U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:25 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,195,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
This is pretty much spot on. Jealousy really plays a big role here. When you have 700 Facebook friends and 8 of them post spring break pictures, and you're like, EVERYBODY IS GOING ON SPRING BREAK!

Um, 8/700 is a pretty low percentage....yet it elevates your perception that everybody but you is going someplace.
So is it jealousy? Or more of a skewed perception as you mentioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 11:11 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,582,286 times
I'm in my mid 60's & have been online since about 1991 I think & am very comfortable using the interwebs. Short answer: No, I don't belong to Facebook because I don't want to get all those political msgs, pictures of lunch plates & photos of people I barely know.

I have been researching travel sites since the beginning though & a long time ago learned to hone in on expat forums & sites dedicated to a particular angle/region of travel. Previous to the net I devoured magazine articles & books about specific destinations & typically took a practical guide with me like "Europe on $5 a Day" (I'm that old!) or Lonely Planet. Now I prepare & organize my notes from net forums & have my "personal" guide on my smartphone.

So I'll confess here I have recently opened a "secret" FB account because a number of practical expat groups of places I am interested in visiting soon are on there exclusively & I will use that only for info or perhaps to meet up in-country to socialize.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:04 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,909,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Social media has never influenced me on my desire to travel somewhere.

What has influenced me are movies. If I see a movie or show with a great background, it makes me want to visit.

YouTube videos also. If I see foodie videos, it piques my interest.
Yep, that's our MO. I remember when the first Tomb Raider movie came out, there were several scenes filmed in Hong Kong that looked interesting, so we decided to visit the place. Plus Continental Airlines had a $500 roundtrip ticket sale - direct flight - from east coast to HK at the time so how could we pass that up?!

I'm researching 'Ghost Ranch' now after watching a movie filmed in this location a few weeks ago. Strangely enough, I can't recall the name of the movie at the moment but the vista stuck in my brain because it was so breathtakingly beautiful!

Neither my husband nor I have FB account. I tried it for a few weeks long ago and thought, who has time for this? So I closed it.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
That's why so many of those young social media entrepreneurs, with huge followings, get "free" 1st class/business class flights all over the world to those 5-star resorts, so they can document their lives and get other people to want to go there as well. Of course the other people are going to have to pay their full share!
Yep. My husband loves watching youtube videos of travel until he realized the videos were not as 'honest' as they made it out to be.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:23 PM

988 posts, read 593,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
So is it jealousy? Or more of a skewed perception as you mentioned?
The skewed perception makes people jealous.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:25 PM

988 posts, read 593,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Yep. My husband loves watching youtube videos of travel until he realized the videos were not as 'honest' as they made it out to be.
We are going to Lisbon this summer and I've watched several videos. I'm almost to the point where I feel like there is so much out there people could virtually "go" without having to really go. I had to stop because I felt there would be no surprises left if I kept watching all of these videos. There are SO many.

Will probably get there and be like, yep, have seen that, and yep, saw that too (in videos).

Old 02-23-2018, 04:52 PM

5,263 posts, read 3,311,295 times
Quote:
Technically, content creators on YouTube have to state whether or not a video is "sponsored", some do it, some do not.

I realize people from infants to 90+ year olds watch YouTube, but I chuckle when I watch some of the travel YouTubers go to these extravagant places that cost an arm and a leg and think to myself the average and largest viewer/follower demographic of these certain creators are probably never going to be able afford such places.

But then I realize, the cost for these places to bring in these social media "stars" to stay at their resort for a few days to a week is probably just a drop in the bucket for their marketing budget and they probably realize even if they get just a handful of new customers, it was worth using these social media people with huge followings.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
We are going to Lisbon this summer and I've watched several videos. I'm almost to the point where I feel like there is so much out there people could virtually "go" without having to really go. I had to stop because I felt there would be no surprises left if I kept watching all of these videos. There are SO many.

Will probably get there and be like, yep, have seen that, and yep, saw that too (in videos).
Nah, you'll be fine. Seeing it in videos is not the same as seeing it yourself.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:37 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,195,476 times
Quote:
Nah, you'll be fine. Seeing it in videos is not the same as seeing it yourself.

Totally agree.

Lisbon is definitely worth the visit.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:02 AM

1,800 posts, read 804,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Totally agree.

Lisbon is definitely worth the visit.
Yes, because of all the wonderful food you can't taste through YouTube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or