U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 03:17 PM

3,203 posts, read 3,197,999 times

Advertisements

https://youtu.be/RXn10lwxO2k

I was telling my friend about the above commercial after she had spent the last week telling me she felt like everyone else she knew was "living their best life" while she wasn't. When I dug a bit into what she meant by that, she spoke about how every time she turned around someone she knew on Facebook or Instagram was (for example, doing something like) chillin in Bali, tasting tapas in Spain or snorkeling in Hawaii.

Now, both of us have had 2 or 3 vacations each over the past year or so. However we do both work very hard (like many do) and sometimes it feels like for those whose vice is travel, there can't possibly be enough time off to travel as much as you would like. Not nearrrrrrly enough time (or money) to make an ideal number of trips we'd like to do minimally per year. (I think she and I both thought that a trip each quarter would sure be ideal...)

Anywho, sometimes I wonder how much of a role social media plays in some peoples' desire to travel. Case in point: I have a family member who joined a certain travel group on Facebook. Prior to doing so she never mentioned anything about travel. After doing so she commented that she was seeing so many people go so many places and that she really needed to get out and do some travel herself. I asked her where she wanted to go several times and she couldn't really think of anywhere. Now...is there anything wrong with that? Not necessarily I would say, as I do believe travel is a great thing and if by some means you get inspired to do it then...well...good.

I personally will say that I didn't have a passport until my job sent me to do work in Paris a few years ago. I seriously got bitten by the travel bug then and never realized I enjoyed it so much until that first trip abroad. But sometimes out of curiosity I ask myself...."Are you doing this because you realllly want to**...? Or does some bit of a cool factor come into play to be able to show where you've been, what you've seen and experienced, etc.?" Now, the answer for me is always no, however, subconsciously I do wonder sometimes if social media plays a role in my hunger to want to do it more often I would say. For instace, I'm not on Facebook right now and at the moment I'm a bit glad about it as I know it'll be a while before my next vacation and I actually don't really feel like seeing a bunch of other people's vacation shots at the moment (sorry to sound like a hater!) lol (Maybe I need to get etrade LOL )

Anyways....your thoughts?

**ETA: Personally I believe one of my primary motivations for travel is to escape for the normalcy of my every day life and forget about work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 05:51 PM

2,549 posts, read 1,638,245 times
Well, it does help you to realize the world is beautiful, not run down, dangerous, dirty like some might think.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:29 AM

3,664 posts, read 6,485,537 times
It certainly plays a part..

For me, its about seeing a destination and thinking "that looks awesome" and then doing some reading and research.

Lisbon was a place like that. I had heard of it, obviously, but never really would have had that on my list of places.

Then, I started seeing it appearing on lists and pages on Facebook and I delved into it. I then visited, and WOW! I loved it even more than I thought.. From there I shared my own info, and others I know or know of have went.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:51 AM

7,316 posts, read 4,157,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Well, it does help you to realize the world is beautiful, not run down, dangerous, dirty like some might think.
It also normalizes the idea of travel as a reasonable thing for "ordinary people" to do. Plenty of people grow up in homes where travel (apart from perhaps visiting the relatives) just wasn't done, any they may not have ever seriously thought of recreational travel as something that "people like me" can do.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:39 PM

32,073 posts, read 32,974,848 times
Not really as I was already relatively well traveled before social media became popular.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:24 AM

1,804 posts, read 806,686 times
I've seen too much Greece and France on social media to the point that I don't have any desire to visit these places.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:30 AM

1,804 posts, read 806,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Social media tells me that Paris is literally a war zone, the French version Detroit.
Social media tells me that there are tourist traps, corrupted police and unhygienic food in Mexico.
The list goes on and on.

Actually I have a friend who is living in Barcelona telling me how boring Europe is.

I think it kills all the perceived romance.

Plus I have been flying long-haul more than 20 times in my life and I honestly don't think the enjoyment of sightseeing can justify the pain. Maybe I should start travelling to exotic destinations when I have accumulated tons of wealth so I can fly business/first class and stay in the most luxury hotels.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:38 AM

6,561 posts, read 3,662,092 times
Facebook allows you to have ‘friends ‘ all over the world. That alone provides a measure of familiarity with places we might have been reluctant to visit otherwise. I can talk with people (in English) from Sydney to Tel Aviv to rural Piedmont in Italy to India and Brittany in France and back to London and Norwich and Brussels and Manila then across the US in just a few minutes. Some of those friends have been here to visit me. On the other hand, I have a friend who is not connected on the internet who thinks everyone outside of the US or a few parts of Europe lives in grass huts and eats dogs...and he’s not too sure about parts of the US.

Those of us who enjoy preplanning a trip have a huge resource in the internet to learn as much as we can beforehand.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:59 AM

34 posts, read 17,939 times
I think it does. I didn't want to travel to Thailand until recently seeing a friend's pics from a trip on instagram. Makes you feel like you're missing out, like your life is somehow less than theirs.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:16 AM

37,989 posts, read 55,756,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Not really as I was already relatively well traveled before social media became popular.
^^^ This. PLUS - I don't care about social media at all...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or