U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 10:36 AM

458 posts, read 631,415 times

Advertisements

Husband and I looking for a Caribbean destination for last week of June/first week of July. Wed like to be on a beach and within walking distance of restaurants, bars, and shops. Hubby would like some other things to see besides the beach. We dont necessarily need to be in the middle of a town, but dont want to be in an area that closes down at 9pm either. Hubby would prefer to not have to rent a car, but I think a car will probably be necessary.

Were considering St. Thomas and Eleuthera. Ive been reading its best to get beyond Nassau and Freeport and to explore Eleuthera and the Exumas, but is there enough nightlife there? Are there any places were missing?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 07:53 PM

4,431 posts, read 1,683,451 times
Grenada is a bit on the expensive side, but Caribbean islanders who know the island absolutely rave about it. Mostly, as a place to live, rather than vacation. Might be worth checking it out.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:13 PM

15,079 posts, read 19,030,481 times
I've never been, but know people who have visited eleuthera. Its very, very quiet there. Hubby will be most unhappy. This is a bit old, but i daresay still accurate. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...s_Bahamas.html

I've been to Grenada. It was. . . Okay.

St Thomas might be okay for you. It's not one of my favorites. I WOULD have suggested Puerto Rico, but since the hurricane, maybe not. You might want to consider Mexico, which fits what you are describing better than any Caribbean island, imho.

Have you considered a cruise?

Old 02-10-2018, 11:03 PM

3,300 posts, read 1,567,792 times
For that time of the year, two places come to mind. Punta Cana or Bayahibe in the DR and Aruba. The timing will get you low airfare and room price. Where are you flying out of?

In the DR , your vacation will be All Inclusive, like a cruise ship but on land. Bayahibe will put you in Dreams ,etc resort. The village is where all the boats depart for the island tour. there are restaurants that stay open late in the village as well. This part of the DR faces the Caribbean sea. Punta Cana is also good, your budget will dictate the level of all inclusiveness. Too many resorts to choose from.

Aruba has the best weather, 300 rain free days a year! Stay at Palm Beach at any beach hotel. For all your meals, you can do it in your hotel (boring) or go to the strip , like most everyone else. Many public restaurants and a commercial plaza . It is a popular destination for folks from Massachusetts for some reason. In my opinion, this island will really put a smile on your face.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:28 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,471,719 times
I would go with Aruba or Grand Cayman. Both have great beaches, fun nightlife, walking areas, and plenty of land-based activities to keep you busy.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:39 PM

458 posts, read 631,415 times
Thanks for the replies. Weve been to Aruba, so looking for a new place. Im more down for Grand Cayman then DH. Would like to go to Puerto Rico eventually. But decided to do St. Thomas/St. John this time around.

Thanks again!

Old 02-14-2018, 06:51 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,127,313 times
DR doesn't have to be all inclusive. One of my favorite places is there and would fit the bill for you...Las Terrenas. There are some AIs near there, but I'd steer you away from those.

Another spot that meets your criteria is Negril, Jamaica. You can go the AI route there, too, but I'd opt for a smaller boutique resort, of which there are many. There are two distinct parts of Negril - 7 Mile Beach and the West End. You can stay at the beach and take a taxi to the West End for a day on the cliffs, which are stunning and fun to jump from into the ocean!

Old 02-15-2018, 11:24 AM

2,549 posts, read 1,642,928 times
Is that time the starting of the hurricane season?

Old 02-15-2018, 01:02 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,471,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Is that time the starting of the hurricane season?
Technically, yes, but hurricanes don't happen often in July. You should be okay. I'm always worried more about late August/early September.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:31 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,553,315 times
St. John doesn’t have much night life, FYI. But it does have awesome stargazing and you can drink while doing it to create your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or