U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2018, 02:29 AM
 
Location: Tucson Arizona
3,951 posts, read 1,680,181 times
Reputation: 10351

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
12 hours from the SF Bay Area to Washington State...

Flying door to door takes 5 hours... driving 12 hours.

Driving I can go on my schedule and take what I want with me... flying no chance and have been told I need to ship repair parts and tools always cause questions at the airport.

Plus... I need a vehicle when I am there.
I assume you mean Southern Washington? I drove Seattle to the Bay Area once, it took 17 hours. Nice weather, little traffic, minimal stops, lead foot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2018, 06:18 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
10,375 posts, read 4,922,620 times
Reputation: 21820
Four hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2018, 07:00 AM
 
7,580 posts, read 2,252,810 times
Reputation: 9140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Anymore than 4 hours and i fly
By the time you factor in getting to airport, getting through security, flight time, deplane, rent a car ...


It's quicker to drive 6-7 than get a flight.

We talked with friends about this and decided 8 hr drive is the cutoff. From a time perspective it is truly a wash. And then you don't have to shell out airfare or rental car fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2018, 07:57 AM
 
9,897 posts, read 5,079,828 times
Reputation: 34175
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
By the time you factor in getting to airport, getting through security, flight time, deplane, rent a car ...


It's quicker to drive 6-7 than get a flight.

We talked with friends about this and decided 8 hr drive is the cutoff. From a time perspective it is truly a wash. And then you don't have to shell out airfare or rental car fees.
It depends on the person. I live 15 minutes from the airport and have Precheck. And a lot of times, I don't need a rental car at my destination. So there are times when flying can be just as quick and easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2018, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,521 posts, read 20,946,471 times
Reputation: 13858
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Anymore than 4 hours and i fly
/\ This
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2018, 09:40 AM
 
3,762 posts, read 2,221,611 times
Reputation: 4203
I've done 9 for a week long trip.

I did 10+ for a long weekend but we started sightseeing at the 8 hour mark. We before 6am so we and weren't even sure where we were staying, so we ambled along until we found something. When we came home, we ambled northwards, still stopping a lot and left the state around 8pm, which was about 6 hours away.

I love to drive and the sights along the way are part of the trip for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2018, 10:46 AM
 
938 posts, read 241,445 times
Reputation: 2123
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It depends on the person. I live 15 minutes from the airport and have Precheck. And a lot of times, I don't need a rental car at my destination. So there are times when flying can be just as quick and easy.
I don't have Precheck, so I'm not privy to how effective it is, but I have watched the lines the last few times I've flown. About 20 minutes to get through Precheck in Orlando mid-morning. About 25 minutes to get through Pittsburgh mid-afternoon. And, the last time flying out of Pittsburgh, on the first flight of the day, Precheck wasn't even open until we had been in line for 30 minutes, due to staffing issues.

So, with flights boarding 30 minutes before departure, it would seem that one would want to be there at least an hour before departure to be safe, even with Precheck. Maybe you're flying out of smaller airports where this isn't an issue, but at the larger airports I tend to fly through, Precheck doesn't look to save a significant amount of time.

But, I think most casual travelers are like me and newtovenice: about 1 hr. to the airport, get there 1.5 hrs before flight, anything 8 hr. drive or less is about a 1 hr. flight, 1 hr. spent unboarding, collecting luggage, and at the rental car car counter. So, for most people the bare minimum would be 4-5 hours. What's 3 more hours of driving to save some money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2018, 11:23 AM
 
9,897 posts, read 5,079,828 times
Reputation: 34175
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
I don't have Precheck, so I'm not privy to how effective it is, but I have watched the lines the last few times I've flown. About 20 minutes to get through Precheck in Orlando mid-morning. About 25 minutes to get through Pittsburgh mid-afternoon. And, the last time flying out of Pittsburgh, on the first flight of the day, Precheck wasn't even open until we had been in line for 30 minutes, due to staffing issues.

So, with flights boarding 30 minutes before departure, it would seem that one would want to be there at least an hour before departure to be safe, even with Precheck. Maybe you're flying out of smaller airports where this isn't an issue, but at the larger airports I tend to fly through, Precheck doesn't look to save a significant amount of time.
I fly through all size airports, and I've never encountered a 20 minute Precheck line. Some of the lines are longer (like Dulles, Regan National, Newark, etc. that have more business travelers), but they still move fast. I've never spent more than 5 minutes in a Precheck line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2018, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
7,351 posts, read 4,197,905 times
Reputation: 18478
6 hours maximum (and I prefer to keep it under 4). Any longer than that is just too tiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2018, 12:58 PM
 
26,595 posts, read 52,454,121 times
Reputation: 20462
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I assume you mean Southern Washington? I drove Seattle to the Bay Area once, it took 17 hours. Nice weather, little traffic, minimal stops, lead foot.
Oakland to Olympia midnight runs in summer... stopping only in Roseburg to fuel.

No lead foot but cruise at +4 mph over the speed limit.

Have done the run many times... the Bottle Neck if there is one is Portland... either morning or evening commute.

Of course in winter all bets are off if there is bad weather or ice.

Drove home the last time and NEVER turned off the wipers from Olympia to the California border... the moment I crossed into CA the clouds parted and blue sky...

My car was so clean... as if it had just gone through a 6 hour carwash...

I remember going to San Francisco to pickup some guests from Oakland... the traffic was horendous... it was Fleet Week... I told my guests I have driven to Tahoe in the same time it took to get from Oakland to SF and back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top