U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 04:31 PM

855 posts, read 1,560,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Well fingers crossed, my daughter found and we chose flight that connects in Zurich, with a connecting time of 1 hour 50 minutes. Chose that flight as she works for Nestle and is familiar with Zurich airport.

Now on the 24 hour delay waiting for SAS to confirm connecting flight.
Had booked air on Saturday, but SAS never confirmed within the 24 hours so UA cancelled reservation, if it happens again it's back to the drawing board but looking for a different connecting carrier
Zurich airport is good one to fly through IMHO, not too big, efficiently run.. and it has a Spruengli in the terminal. You won't have much spare time, but if you do, grab some Luxemburgerli!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 04:49 PM

7,745 posts, read 9,047,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
OP, each airport has a minimum connecting time posted on their website somewhere. The busier the airport, the longer minimum connecting time required for that airport. Just google "minimum connecting time at ..... airport" and you will find what you're looking for.

In any case, look around at the connecting airports' websites, and call the airlines directly to reverify (the ones that connected at the locations you mentioned above), they'll have the info somewhere in their database. I've faced the same dilemma a few times and had to change reservations a couple of times due to not enough connecting time (luckily it was still within 24 hours of purchase, so no penalty).
I've never heard of this. Good to know. I don't like any connecting time less than two hours. It takes people so long to get out of the plane and then you have to hit customs and security. Tight connections stress me out.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:25 AM

13,964 posts, read 7,434,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Because most of these flights leave around 5:30-7:30 PM, I'll pass on JFK
What part of “the JFK flight to Malmo leaves at midnight” did you fail to comprehend?

Enjoy your missed connection in Dubai or wherever.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:03 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,905,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What part of “the JFK flight to Malmo leaves at midnight” did you fail to comprehend?

Enjoy your missed connection in Dubai or wherever.
I got that, flying at midnight does not turn me on, no reason to get snarky

Old 02-15-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
We are flying to CPH for a Norway small ship fjords cruise in August...
Using Icelandair EWR to KEF, easy change/short layover in KEF, and on to CPN also on Icelandair.

The only nonstop we found was EWR to CPH, on SAS at $2400 a person, in steerage.
Our Icelandair fare is half that in their Saga class, sort of like Biz class in the '90s, but having flown on them before in that class, it is way above coach of any kind.

Icelandair has coach also from EWR to KEF to CPH, for <$500 in July & August...WOW also goes EWR to KEF to CPH, but at 70.5 and without a backpack, I will pass on them.
GL, mD
Just checked flights on Iceland air and if UA doesn't confirm my flight thats where I'm headed.
Had booked on Sat got the email reservation was cancelled as SAS didn't confirm within the 24 hours.

In same holding pattern today, checked the fare today on exact same flight and it's $811 higher, starting to think this is a game and SAS isn't confirming because they want you to take their higher priced fare in what you called steerage, unreal.

My only loss will be the miles on UA, oh well

Old 02-15-2018, 08:48 AM

2,129 posts, read 2,913,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I once had a 45 minute connection @ Helsinki on Finnair. It was intense, man... but it was plenty of time. Apparently no one flies to Helsinki.
It really depends on the airport. I had a 45-minute connecting time in Munich on Lufthansa once and I was at my departing gate in 15 minutes. Munich airport boasts their 30-minute minimum connecting time on their website and I can see why they're proud of it. The airport is small and very efficient.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:20 AM

9,527 posts, read 13,464,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
It really depends on the airport. I had a 45-minute connecting time in Munich on Lufthansa once and I was at my departing gate in 15 minutes. Munich airport boasts their 30-minute minimum connecting time on their website and I can see why they're proud of it. The airport is small and very efficient.
Yes, same with Helsinki but I would think Helsinki gets less people than Munich. They have a small airport as well. Could you imagine having a 45 minute connecting @ like NY JFK or something? OMG

Old 02-15-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yes, same with Helsinki but I would think Helsinki gets less people than Munich. They have a small airport as well. Could you imagine having a 45 minute connecting @ like NY JFK or something? OMG
Impossible, unless maybe if it was like 2AM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or