U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 11:37 AM

7,682 posts, read 16,106,514 times

Advertisements

There is the minimum legal connection time (MCT), which is the shortest connection the airline will sell you for that ticket. This is often significantly shorter than the minimum sensible connection time (SCT) that most travelers would be comfortable with.

Example with Amsterdam- the MCT assumes you're landing at one of the original main runways and not the 'polderbaan' runway that requires an additional 15 minutes or so of taxi time after landing.

I'll book right at a MCT for a domestic ticket that has multiple possible other flights if I misconnect. I've done 37 minutes in Atlanta several times and still had time for a bathroom break. If I'm connecting to the last or only flight of the day to a destination, I want a 2 hour buffer if possible because I do not like overnight delays-rebookings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 01:05 PM

5,911 posts, read 6,718,562 times
Swedes are very efficient; I have flown that route out of NWK a zillion times. I would take that connection, especially going over, where you have tail winds to make up any delay out of Newark, which at that time of the evening is usally minimal.

Schiphol (sp) is very large and it seems like I am always in the wrong place...especially going from International to domestic /EU which is what you will be doing. My experience is that it takes time.

Second choice would be to Toronto.

Are you sure SAS doesn't have a Copenhagen direct a couple times a week?

Old 02-14-2018, 01:07 PM

852 posts, read 1,559,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you're on the same airline (or a partner) for both legs, I don't think you would have to clear customs at any of those connection sites since it's not your final destination. Your luggage is transferred from one flight to the next. You may have to pass through a security screening again.
This is always not true. It depends on the airport of the connecting city/country, where you are flying in from and where you are flying to. Always check with the airline(s) and the airport.

In YYZ the OP will likely have to wait reclaim their luggage to take it through CBSA, and drop it back on conveyer belt for "connecting flights' on the other side even on on check through luggage. 3+ hour should be enough to connect YYZ, but if there was any delay in the inbound flight, there are less same day flights onward to Copenhagen.

Connection time in Stockholm is too short, but otherwise, it's a good airport to connect through to Copenhagen.

Of the options the OP listed, I would go for Amsterdam, more Copenhagen flights should inbound be delayed. And also because I was not impress by the Brussels airport.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:09 PM

13,106 posts, read 24,892,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Swedes are very efficient; I have flown that route out of NWK a zillion times. I would take that connection, especially going over, where you have tail winds to make up any delay out of Newark, which at that time of the evening is usally minimal.

Schiphol (sp) is very large and it seems like I am always in the wrong place...especially going from International to domestic /EU which is what you will be doing. My experience is that it takes time.

Second choice would be to Toronto.

Are you sure SAS doesn't have a Copenhagen direct a couple times a week?
Yes they do but by the time I paid to pick 3 seats both ways and some of the other extras, that I get from UA for no charge the difference in price was hovering close to the 1K mark,

Old 02-14-2018, 01:19 PM

Well fingers crossed, my daughter found and we chose flight that connects in Zurich, with a connecting time of 1 hour 50 minutes. Chose that flight as she works for Nestle and is familiar with Zurich airport.

Now on the 24 hour delay waiting for SAS to confirm connecting flight.
Had booked air on Saturday, but SAS never confirmed within the 24 hours so UA cancelled reservation, if it happens again it's back to the drawing board but looking for a different connecting carrier

Old 02-14-2018, 01:35 PM

9,807 posts, read 5,016,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
This is always not true.
I think you mean "not always", but yes, I was apparently incorrect.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:34 PM

4,241 posts, read 8,085,527 times
We are flying to CPH for a Norway small ship fjords cruise in August...
Using Icelandair EWR to KEF, easy change/short layover in KEF, and on to CPN also on Icelandair.

The only nonstop we found was EWR to CPH, on SAS at $2400 a person, in steerage.
Our Icelandair fare is half that in their Saga class, sort of like Biz class in the '90s, but having flown on them before in that class, it is way above coach of any kind.

Icelandair has coach also from EWR to KEF to CPH, for <$500 in July & August...WOW also goes EWR to KEF to CPH, but at 70.5 and without a backpack, I will pass on them.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 02-14-2018 at 02:45 PM..

Old 02-14-2018, 03:21 PM

13,915 posts, read 7,411,228 times
Why wouldn't you fly Norwegian from JFK to Malmo? Copenhagen is just over the bridge. It's a midnight departure out of JFK so you can get there. The return lands at 8pm so it will be well beyond the New York rush by the time you clear customs. It's a 787 Dreamliner so it's new equipment. Personally, I'd do Premium Economy on the outbound.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Why wouldn't you fly Norwegian from JFK to Malmo? Copenhagen is just over the bridge. It's a midnight departure out of JFK so you can get there. The return lands at 8pm so it will be well beyond the New York rush by the time you clear customs. It's a 787 Dreamliner so it's new equipment. Personally, I'd do Premium Economy on the outbound.
Because most of these flights leave around 5:30-7:30 PM, I'll pass on JFK

Old 02-14-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
We are flying to CPH for a Norway small ship fjords cruise in August...
Using Icelandair EWR to KEF, easy change/short layover in KEF, and on to CPN also on Icelandair.

The only nonstop we found was EWR to CPH, on SAS at $2400 a person, in steerage.
Our Icelandair fare is half that in their Saga class, sort of like Biz class in the '90s, but having flown on them before in that class, it is way above coach of any kind.

Icelandair has coach also from EWR to KEF to CPH, for <$500 in July & August...WOW also goes EWR to KEF to CPH, but at 70.5 and without a backpack, I will pass on them.
GL, mD
If UA can not get confirmation from SAS, that's my next go to.
I wouldn't fly WOW if it was free

We are doing a Baltic cruise that leaves Saturday so want to get there on Friday, some wiggle room
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or