U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 08:37 AM

15,082 posts, read 19,041,938 times

Advertisements

I hate to say this, but so long as the US Constitution allows citizens to have guns, there will not be metal detectors at public places. Especially in Nevada which is an open carry state - and doesn't even require a permit to open carry.

I'm slightly hopeful that the US will ban assault and/or automatic weapons (eventually - ain't gonna happen now). I'm more hopeful that the age for purchasing a gun will be raised to 21. But that's about it. The constitution (to say nothing of the power of the NRA due to it's money donated for political campaigns,) will not allow much of a change at all.

(and yes, I lean republican)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 10:12 AM

1,940 posts, read 940,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I too have never gone through a metal detector during my hotel stays either time I was in China.
In India all 5 star hotels and hotels owned by American brands ( Marriott. Hilton and iHG) have the security guard checking under the car for a bomb at the hotel gate entrance. When you come in all luggage and hand baggage have to go through a metal detector. Every time during your stay. Same thing in Kenya and Tanzania.

For them labor is cheap and security is a lesser part of the hotel running expenses. I don't see that coming to the Hamptons and Courtyard here.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:30 PM

5,965 posts, read 2,902,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
All the major hotels in the middle east and China have metal detectors where you take your belongings vs before you check in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
Some hotels in urumqi.have this. All subways in Beijing have this. Currently in Cairo and most sights have this
Wow you sure changed your tune in a hurry. You went from claiming all the major hotels have metal detectors to a distinctly different claim of some hotels in one location, the Beijing metro, and tourist sites in Egypt.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:43 PM

6,216 posts, read 2,877,190 times
I recently got back in to the hospitality industry.

There are only a few guidelines for CONVENTION services, and none of them are about guns or the likes there of. We'd be broke in a heart beat as most that attend some of the conventions are packing heat. And when we have Secret service stay, good luck telling them to turn over their devices. It JUST isn't going to happen.

Our security is actually more laid back despite the hype of using digital keys . I'll take a deadbolt any day over these smart phone gadgets. I assure you, if its digital, it can be hacked.

Most business travelers are savvy about safety I will say that!

Old 02-24-2018, 03:18 PM

1,806 posts, read 810,049 times
Seriously, how many people have been killed in mass shootings in the last 50 years? Just a few hundreds! It's really no big deal.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:28 PM

218 posts, read 87,046 times
Don't recall anyone but the bad guy dying in the Mandalay. I do recall lots of hotel bombings in other countries.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:31 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,608 posts, read 742,946 times
Good point OP. Hope it catches on.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:56 PM

11,043 posts, read 3,999,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Seriously, how many people have been killed in mass shootings in the last 50 years? Just a few hundreds! It's really no big deal.
Really? Check your facts!

346 Mass shooting occurred in the U.S. in 2017!

https://www.abc15.com/news/data/mass...curred-in-2017

Mass shootings in the US: there have been 1,624 in 1,870 days: Check out the statistics here showing how many dead and injured at each mass shooting!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-gun-violence

Old 02-24-2018, 05:03 PM

9,405 posts, read 6,278,422 times
MrsM and I travel extensively in the US and we both carry in states that are legal

We have never been stopped in any hotel

Old 02-24-2018, 05:11 PM

2,921 posts, read 2,023,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I also think it's obvious (why hotels don't do this), but for a different reason. First, it's costly and the hotel owner has to absorb that, while costing more to install and operate they will ALSO drive customers away in 2 ways: first, the cost increase to cover the added cost of the "service" and second (probably a small portion) from people who don't want to deal with the hassle.

Seems like a HUGE thing to take on for what, one instance that it may have stopped if EVERY hotel had it in place? Or would that person just have opted for a Boston Marathon style bomb to achieve the same ends.
The second way customers would be driven away is bigger than one may think. Think about it: if you go into a gas station or quick service restaurant and see bulletproof glass everywhere or a fortress with bars on every door and window, what is your perception of that business or the area it's located in? It's probably not going to be good:
"I'm in a dangerous neighborhood! I need to get out of here!"
"What kind of clientele does this place cater to, anyway?!"
The same perception issue would occur if a hotel customer gets wanded with a metal detector, or if there's a visible presence of high security, especially considering that they will not just be stopping for a few minutes and leaving but spending a night or several there.

Last edited by Jowel; 02-24-2018 at 05:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel