U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2018, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,453 posts, read 1,693,092 times
Reputation: 8133

Advertisements

Do you go back afterwards, and fill out the ratings questionnaires on the accommodations you use when traveling?

I rarely do. In a great majority of cases, the place doesn't deserve a criticism, but doesn't really deserve being praised either.

If I do comment, it is usually to offset or neutralize a strongly negative comment that I thought was undeserved. Often, when I read a negative comment, my first reaction is to say "I hope I never meet theses people on the road when traveling". I regularly stay in the cheapest place I can find, and nobody should be checking in there expecting 5-star accommodations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2018, 07:47 AM
 
9,833 posts, read 5,037,189 times
Reputation: 33980
If my accomodations and experience are fairly standard, I don't take the time to rate a hotel. But if there's something (good or bad) that made my stay somewhat remarkable, I'll review it.

The last hotel I reviewed was one in New York. It was a tiny room (11'x11' might be a generous estimate) with a tiny window that faced a brick wall about 4' away (so no natural light). Now, I'm used to tiny NYC rooms with no natural light, but they made the [sarcasm] brilliant [/sarcasm] decision to paint the room black. I'm typically not claustrophobic, but it definitely felt like being enclosed in a tomb with the walls closing in. The lighting in the bathroom was atrocious, and the shower curtain was hung at an angle, so it was impossible to shower without a mildewy curtain clinging to your body. Both guest elevators were out of order, so all the hotel guests had to share the 4-person staff elevator.

The management responded to my review, thanked me for my honest comments, and offered me a free upgrade if I were to give the hotel another chance. I'm taking them up on that offer next month. We'll see how it goes!

It's rare that I will reply to someone else's comment unless something they've said is factually incorrect, or if I can offer a suggestion that would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2018, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,107 posts, read 24,907,607 times
Reputation: 11146
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If my accomodations and experience are fairly standard, I don't take the time to rate a hotel. But if there's something (good or bad) that made my stay somewhat remarkable, I'll review it.

The last hotel I reviewed was one in New York. It was a tiny room (11'x11' might be a generous estimate) with a tiny window that faced a brick wall about 4' away (so no natural light). Now, I'm used to tiny NYC rooms with no natural light, but they made the [sarcasm] brilliant [/sarcasm] decision to paint the room black. I'm typically not claustrophobic, but it definitely felt like being enclosed in a tomb with the walls closing in. The lighting in the bathroom was atrocious, and the shower curtain was hung at an angle, so it was impossible to shower without a mildewy curtain clinging to your body. Both guest elevators were out of order, so all the hotel guests had to share the 4-person staff elevator.

The management responded to my review, thanked me for my honest comments, and offered me a free upgrade if I were to give the hotel another chance. I'm taking them up on that offer next month. We'll see how it goes!

It's rare that I will reply to someone else's comment unless something they've said is factually incorrect, or if I can offer a suggestion that would help.
^^^^^^this^^^^^^ My last bad review was for a Red Roof in Atlanta, was travelling with a pet so do not expect pet friendly hotels to be 3 star. I've stayed at Red Roof In Virginia and they were adequate, this one in Atlanta was a crack motel, residents as they were not travelers, hanging in the stairwells, barbecue grills in front of room, the room was filthy disgusting, I checked right out and got on my phone and found a Best Western not to far away.

Not only did I review it, I emailed corporate telling them the details, they could of cared less.
So now when I travel with pet, I estimate how many hours I feel like driving and pre book, with pet friendly Best Westerns, La Quinta etc in area I will stop at
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2018, 09:16 PM
 
2,971 posts, read 2,755,385 times
Reputation: 6574
I do so consistently write reviews on accommodations in foreign countries from my vacations. I do so because I found the thorough considerate reviews by others helpful in determining whether I would stay at a particular hotel, and confirmation of specific advantages (location in respect to public transit, in house food selection etc.... I figure providing an updated one will pass along any changes or seasonality issues to other travelers. Most every place I have stayed overseas was as expected from reading a variety of reviews.


Most USA travel I do not submit a review, as I usually stay someplace I am accustomed to the standard level of service and it generally is what I expected. The few times I have reviewed USA hotels was to let an establishment know about an issue (HVAC, deferred maintenance in facility etc...) or praise some outstanding service of their personnel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2018, 10:05 PM
 
2,551 posts, read 1,646,355 times
Reputation: 2034
Only for the one I really like and the one I hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 10:29 AM
 
2,661 posts, read 1,555,959 times
Reputation: 3207
Always. Especially for rentals like Airbnb since their bookings depend on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 01:36 PM
 
359 posts, read 713,545 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Not only did I review it, I emailed corporate telling them the details, they could of cared less.

Well, at least they cared, and hopefully will do something about it. I hate businesses who do not care at all that their customers are unsatisfied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,602 posts, read 11,093,754 times
Reputation: 10316
I will if it's exceptional. Good or bad. Average is average, but something has to be noteworthy for me to make notes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2018, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Pure Michigan!
4,348 posts, read 7,434,076 times
Reputation: 6785
When I have used a discount travel broker like Priceline or Hotwire in the past and the hotel that I got does not remotely live up to the star level that they have given it on their website I do post a review to warn others not to trust those ratings.

We once booked a three star hotel in downtown Louisville that was absolutely disgusting, to the point where we passed, lost our nonrefundable room charge, and drove on home. You can bet that I posted a review of that place the following day along with detailed pictures of the broken, 1960s era furniture, moldy tiles in the shower, and rusty plumbing fixtures, along with a comment that one had better bring a gas mask for the clouds of cigaratte smoke hanging in the "nonsmoking" hallways. I didn't want someone else to get stiffed too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2018, 10:28 PM
 
6,561 posts, read 13,769,311 times
Reputation: 3030
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
When I have used a discount travel broker like Priceline or Hotwire in the past and the hotel that I got does not remotely live up to the star level that they have given it on their website I do post a review to warn others not to trust those ratings.

We once booked a three star hotel in downtown Louisville that was absolutely disgusting, to the point where we passed, lost our nonrefundable room charge, and drove on home. You can bet that I posted a review of that place the following day along with detailed pictures of the broken, 1960s era furniture, moldy tiles in the shower, and rusty plumbing fixtures, along with a comment that one had better bring a gas mask for the clouds of cigaratte smoke hanging in the "nonsmoking" hallways. I didn't want someone else to get stiffed too.
There is no hotel in downtown Louisville anything close to what you posted. Unless your visit was 5 years ago, but even so, it's an exaggeration. Louisville has an absolute hotel boom and very literally every downtown hotel has been renovated in the last 3-5 years if its not new.

Louisville has 28 hotels under construction or in development right now. So again, musty cigarrette hotels in downtown Louisville? Sorry, it's not true. The worst hotel, the Econo Lodge, isn't even that awful.

I get what you are saying though. You have to be careful on priceline but I usually put 4 stars and never had any issues.

Last edited by Peter1948; 02-21-2018 at 10:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top