U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 07:36 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,321,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Anywho..I just wanted to say that for those who are interested in Africa and haven't been before and are considering...you may or may not want to visit Kruger National Park's YouTube channel. After viewing some of their videos now I am literally scared out of my mind of considering going there now
I was in Kruger for 2 nights and three days, when I did my overland safari trek tour back in 2014. And for each night we stayed at a different camping/overnight spot, and what is interesting is that each place we stayed at had an enclosure with huge walls and electric fence on top and at night they close the gate.

It reminded me of being in a "reverse zoo", where I'm in the enclosure and the animals are free to roam on the outside!

I felt totally safe inside, sleeping at night. They remove all the trees near the walls on the outside of the enclosure so no animals can jump over the electric fence part and eat you at night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 11:50 AM

3,207 posts, read 3,199,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Now I'm curious: what in those videos scared you so badly?

I'm trying to plan a trip to southern Africa for 2019 and would like to see both Botswana and Namibia, but may not have time to do both, which is very frustrating. So much to see, so little vacation time! I wish I could take 4-6 weeks off from work for this trip, but unfortunately that's not possible.

https://youtu.be/tSR-xJv9UNg

https://youtu.be/UsgP5DouB2M

https://youtu.be/yeaztQK9If0

I don't know where the 3rd vid was taken...I think it said South Africa but not where.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:04 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,162,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
https://youtu.be/tSR-xJv9UNg

https://youtu.be/UsgP5DouB2M

https://youtu.be/yeaztQK9If0

I don't know where the 3rd vid was taken...I think it said South Africa but not where.
Those videos simply show wild animals being wild animals. I can show you similar videos from Yellowstone National Park of bison and elk ramming cars and attacking tourists on foot. The only place anywhere in the world where you can view wild animals with 100% guaranteed safety is a good zoo. There is a very small and unavoidable risk of being seriously injured or even killed by a wild animal when you go on a safari. If that risk terrifies you, then a safari anywhere in Africa (not simply in Kruger National Park) is not for you.

(You're more likely to be killed in the drive to the airport, though. Safaris are actually pretty darned safe, especially given the size and potential aggressiveness of the animals you'd be encountering.)

Old 02-23-2018, 04:38 AM

4,423 posts, read 1,676,659 times
OK, the OP said he waned opinions. Here's mine:

The people in Africa are a lot more interesting to get to know and look at than the animals. And a lot cheaper to get close to.

You can see lions and elephants and giraffes in a one-day tour. Any more than that, and you're just ticking a species list. Those three are the experience of a lifetime, but then you've done it. Now see Africa.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:20 PM

7,740 posts, read 9,033,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
OK, the OP said he waned opinions. Here's mine:

The people in Africa are a lot more interesting to get to know and look at than the animals. And a lot cheaper to get close to.

You can see lions and elephants and giraffes in a one-day tour. Any more than that, and you're just ticking a species list. Those three are the experience of a lifetime, but then you've done it. Now see Africa.
I do prefer seeing animals over people, but the tour I'm looking at does include visits to villages.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I do prefer seeing animals over people, but the tour I'm looking at does include visits to villages.
I hate to sound overely jaded, but do you think a village that is on a tour itinerary is going to reflect the human condition of Africa? People dressing up in their native costumes doing photo ops for tourists?

I keep hoping that travelers will come back with a certain modicum of understanding of what is going on in the world, to offset the simplistic generalizations that meet the political needs of the media.

It is not about whether you like and respect animals more than people, but whether you can learn more of value by observing and understanding them. I'm not putting you down -- by all means, travel for your own purposes, but since travel is a rare learning opportunity, it would be a shame to not exercise it.

I can't help thinking of the media's comment about the incurious George W. Bush on his first overseas visit. He wasn't sufficiently interested to even look out the windows of his limo from the airplort.

Let me make another comment about the animals. Don't overlook little ones, like birds. In Africa there are hundreds of kinds of birds, most of species you have nevere seen before, some of a genus you have not seen, even a few of whole new families. Lots of them are just little and brown, but in their own way they are as unique as the rhinoceros. Pay attention to them. Do not go to Arrica, by the way, without your own binoculars, essential for viewing wildlife both large and small.

Last edited by cebuan; 02-23-2018 at 07:24 PM..

Old 02-23-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I hate to sound overely jaded, but do you think a village that is on a tour itinerary is going to reflect the human condition of Africa? People dressing up in their native costumes doing photo ops for tourists?

I keep hoping that travelers will come back with a certain modicum of understanding of what is going on in the world, to offset the simplistic generalizations that meet the political needs of the media.

It is not about whether you like and respect animals more than people, but whether you can learn more of value by observing and understanding them. I'm not putting you down -- by all means, travel for your own purposes, but since travel is a rare learning opportunity, it would be a shame to not exercise it.

I can't help thinking of the media's comment about the incurious George W. Bush on his first overseas visit. He wasn't sufficiently interested to even look out the windows of his limo from the airplort.

Let me make another comment about the animals. Don't overlook little ones, like birds. In Africa there are hundreds of kinds of birds, most of species you have nevere seen before, some of a genus you have not seen, even a few of whole new families. Lots of them are just little and brown, but in their own way they are as unique as the rhinoceros. Pay attention to them. Do not go to Arrica, by the way, without your own binoculars, essential for viewing wildlife both large and small.
Yes, I agree that those villagers are putting on a show. I don't know, I guess in Kenya or Southern Africa I just have more of an interest in the wildlife, birds included. I would however, like to see some of the apartheid history in Soith Africa. And I do plan on bringing binoculars.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:13 AM

Just thought Id mention that North Dakota is one of my favorite birding states. Especially your pothole lakes, a well-kept secret of American natural history.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Just thought Id mention that North Dakota is one of my favorite birding states. Especially your pothole lakes, a well-kept secret of American natural history.
It is great for birding. I like driving around in spring and summer and seeing all the waterfowl. I like to imagine how many Lewis and Clark must have seen.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:21 PM

5,951 posts, read 2,895,036 times
I have absolutely zero interest in little birds, because I can see little birds almost everywhere. The fact that they are a distinct species that I've never seen before just doesn't generate any interest. Big animals like rhinos, hippos, crocs, etc. are interesting because I don't usually come across similar things in the wild. Being a city guy even cows can hold my interest for awhile, although I'm somewhat nervous when close to them because unsure how they'll behave.

Different insects, spiders, snakes, scorpions, etc. yeah I'm all on board, love it. Little birds? Pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel