U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 07:48 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,750,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
I am planning a trip to San Francisco to visit family in a couple of months and realized I haven't flown in 10 years!!! I know things have drastically changed. I usually set up my medicine and vitamins in one of those daily dose storage boxes. I remember hearing you have to carry the bottle with prescription on it. True? does it have to fit in the same quart size baggie with toiletries? does makeup have to fit in there too. Oh this may stress me out....

Can someone who flies regularly give me some assistance?

TIA!!
Though I put my stuff in original bottles when traveling from US to another country, China, Australia, Ireland, England, Jamaica, I generally carry in a tiny pill bag domestically.

It has never come up in any situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 07:50 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,750,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
My own personal experience is that, arriving in 30 countries in the past five years, nobody has paid a bit of attention. When I came to the Philippines, I transferred a year's supply of my medications and vitamins and OTCs into more convenient size containers, about ten miscellaneous bottles, and a handwritten note to remind me what each pill looked like. Nobody said a word.

However, if you're concerned (as well you should be), ask your doctor for a printout of all your meds, including any recommended OTCs. As long as you're carrying a legal Rx, they don't have to be in the original bottles.

Even within the USA, for what it's worth, Texas police have told me the daily planner containers technically aren't even legal for a trip in your car to WalMart.
The great thing about the CVS app. All your meds with pill pictures are on it.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:12 PM

1,293 posts, read 949,089 times
No, you won't have any problem with either dosage boxes or bottles. You carry-on can be searched, but no problem will occur. My DH is to lazy to use these daily boxes, so he takes his meds (3 bottles) plus 5 bottles of supplements with him. We are frequent fliers, and never had any problems. With liquids, yes, you can get in trouble, so if you will ever need a liquid medicine ask for a bottle under 100 ml.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:21 PM

3,281 posts, read 3,129,768 times
Exclamation Even when legal, TSA likes to overtly or covertly steal drugs, cash, other valuables

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Transporting or possession of Rx drugs is a USA federal law, whether you're on a common carrier or not. It has nothing to do with TSA, which is concerned only with potential weapons or explosives.
Yes, the TSA is supposed to only be concerned only with potential weapons or explosives, but sometimes they're avaricious, bored, (or bribed) and look for other items, including prescription drugs. Go to the Flyertalk forum and you'll find numerous reports of people's meds being stolen from both checked and carryon baggage.

The DEA and other groups pay TSA agents to tip them off when they encounter cash or drugs.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:06 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,934,660 times
The restrictions discussed above, concerns about TSA, liquids, etc. are only applicable to carry-on. Rx need to be accompanied by either the doctor's written Rx or a copy of the label from the pharmacy. I use weekly minders for my Rx but I carry a copy of my Rx with my carry-on and also packed in my checked luggage. If you are not checking luggage, you can buy 3 oz containers at Wallyworld for your liquids or buy sample sized shampoos, etc - just be mindful of the total oz.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:35 PM

9,807 posts, read 5,016,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
The restrictions discussed above, concerns about TSA, liquids, etc. are only applicable to carry-on. Rx need to be accompanied by either the doctor's written Rx or a copy of the label from the pharmacy. I use weekly minders for my Rx but I carry a copy of my Rx with my carry-on and also packed in my checked luggage. If you are not checking luggage, you can buy 3 oz containers at Wallyworld for your liquids or buy sample sized shampoos, etc - just be mindful of the total oz.
That's not necessary. Liquid prescriptions can exceed 3.4 oz.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:42 PM

48 posts, read 19,142 times
Legally, you should have all RX drugs in the bottle.
Realistically, police will usually never care unless they suspect you as a drug dealer. So many people, especially older people, use the reminders.

I take scheduled drugs so I always carry mine in their bottle except when at home. I just set a reminder on my phone or write down when to take what.

I dated a police officer for a while and he knew I sometimes carried my controlled meds "illegally". He said the worst was some cop might cite me, but once I showed a judge my script they would throw it out and tell me not to do that and make sure I was aware of the law.

He also said he personally never cared unless it is apparent this is a drug dealer. Me, any other harmless person, he said he could not care less what was in their pill reminder.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:10 AM

13,915 posts, read 7,411,228 times
If I had an OxyContin Rx, I’d bring the original pharmacy container. For anything else, nope. Nobody cares and easily half the passengers on any flight have an Rx for something.

You can ID any pill with a smartphone application in 10 seconds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or