U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 07:42 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,095,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
It's worthwhile if it's free and it's useful if you travel frequently. Or if you are congenitally late to the airport.

Global Entry is better but it is more trouble to get, as you need to make an appointment at a location (usually an airport) that may be far away.
One you are conditionally accepted for Global Entry you can start using your TSA benefits, the interview is needed to finalize the Global Entry component (photo and fingerprints). Unless you are planning on an international trip, you have a little luxury in scheduling your final appointment so you can schedule it for a time and place that works best for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 07:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What I really want is NEXUS to get to Canada easily but that's even farther for me than Global Entry.
but Nexus is CHEAPER!!!

NEXUS it will need to be 'next time'... By then, they should have me 'embedded' with all my RFID 'Trusted Traveler chips'. My 'Enhanced' WA DL (for MUCH hassle and $230) is worthless as a credential to fly but, required for my occasional PT employment gigs (Port Clearance for CDL drivers).

Definitely use the "Mobile Passport" when able!

I am quite surprised by the high number of 'casual' travelers who get TSA Pre just so they don't have to remove their shoes... I have been timing that process... ~ Requiring 5-8 seconds each end of the line (with laces)... and I have not even upgraded to "Velcro Keds!". I will be 'Lightning fast' when I go to Velcro!

Swoosh, right through TSA like a FLASH! (38 flights so far this yr, so Velcro would have saved me about 4 minutes!)

Old 02-07-2018, 07:59 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,734,771 times
When I fly, I always seem to have the TSA Pre Check automatically come out on my ticket. I don't ever recall signing up for it. Does anyone know how that may have happened? I'm not complaining!

Old 02-07-2018, 09:44 PM

9,264 posts, read 11,820,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
When I fly, I always seem to have the TSA Pre Check automatically come out on my ticket. I don't ever recall signing up for it. Does anyone know how that may have happened? I'm not complaining!
Many airlines participate in the TSA Pre-Check submission program. Basically, if you are buying your ticket in advance (enough time to be processed through all the systems) and your personal information is on file with DHS already, and there is nothing b about your trip that raises red flags, TSA will authorize a PreCheck for you on a flight. You don't have to sign up for anything or pay anything, it's a gift to you. The downside is it's not like the advance PreCheck clearance which is yours, this is a courtesy. You may get it one way but not the other. If you don't travel a lot, are useing a participating airline, you buy the tickets in advance, and you generally have no red flags in your life, odds are you will get a courtesy PreCheck.

Last edited by Rabrrita; 02-07-2018 at 10:36 PM..

Old 02-07-2018, 10:15 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,764,009 times
Unless you are someone who travels constantly for work/business, it's not worth the hassle. PreCheck lines aren't always open at every airport! Frequently, they're closed because they don't have enough TSA agents to run an extra line. When they are open, the lines aren't much shorter usually.

Do you know what's involved in getting a PreCheck? You have to pay for it. You have to go to the airport to conduct the interview. All this for something you're doing for the first time in 10-12 years? Why not wait and see how often you'll actually fly?

Old 02-07-2018, 10:51 PM

3,454 posts, read 2,254,936 times
I've never registered for PreCheck but get it often, particularly (but not only) on Southwest. I travel overseas once a year and domestically two or three times a year. Probably get it because I'm a harmless old lady.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:51 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,002,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I have PreCheck and use it at least once a month. More and more people are getting PreCheck and the lines are getting longer. In some cases, the PreCheck line is longer than the regular line (though it moves faster)

This is going to make me sound like a total B*****, but I don't want more casual travelers in the PreCheck line. It was intended for frequent flyers, and I wish it could stay as such. I would not be opposed if they imposed a minimum number of flights per year in order to maintain your status. (But that'll never happen)

We're not far from it becoming a pointless status.
I'm disabled. So you think *I* should not be allowed to use precheck because it might slow *you* down.

Mmmm-hmmmm. See me not care. At least they don't make me open everything up and take my shoes off and pat me down while teetering there without my cane, which they are also not disassembling to see if its really a bomb.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I'm disabled. So you think *I* should not be allowed to use precheck because it might slow *you* down.

Mmmm-hmmmm. See me not care. At least they don't make me open everything up and take my shoes off and pat me down while teetering there without my cane, which they are also not disassembling to see if its really a bomb.
If you are running a security screening program for air travelers, the LAST place you put disabled travelers is in 'Pre-Check' . Fortunately TSA has better provisions (I hope!) (Usually off to the side of pre-check / or Crew).

I have seen TSA dismantle many a wheelchair (and pet carrier), I would expect they will do the same with canes, any ole time they get the urge. (regardless of 'perceived' risk / traveler / personal situation).

I will be REAL happy when they make a 'pet-only lane'. Less fleas, less bites, less disruption to the work flow for the 90% of 'average' travelers (us non-privileged grunts).

Old 02-08-2018, 02:34 AM

71,520 posts, read 71,712,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I've never registered for PreCheck but get it often, particularly (but not only) on Southwest. I travel overseas once a year and domestically two or three times a year. Probably get it because I'm a harmless old lady.
last trip my wife and i took was weird . we got precheck free for years ,just randomly picked i guess .

my ticket going showed tsa precheck , hers did not . so i figured hers ran out and mine will too soon .

so while in miami we signed up . my credit card pays for one of us anyway to get it . ironically though her ticket showed precheck on the flight home before we signed up but not going .

so now we both are paying for it and done .

Old 02-08-2018, 02:37 AM

71,520 posts, read 71,712,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Unless you are someone who travels constantly for work/business, it's not worth the hassle. PreCheck lines aren't always open at every airport! Frequently, they're closed because they don't have enough TSA agents to run an extra line. When they are open, the lines aren't much shorter usually.

Do you know what's involved in getting a PreCheck? You have to pay for it. You have to go to the airport to conduct the interview. All this for something you're doing for the first time in 10-12 years? Why not wait and see how often you'll actually fly?
we have found that wherever we go it has always been worth it . so far in years we never found it not to be faster unless it was a tiny airport like syracuse ny where there was no line at all for anything .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or