U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 01:43 PM

11 posts, read 10,132 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from NYC to Denver. I'll be packing up as much stuff as I can into a car and driving over a period of 4 days. I'll be travelling along 80 and initially staying with some friends near Cleveland, but after that need to figure out where to stay. I'm paranoid about having my car broken into though considering how much stuff will be in there. What are some of the safer cities along the route? Are Iowa City and Lincoln, NE generally safe? Or am I better off trying to stick to very small towns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 03:09 PM

2,499 posts, read 6,410,606 times
I hope you have an alarm system.
Get front room near office with good lighting.most motels are dicey today,we traveled !-70 when we lived in Denver when we visited in CT.
I used I-80 to Washington state one winter and Wyoming was windy and icy.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:28 PM

2,892 posts, read 1,278,028 times
Cities that are safe with at least some amenities:

Not a whole hell of a lot in my state of PA on I-80 but little cities like Bloomsburg, Clarion, Lewisburg, DuBois, Brookfield, etc. I've been to a few of them and none of them are rough but none of them have a massive amount of amenities.
Akron, OH
Sandusky, OH
Youngstown, OH
Elkhart, IN
South Bend, IN is OK
Davenport, IA
Iowa City, IA
Des Moines, IA is OK
Omaha is so-so; have heard mixed reports but I stayed there around the airport area for a couple of nights with no issues.
Lincoln, NE

And sorry...that's as far west as I've been.

Hopefully others from out West will chime in on this

Old 02-18-2018, 07:38 PM

2,608 posts, read 5,316,318 times
These days interstate travelers stay at the present-day equivalent of the crossroads: an exit with a gaggle of motel chains, fast food, and smart casual restaurants. Nobody actually goes into a city anymore.

I did a similar trip myself with a fully loaded vehicle. Let me assure you: nobody wants your record albums, pots and pans, and clean and dirty clothing. I stayed at better but not best chains and parked under the lights where possible. And carried my valuables into the room.

Yes, you could be unlucky. But I think your chances are worse at a no-name motel in the middle of nowhere.

And try to stay west of a big city, unless you really enjoy rush hour.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:41 PM

4,434 posts, read 1,662,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
These days interstate travelers stay at the present-day equivalent of the crossroads: an exit with a gaggle of motel chains, fast food, and smart casual restaurants. Nobody actually goes into a city anymore.

I did a similar trip myself with a fully loaded vehicle. Let me assure you: nobody wants your record albums, pots and pans, and clean and dirty clothing. I stayed at better but not best chains and parked under the lights where possible. And carried my valuables into the room.

Yes, you could be unlucky. But I think your chances are worse at a no-name motel in the middle of nowhere.

And try to stay west of a big city, unless you really enjoy rush hour.
This pretty much sums it up.

All the best to OP and wishing them a safe trip.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,713 posts, read 40,113,239 times
Many 'name brand' hotels / slightly upscale will have guards / video for entire property.

I prefer staying in small towns off the interstate ~ 5+ miles (with a police presence) (York or Sutherlin, NE can be pretty good (and ez access). Don't forget to stop at Ollies for a burger or breakfast! https://www.olesbiggame.com/

Scenic Byways and Roadside America (and Roadfood) have some interesting stops.

Really will depend on your schedule and weather.

As mentioned... get BEYOND a city during the dark so you don't have to deal with traffic in AM.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 AM

Thanks for the tips all! rational1 what you said makes sense. I guess I'm used to expecting things to be in cities, but after looking for motels outside of cities I saw more results than I expected. And thanks GoCardinals for the well wishes.

Edit: StealthRabbit, I checked out ScenicByways. Laughed when it got to Nebraska https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/byways/states/NE Poor Nebraska... I am going by Paxton though so I'll be sure to stop by Ollies!

Old 02-19-2018, 07:39 AM

Would this place "Crest Country Inn" Contact Us - Hotel near Iowa City | Crest Country Inn count as a "no name motel" that might have security concerns? It's been a while since I've stayed in motels. Is Days Inn considered on the "better" range?

Old 02-19-2018, 07:57 AM

2,499 posts, read 6,410,606 times
Days Inn are no more,we used to use them and go out of our way t stop at them but no more.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:24 AM

6,586 posts, read 10,318,829 times
Be grateful that the Royal Colonial Inn in North Platte is no more. Calling it a roach motel would've been complimentary. York, NE, isn't a bad little town, but Grand Island is bigger. I personally would stop no further west than Grand Island for your final overnight stay. That way you can experience the changing countryside between the eastern and western US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimyr View Post
Edit: StealthRabbit, I checked out ScenicByways. Laughed when it got to Nebraska https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/byways/states/NE Poor Nebraska... I am going by Paxton though so I'll be sure to stop by Ollies!
There are some pretty drives in Western and Central Nebraska, but they're well off the freeway and out-of-the-way for this trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or