U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 04:23 PM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times

Advertisements

Daughter is about to embark on a weeklong trip to Mexico city, Any advice tips as to what to do or see, how safe is itÉ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 05:25 PM

4,375 posts, read 1,663,688 times
How old is your daughter and who is she going with? No answer will be meaningful without that background.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:31 PM

708 posts, read 776,590 times
Teotihuacan is my number one reason to go. That’s what I’m interested in seeing. I’m a history/ancient civilization enthusiast, but I believe it’s worth seeing regardless. There are multiple tours available, some with with knowledgeable archaeologists. I’m told it’s best to go early to avoid crowds. Some tours allow to go to the top of one of the pyramids.

Beyond that, I would take a tour of Mexico City and look for a foodie tour also.

I’m told it’s better to go knowing some basic Spanish, enough to get around. I’m not sure about traveling around on my own there. Info from those I know who have been recently (not years ago) have been mixed in terms of safety. Most agree being out late at night isn’t a good idea. As a woman who will probably go solo, I plan on booking private and semi-private (very small group) tours. I don’t think I would do a lot on my own there unless I felt comfortable and that’s not something I would know until I got there.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:43 PM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Daughter 28 going with girl friend also 28

Old 02-05-2018, 09:31 PM

4,375 posts, read 1,663,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Daughter 28 going with girl friend also 28
OK, don't worry about them, they know how to take care of themselves. Mexico is just like any other big city, same risks, same dangers. Wikitravel will pretty well answer any questions they might have about logistics and things to do.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:10 AM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
My elderly uncle (in his early 80s) visited Mexico City within the last few months. He said tourist areas of the city are relatively safe for travelers. He did take the local subway trains which he said were overcrowded. He also took taxis on other occasions which were completely safe from what I understood. He enjoyed the local museums and restaurants.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:03 AM

5,926 posts, read 2,887,264 times
There are many areas of the city that are quite safe, and these are usually where tourists stay. Centro Historico, Condesa, Roma, Hipodromo are four of the cleanest, safest zones and I'll bet your daughter is staying in one of them. Condesa and Roma are even safe pretty late at night, lots of bars/cafes there and people are out and about at all hours.

For things to do I'd second Teotihuacan, that's the standard tourist destination and is pretty awesome whether one is interested in ancient civilizations or not. For right in town she should check out the National Museum of Anthropology, they have an amazing collection there including the original Aztec sun stone. There is also a pretty good zoo that is completely free in Chapultepec Park. Going to the Zocalo downtown gets lots of stuff in one outing since Cathedral, Plaza, Templo, etc. We were there in late 2017 and they had much of the plaza walled off, I'm not sure why so hopefully whatever they were doing is finished.

Two easy ways to make her travel easier:
1. Get a metro card, it's good for both the subway and the express buses. Between those two systems you can cover a lot of the city for cheap.
2. Learn the names of some of the common street foods, since much of same stuff is served in small local restaurants. Tinga, alambre, chilaquiles, rellenos, sope, tlayuda, elote/esquite, birria,guisados, etc.

She'll have a wonderful time, don't worry. Mexico City is so underrated as a tourist destination, it's one of my favorite cities in the world and has something for every taste. Also = if she wants a taste of back home there are a ton of American style wings and ribs places there now, as well as USA 50s style diners where locals dress all rockabilly and dance the night away. Fun times.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:23 AM

11,043 posts, read 3,984,632 times
She’s 28? She’ll be just fine if she has common sense. Just like if she was to travel anywhere else!

Old 02-06-2018, 07:39 AM

2,169 posts, read 4,194,718 times
The advice here is good-- Teotihuacan, the historic center, central cathedral and ruins, Anthropology Museum.... Also include the Coyoacan neighborhood which has the Frida Kahlo Museum. The Hostería de Santo Domingo downtown is an attractive, traditional place to eat, and Chiles en Nogada are their specialty. Lots of good food in that city.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:42 AM

2,593 posts, read 5,286,635 times
> Teotihuacan, the historic center, central cathedral and ruins, Anthropology Museum....

Yes I still remember these vividly after a visit many years ago.

> Frida Kahlo Museum

I live in the southwest so I have rather overdosed on Frida Kahlo. TMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel