U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 07:02 AM

11,043 posts, read 3,984,632 times

Advertisements

Depends on the person, age and how involved in social media they are. My DH and I are in our mid 40’s and take about 2-3 big trips a year and several weekenders. We have done this for the last 20 years and neither one of us are on any social media. We go places because we like to travel and see the world. I can literally careless what others do in regards to travel as everone has their own opinions of destinations and I’m not trying to keep up with the Joneses either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 07:18 AM

17,253 posts, read 10,183,539 times
Social media has never influenced me on my desire to travel somewhere.

What has influenced me are movies. If I see a movie or show with a great background, it makes me want to visit.

YouTube videos also. If I see foodie videos, it piques my interest.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:23 AM

5,271 posts, read 3,313,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Not really as I was already relatively well traveled before social media became popular.
Same, I got my first passport back in the 90's when I was in college and took a tropical biology class where we went to Belize/Guatemala for 2 and a half weeks, back when the internet was just starting out for the masses. While I do have an Instagram account (linked in my contact info), I just started that a few years ago and I mostly post a throwback Thursday photo and I don't have Facebook or Twitter or Snapchat.

So for me, it doesn't effect my personal travel, I have always wanted to travel before the internet and will continue to travel with the rise of social media. But I can definitely see where social media can cause people, especially ones who had never traveled before, to possibly want to go to places they see on social media.

That's why so many of those young social media entrepreneurs, with huge followings, get "free" 1st class/business class flights all over the world to those 5-star resorts, so they can document their lives and get other people to want to go there as well. Of course the other people are going to have to pay their full share!

Old 02-22-2018, 09:07 AM

8,191 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Social media tells me that Paris is literally a war zone, the French version Detroit.
An excellent reason to stay away from, or otherwise just totally ignore, social media. That way, you won't be influenced by idiotic views and/or statements such as the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinew View Post
I think it does. I didn't want to travel to Thailand until recently seeing a friend's pics from a trip on instagram. Makes you feel like you're missing out, like your life is somehow less than theirs.
Coincidentally, I am in Thailand right now. Last week I was in Singapore and next week I will be in Vietnam. And to answer the OP's question, social media did not have an impact on this trip or my desire to travel in general. In fact, I don't even have a Facebook account and rarely look at or consider other social media platforms.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:02 PM

8,246 posts, read 11,107,651 times
Not unless you're weak-minded.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:14 PM

989 posts, read 593,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Not unless you're weak-minded.
This is pretty much spot on. Jealousy really plays a big role here. When you have 700 Facebook friends and 8 of them post spring break pictures, and you're like, EVERYBODY IS GOING ON SPRING BREAK!

Um, 8/700 is a pretty low percentage....yet it elevates your perception that everybody but you is going someplace.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:36 PM

3,355 posts, read 2,828,593 times
Media is media. What's the difference if you're inspired to go somewhere because you read about it in National Geographic, saw it on an episode of Globetrekker or Rick Steves, or came across it in a YouTube video or your Facebook feed?

Old 02-23-2018, 09:09 AM

3,203 posts, read 3,196,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Social media has never influenced me on my desire to travel somewhere.

What has influenced me are movies. If I see a movie or show with a great background, it makes me want to visit.

YouTube videos also. If I see foodie videos, it piques my interest.
YouTube videos are very influential if that's the word I'm looking for.

I became more interested in cooking lighter/healthier meals upon seeing certain recipes being done on YouTube.

Definitely added a couple of places I would like to visit after seeing videos of certain places. At the same time, it has also helped me in deciding not to go somewhere as well.

ETA: Travel + food videos are the best.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I've seen too much Greece and France on social media to the point that I don't have any desire to visit these places.
Ha...

...I'm a member of a certain travel group and there were so many photos of group trips to the same places that I was starting not to want to go there. Almost as if I'd already seen the place already or something...hard to describe why I felt that way.

I don't feel I've been overexposed to Greece yet for some reason so I do still plan to visit there one day.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Same, I got my first passport back in the 90's when I was in college and took a tropical biology class where we went to Belize/Guatemala for 2 and a half weeks, back when the internet was just starting out for the masses. While I do have an Instagram account (linked in my contact info), I just started that a few years ago and I mostly post a throwback Thursday photo and I don't have Facebook or Twitter or Snapchat.

So for me, it doesn't effect my personal travel, I have always wanted to travel before the internet and will continue to travel with the rise of social media. But I can definitely see where social media can cause people, especially ones who had never traveled before, to possibly want to go to places they see on social media.

That's why so many of those young social media entrepreneurs, with huge followings, get "free" 1st class/business class flights all over the world to those 5-star resorts, so they can document their lives and get other people to want to go there as well. Of course the other people are going to have to pay their full share!

In regards to the bolded...great point.

Sometimes I still get surprised at the sheer volume of people/vloggers/what have you that seem to be jet-setting all over the world for free or next to free. I do admire their ability to do this and assume many of them have worked hard to garner enough attention for certain companies to be willing to pay their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or