U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 03:03 PM

5,117 posts, read 1,818,745 times

Advertisements

those choices mean you are likely on Delta.. Ive laid over in all 3 but given the option Id choose Salt Lake unless its Winter or early spring as snow delays can be common there(and hearing that we have to deice the plane before take off can rattle me), summer kinda hoses the other two bc of thunderstorm delays, but of the 3 SLC is certainly the easiest of the airports to not get lost. ironically I actually like ATL because of how huge and amazing it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 05:24 PM

345 posts, read 154,527 times
I'd avoid Atlanta. Anytime I've flown through there my departure gate has been so far from my arrival gate! I think SLC was an easy airport to transfer through.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:58 PM

56,001 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
IMO, it doesn't "count" if you don't leave the airport. YMMV.
Haha, yes, I used to say I had been to Ohio because a flight from Miami to Newark involved a stop in Cincinnati. The layover was supposed to be an hour and a half, but because we left Florida late, we had fifteen minutes to run from one gate to the other.

Years late I was informed that I was really in Kentucky. I don't count either one anymore.

I was in Iceland for an hour a couple of years ago, too.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:29 PM

21,155 posts, read 11,754,604 times
I'd pick whichever one minimizes your total travel time as long as it's at least the recommended amount of time to change planes. I know there are websites that can you give you a realistic estimate for that for each airport.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:32 PM

80 posts, read 73,396 times
With a short layover, I try for a compact airport. One hour is short. And Atlanta is not compact - it sprawls. You don't want to end up running the equivalent of a mile or two to catch a connecting flight.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:39 PM

88,057 posts, read 3,668,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingtonaples View Post
With a short layover, I try for a compact airport. One hour is short. And Atlanta is not compact - it sprawls. You don't want to end up running the equivalent of a mile or two to catch a connecting flight.
Agree! It's much too stressful to make a connection in a huge airport like Atlanta in a short window of time like that.

I would go with Salt Lake City.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:41 PM

2,544 posts, read 1,633,029 times
I would choose SLC for completeness and easy to transit.

Detroit airport terminal is very pretty but very large.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:17 PM

8,046 posts, read 5,884,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
For a one hour Layover any of them will work.
Personally I would pick SLC, as it breaks the trip sort of in half, and get you more in the right direction.
SLC is prettier with stuff to look at out the windows. But if two young men in white shirts, dark pants, and narrow ties approach, well, you 'll get an hour of interesting discussion.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:21 PM

1,800 posts, read 803,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha, yes, I used to say I had been to Ohio because a flight from Miami to Newark involved a stop in Cincinnati. The layover was supposed to be an hour and a half, but because we left Florida late, we had fifteen minutes to run from one gate to the other.

Years late I was informed that I was really in Kentucky. I don't count either one anymore.

I was in Iceland for an hour a couple of years ago, too.
I visited Cincinnati many years ago to see my then girlfriend.

You really haven't missed much. There's practically nothing to see in Kentucky and Cincinnati. I can't speak for other cities in Ohio, but I guess it's just another boring state.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:36 PM

9,123 posts, read 17,121,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
SLC is prettier with stuff to look at out the windows. But if two young men in white shirts, dark pants, and narrow ties approach, well, you 'll get an hour of interesting discussion.
Off Topic:

I flew back to Atlanta from Santiago, a Mormon missionaries was next to me, He said there were more people on the plane then lived in his entire Village.

We got to Atlanta went thru Immigration, I bought him Breakfast (they gave him $5usd) for "Food" ($5 would get you a bottle of water) . Let him use my cell to call the local Atlanta Contact person (went to voice mail).

Walked him to his gate for his connecting flight to SLC. His Connection was 6 hours later, Talked Delta into putting him on a earlier flight that left in 10mins. Call the 800 number for Mormon Central Control (I guess) to let them he would be on a early flight.

Was driving home from the airport about 90 minutes after we landed when the local contact called me back. Looking for him. I told her he was probably over Missouri by now.

Three months later he called me when he was paired up in American Missionary and was in Tennessee, he wanted to thank me for the help I gave him at the Airport.

Last edited by flyonpa; 02-19-2018 at 09:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or