U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 06:05 PM

1,375 posts, read 632,466 times

Advertisements

I am curious what are some of the better frequent flyers program these days. It appears airlines mileage programs are getting increasingly stingy in letting travelers accue miles compared to back in the days when simply you fly and you will earn the number of miles you flwon. These days whether you get full miles, partial miles, or no miles whatsoever, depend on the booking class of the traveler's ticket. This info may not be very clear at booking. Many people only find out after receiving their boarding pass but than it would be too late.
Also since I heard that AA no longer allow AA advantage members to earn or redeem miles on Hawaiian Airlines miles between Hawaii and the mainland but allows AAadvantage miles to be earned or redeemed in interHawaii flights and Hawaii to Asia flights on Hawaiian airlines. Hawaiian Airlines is still a OneWorld member in which AAdvantage belongs to. In this case is it better if I use Hawaiian Airlines mileage program or AAdvantage mileage program? Given I plan to redeem travel on Jetblue in the future. Yes Jetblue is a partner with both Hawaiian Air miles and AAdvantage and members of either can earn/redeem miles on travel on Jetblue airlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 06:16 PM

516 posts, read 369,970 times
There is no one size fits all approach to this.

You need to sit down with a pen and paper and see who you’ll be flying most and get out the mileage earning chart and work out who you’ll earn the most with and then look at the redemption tables. Also factor in ease of earning miles by non flying eg through credit card spending.

From the sound of things it looks like you need to repeat the exercise with Hawaiian, aa and JetBlue’s tables.

Hawaiian airlines is not and never has been a member of one world

Old 02-13-2018, 02:26 AM

Interesting, as I thought Hawaiian was part of one world. Anyways in the past one can book flights operated by Hawaiian airlines through the AA website and earn AAdvantage miles by flying Hawaiian and redeem miles to fly on Hawaiian airlines. This brings a lot of flexibility. However just in recent years American Airlines suddenly stopped allowing AAdvantage members from earning or redeeming miles on flights between mainland and Hawaii but continue to allow earning/redeeming miles for interhawaii or Hawaii-Asia flights. Pretty interesting why they did that.

Though putting the Hawaii issue aside. These days Which airline mileage programs either based in the US or foreign airline is better?

Old 02-13-2018, 07:41 AM

15,066 posts, read 18,990,908 times
I'll take delta whenever I can. The miles don't expire. I'm unaware of ANY other awards program that has that.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:56 AM

3,661 posts, read 6,482,326 times
I am an amateur travel hacker.. It really depends on where you want to go. They way to rack up the most miles in a short time is through Credit Card bonuses and spending.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:13 PM

1,353 posts, read 544,581 times
Neither.

I care about service on long haul flights. Both provide lousy service with Hawaiian Airline slightly better. And mileage used for Hawaii <=> Asia flight is not a good deal because it uses up the same mileage as if you fly from Mainland to Asia So I save the mileage for flights like between JFK to NRT while pay cash for flights departing from HNL to Asia.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:19 PM

Misread your question.

I used Korean Airline Skypass program for flights between Hawaii and Asia. If you fly Alaska too, you provide the Skypass number and the mileage can be credited on 1:1 basis. Korean Airline also lets you pool mileage from your family members.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:32 AM

Wow Korean Airlines is nice. I know that China airlines is also part of Sky team.

I would like to know which one is better to join. I know that Delta is not obviously a good airline choice. Though living in the US and rarely getting to fly Korean airlines I would be curious whether its worth joining. As in how good are there rewards or miles earning on partner airlines.

Ian Lee just to clarify I would like to ask which one is better to earn miles. I am not to the point of redeeming miles yet.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:43 PM

15,066 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I know that Delta is not obviously a good airline choice.
Huh?

Delta is the only one, afaik, to not have expiration dates on their FF miles.

Delta has the best on-time stats of all the domestic airlines. https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...ime-champ.html

In the "Top 100" Delta was #32, which was the best rating for any domestic airline. Every other domestic airline was below them. The Top 100 Airlines of 2017 | SKYTRAX

They have been rated #2 for customer service of domestic carriers. https://www.forbes.com/sites/grantma.../#41058de51f29

And, last but not least, they have the highest safety rating of any domestic carrier. Airline Safety Ranking 2017 JACDEC

In any event, for INFREQUENT flyers like you and me, the "best" airline FF program to join is every single one that you make a reservation on. You're overthinking this. Unless you're a airplane road warrior, you're going to save more money by buying the cheapest ticket instead of booking based on airline miles.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Wow Korean Airlines is nice. I know that China airlines is also part of Sky team.

I would like to know which one is better to join. I know that Delta is not obviously a good airline choice. Though living in the US and rarely getting to fly Korean airlines I would be curious whether its worth joining. As in how good are there rewards or miles earning on partner airlines.

Ian Lee just to clarify I would like to ask which one is better to earn miles. I am not to the point of redeeming miles yet.
If you plan to earn miles by flying partner airlines, it takes a long way to earn enough miles to fly to Asia.

I fly on JAL, KAL, Asiana, Eva, Hawaiian,...to Asia. So far I am only able to redeem miles from KAL and HawaiianAir for tickets.

JAL -- got expiry date like three years. You can pool miles from family members but they re-started to assess annual charges. Now its fare is very expensive as compared with other airlines. Usually ticket bought from Expedia is the lowest class (X) and can earn you only 50% miles. AA flight can earn you JAL miles too even for the cheapest class fare. I have redeemed miles for stay in Hotel Nikko and JAL Hotel. Lately I used the JAL mileage for dining in the 5-star Kahala Hotel in Honolulu (10K miles equal to 12,000 Yen)

KAL -- Long expiry date like 8 years. Also lets you pool miles from family members free. Usually cheapest ticket bought at KAL website can earn you 70% of the actual miles. But the mileage bonus ticket carries high extra charges and tax. For example, JFK-NRT round trip costs $180 extra. But if you book early, bonus ticket is always available. Alaska Air flight can earn you miles on KAL (1:1).

Hawaiianair -- Hard to earn miles. Expiry date 18 months (you can always donate 50 miles to charity at end of 18-month period) . But flights you fly on Hawaiianair always earns you 100% of actual miles. Tried to earn Hawaiian miles through JetBlue flights. Sometimes it is honored but sometimes it isn't. Easy to redeem miles for tickets. Extra charge for bonus ticket is very low, i.e. $5-15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel