U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-23-2018, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV
5,690 posts, read 4,410,496 times
Reputation: 11639

Advertisements

I want to take my 13-year old granddaughter on trip in August. Apparently she is too young via airline regs to travel alone unless I pay a special rate. Id like to economize as much as possible. Heres the details. Hoping for input on best ways to make the trip.

Me: leaving from Las Vegas
Gk: leaving from Dallas

Destination: family wedding in Baltimore and then take in Washington DC and New York City sights

I would meet her in Dallas so she can travel with me.

Should we arrive in Baltimore, then take bus or train to Newark for a hotel there for a couple of days and then fly out of Newark. Or return to Baltimore to return home?

Should I book myself 2 seperate round trip tickets LAS-DFW. DFW/Baltimore or look for flights that connect in Dallas?

Any tips on where to stay in Balimore or for the NYC sight-seeing trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2018, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Niceville, FL
7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
Reputation: 7694
Usual advice is to keep it on a single ticket as much as possible because of how airlines handle single vs. multiple tickets in the event of flight delays. The minor situation makes it hard- their system is set up to catch and charge for UMs.

Can you stay with family in Dallas for a night? I'd probably do a standalone cheap flight (Southwest is useful here) the day before to allow for any delays, then go onward to Baltimore the next day on a different round trip/open jaw ticket that has both of you on the PNR (passenger name record) so she isn't pushed into unaccompanied minor status. Then Baltimore/Newark back to Dallas for the other part of the round trip/open jaw ticket, at least an eight hour buffer, and a cheap one way back to Vegas on a different ticket.

Coming home from Baltimore vs Newark- your call on whether any price savings are worth backtracking by land. Use 'advanced search' in the airline search engines to see how the open jaw or multi-city options compare to the round trip options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2018, 05:29 AM
 
32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
Reputation: 14944
For NYC I would advise staying in the Long Island City, Queens which is close to Midtown Manhattan with 24/7 access to the NYC subway system. Also there are 2 major airports in Queens - LGA & JFK as alternate to EWR to depart the area.

From Baltimore to NYC one can take Amtrak directly to Penn Station in Manhattan (& one can return this way if you want to fly out via Baltimore). There is nothing in particular to see in Newark so no real reason to go via Newark IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2018, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX and Las Vegas, NV
5,690 posts, read 4,410,496 times
Reputation: 11639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
For NYC I would advise staying in the Long Island City, Queens which is close to Midtown Manhattan with 24/7 access to the NYC subway system. Also there are 2 major airports in Queens - LGA & JFK as alternate to EWR to depart the area.

From Baltimore to NYC one can take Amtrak directly to Penn Station in Manhattan (& one can return this way if you want to fly out via Baltimore). There is nothing in particular to see in Newark so no real reason to go via Newark IMHO.
thanks much! I did book myself & gkid tickets into LGA and out of Washington DC; so well need to take a bus or train to Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2018, 01:17 PM
 
2,975 posts, read 2,701,897 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I want to take my 13-year old granddaughter on trip in August. Apparently she is too young via airline regs to travel alone unless I pay a special rate. Id like to economize as much as possible. Heres the details. Hoping for input on best ways to make the trip.

Me: leaving from Las Vegas
Gk: leaving from Dallas

Destination: family wedding in Baltimore and then take in Washington DC and New York City sights

I would meet her in Dallas so she can travel with me.

Should we arrive in Baltimore, then take bus or train to Newark for a hotel there for a couple of days and then fly out of Newark. Or return to Baltimore to return home?

Should I book myself 2 seperate round trip tickets LAS-DFW. DFW/Baltimore or look for flights that connect in Dallas?

Any tips on where to stay in Balimore or for the NYC sight-seeing trip?
Where in the Baltimore area is the wedding? I imagine you would want to stay as close to the venue as possible.

Is this your first time in NYC? If so, Midtown would be ideal. You said nothing about a budget, but if you want to save money, anywhere in the southern part of Manhattan, from 59th Street down to the Battery would be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2018, 05:27 PM
 
8,115 posts, read 8,618,403 times
Reputation: 9075
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Where in the Baltimore area is the wedding? I imagine you would want to stay as close to the venue as possible.

Is this your first time in NYC? If so, Midtown would be ideal. You said nothing about a budget, but if you want to save money, anywhere in the southern part of Manhattan, from 59th Street down to the Battery would be fine.


That's where the most expensive hotels in NYC are located. If you are flying in and out of LGA, then follow Chava's advice and stay in Long Island City or some part of northern queens. Take the subway into Manhattan for sightseeing. If you had been flying in/out of Newark, then it would have been a good idea to stay in NJ and then take the train out of Penn Station to Baltimore or a bus from Port Authority. From Queens, the transportation to Baltimore is a little longer, but it's doable. You can probably take a boltbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top