do the death march through the Louvre with the Chinese tourists.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:24 AM

3,665 posts, read 6,491,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, I will probably shift one day from Amsterdam to Paris or Italy. Amsterdam actually interests me quite a bit. I like the scale and how walkable and bike friendly the city is. The trams, the canals etc. It just seems like a place to just chill out. I'm more the type of person to spend several hours on a bicycle randomly riding around a city than spending four hours in a museum full of obnoxious tourists. Not that we won't be hitting a few museums on the trip.
It is a great city for that.. I've been at least a half dozen times (and going again in May)... My best recommendation (other than the Anne Frank House) is to do the Hungry Birds Food Tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or