Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 09:41 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times

Advertisements

I have done a lot of traveling and these would be my suggestions.

1. When you say "an hour and a half flight" you are forgetting about packing up, checking out, getting to the airport, going through security, waiting for the flight, flying, getting your bags and getting into the city. It pretty much takes a whole day to fly anywhere, even somewhere close.

2. TOTALLY agree with the open jaw ticket. Into London and out of Rome for instance.

3. Consider an overnight ferry from London to Amsterdam. I have done this a couple of times. The ticket includes a train ticket from the London area to the ferry, a cabin for the night, and then a ticket to anywhere in the Netherlands. Because you don't waste a DAY traveling and it's cheaper to sleep on the ferry than in a hotel:

https://www.seat61.com/Netherlands.htm

4. No need for TOO early of a train to Paris ex Amsterdam. We left around 10 and got there at 1 and still had a lot of time and weren't overly tired from the early morning.

5. Skip Barcelona. It's too much travel for one day there. I love LOVE Venice. Although you know that July is going to be pretty crowded everywhere. Or skip Venice and just do Barcelona and Rome.

Because you are doing this on your own, which I applaud, it's harder to do what you'd do on a tour bus where you just have to sit there and watch the world go by. This itinerary will just make you tired an only see airports!

PS. I think PLANNING a trip is part of the fun, so enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 10:19 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
It is a great city for that.. I've been at least a half dozen times (and going again in May)... My best recommendation (other than the Anne Frank House) is to do the Hungry Birds Food Tour.
Van Gogh museum is my Amsterdam #1. I did the Anne Frank House maybe 25 years ago. Not a do-over.

The Indonesian food is really good. And Heineken that doesn’t taste skunked. Who knew? Lol

Old 02-06-2018, 11:45 AM

1,584 posts, read 980,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Van Gogh museum is my Amsterdam #1. I did the Anne Frank House maybe 25 years ago. Not a do-over.

The Indonesian food is really good. And Heineken that doesn’t taste skunked. Who knew? Lol
Loved the Van Gogh Museum, though the Rijksmuseum is a must as well. They're close by each other and the contemporary art museum, the Stedelijk. Not sure I'd go back to the Anne Frank House a second time either, but it's a must to see once.

And yes, a meal at an Indonesian eatery is a must. Rijsttafel, sort of the Indonesian smorgasbord equivalent, is a great choice.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:36 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
This time around I really enjoyed the Rijksmuseum more than the Van Gogh. It's been remodeled and not nearly so dark. The architect that designed it also did the Centraal Train Station. At the time the two defined the parameter of the city.

IF you are going to either musuem or the Ann Frank Museum (which can have lines that are 2 hours long) you should get tickets online in advance. Easy to do. Some are 'timed' for a certain window and some aren't. But going in the summer, it's a must!

I thought the Ibis hotel right next to the train station was OK. It's not fancy, but it gets the job done and the location near the train station is great. All the trams start and end there (mostly) and then you're right there for your train trip. Also, cheaper to book your train ticket online. Tickets are on sale 3 months out. 2nd class not that much different than 1st class. Just slightly wider seats.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Went to see windmills on our river cruise.

Meh.

I agree with the museums.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:07 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
This time around I really enjoyed the Rijksmuseum more than the Van Gogh. It's been remodeled and not nearly so dark. The architect that designed it also did the Centraal Train Station. At the time the two defined the parameter of the city.

IF you are going to either musuem or the Ann Frank Museum (which can have lines that are 2 hours long) you should get tickets online in advance. Easy to do. Some are 'timed' for a certain window and some aren't. But going in the summer, it's a must!

I thought the Ibis hotel right next to the train station was OK. It's not fancy, but it gets the job done and the location near the train station is great. All the trams start and end there (mostly) and then you're right there for your train trip. Also, cheaper to book your train ticket online. Tickets are on sale 3 months out. 2nd class not that much different than 1st class. Just slightly wider seats.
Yeah, and the Anne Frank ones come out I believe 2 months ahead, you need to get them ASAP or they will be gone.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:25 PM

Amsterdam.

Re the Van Gogh museum, we walked up and stood in line about two minutes to get tickets. This was May of 2017.

While you are there make sure you ask a native how they pronounce Van Gogh.

I'm trying to remember directions for a pancake place we went to. We had full plate pancakes and "real" Coke in a glass bottle made with sugar. I forget how good Coke was before they started adding all the fake sweeteners to it.

Found it. Noticed a brochure in one of the pictures. Here's Travel Advisor's page about it.

Seriously yummy food.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 02-07-2018 at 05:39 PM..

Old 02-07-2018, 05:38 PM

Amsterdam.

If you enjoy Tapas we ate here. Got lucky and sat at a table outside. Met a wonderful couple who lived around the corner and had quite a pleasant conversation with them. Great food. The conversation started because we had finished our wine and I spotted our waiter going into the restaurant. I held up my glass and two fingers. The man next to me said I was fluent in Spanish.

The "trail" on that page is from our hotel to the restaurant. We stayed at the

Ambassade Hotel
Herengracht 341
1016 AZ Amsterdam
Netherlands
+31(0)20 555 0222
info@ambassade-hotel.nl

One of our splurges during this trip.

I know the odds of you being close to either of these, but if you are...

Something my wife spotted as we were walking to the museums.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:44 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Amsterdam.

Re the Van Gogh museum, we walked up and stood in line about two minutes to get tickets. This was May of 2017.

While you are there make sure you ask a native how they pronounce Van Gogh.

I'm trying to remember directions for a pancake place we went to. We had full plate pancakes and "real" Coke in a glass bottle made with sugar. I forget how good Coke was before they started adding all the fake sweeteners to it.

Found it. Noticed a brochure in one of the pictures. Here's Travel Advisor's page about it.

Seriously yummy food.

I'm 99.999% I've eaten here and it was DELICIOUS.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:59 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Better be sure that the canals in Venice have water in them. Now, there's just mud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel