U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 06:20 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times

Advertisements

I've never bought an RTW ticket but I've all the way around at least once. I've been to Asia 12 times now so it's possible that I've happened to make the loop around the other side a few times, but I remember at least one example specifically. (some of the east coast to asia nonstop flights go over the north pole so I'm thinking that wouldn't count)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
I use round-the-world tickets sold by airlines in the major alliances, in my case the Oneworld alliance (American, British, Qantas, Cathay Pacific etc.) I've used them to travel to places that I always wanted to visit, and because of their flexibility I've also used them for personal and business travel around the US. The alliance tickets are good for up to a year and include up to 16 flight segments.
Thanks Gardy! This is what I figured was meant and you always provide great commentary/insight from your wealth of experience. Good luck and best wishes with the knee replacement!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 01:17 PM

3,801 posts, read 2,013,251 times
There's a 180-day RTW (around 30 countries) cruise. Costs $35K per person.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:44 PM

4,374 posts, read 1,660,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
There's a 180-day RTW (around 30 countries) cruise. Costs $35K per person.
That would be $140K for, say, two couples. I bet you could do it cheaper by chartering a private yacht. Almost a thousand dollars a day.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:15 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,311,621 times
You can go around the world (75 days or so) on a container ship for €100 per day, inclusive. Freighter travel is a blast; we crossed the Pacific (Auckland - San Francisco) on a freighter some years ago and still think it was the best trip we ever took. https://www.freightercruises.com/SWN...hp#anchor_PEX3

Old 03-02-2018, 08:35 PM

309 posts, read 427,297 times
Quote:
You can go around the world (75 days or so) on a container ship for €100 per day, inclusive. Freighter travel is a blast; we crossed the Pacific (Auckland - San Francisco) on a freighter some years ago and still think it was the best trip we ever took. https://www.freightercruises.com/SWN...hp#anchor_PEX3
So very interesting. Would you share more of your experience? Is seasick an issue? What is the best thing you like about it, and the worst?

Old 03-03-2018, 08:27 AM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
We left from Phoenix -> Taiwan and kept going west through Asia, Africa, Middle East, Europe, and got to Mexico (closest measure to starting point) about 28 months later. We never did move back to USA (still in South America) so I guess it's a bit open-ended.

Old 03-03-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
So very interesting. Would you share more of your experience? Is seasick an issue? What is the best thing you like about it, and the worst?
Here's a PDF file documenting the trip - http://gardyloo.us/wp-content/upload...-Freighter.pdf .

I enjoyed two things the most (among many). First, the simple size of the Pacific. We crossed the entire ocean diagonally and didn't see one other ship except for the days in port in Fiji and on the last evening approaching San Francisco.

Second, I enjoyed seeing a whole facet of international trade and commerce, one that we're all completely dependent on, but which is hidden from our view for the most part. The officers we shared the trip with were incredibly well-informed on subjects that included international trade and economy, the politics and social standards in the countries they visited, weather, engineering... in addition to all the skills they needed, from navigation to communications to management, required for their work.

Over the three weeks we were on the ship, I can't say I was ever bored, but I imagine this kind of travel is certainly not for everybody. For us, it was at the end of a period of real go-go travel all over the world, so the "slow travel" (and it was indeed slow; the boat barely made 25 knots flat out) was quite welcome.

Freighters lay lower in the water than cruise ships (where balconies and views are a selling point) so the center of gravity is lower and the ship's movements are reduced. We had a couple of days of big water, and we had a little queasiness, but never outright sick. We had brought provisions with us - Dramamine, crystallized ginger, acupressure bands... but never needed them.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:26 PM

5,269 posts, read 3,313,639 times
Quote:
Over the three weeks we were on the ship, I can't say I was ever bored, but I imagine this kind of travel is certainly not for everybody. For us, it was at the end of a period of real go-go travel all over the world, so the "slow travel" (and it was indeed slow; the boat barely made 25 knots flat out) was quite welcome.
I've known about freighter travel before, but have never done it. Having read your report you mention US$100 - $120 per day per person, and this was 20 years ago correct, I wonder what the prices are today?

If a TransPacific trip is like 2 or 3 weeks, you are looking at $1,400 - $2,100 (one way), wouldn't it just be cheaper or about the same to just fly? I can understand if you're doing it for the experience and have all the time in the world or have a fear of flying, but with many flight deals out there, it seems like it would be cheaper (and of course faster) to fly.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:07 AM

4,374 posts, read 1,660,383 times
There was a time several decades ago, when it was virtually impossible to get on a cargo ship, because they were unwilling to pony up for insurance to cover them. In 1993, I had a friend who did it, but his family knew people in the shipping business.

It would be very good and encouraging news if it were now becoming possible again.

I've traveled twice on multi-day cargo vessels. I had to ship my car from Kuwait to Iran, and accompanied the vehicle on the dhow. And I crossed the Black Sea on a Ro-ro ferry that took three days, most of the passengers were truck drivers.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I've known about freighter travel before, but have never done it. Having read your report you mention US$100 - $120 per day per person, and this was 20 years ago correct, I wonder what the prices are today?

If a TransPacific trip is like 2 or 3 weeks, you are looking at $1,400 - $2,100 (one way), wouldn't it just be cheaper or about the same to just fly? I can understand if you're doing it for the experience and have all the time in the world or have a fear of flying, but with many flight deals out there, it seems like it would be cheaper (and of course faster) to fly.
The prices haven't changed much; most are now around €100 per person per day, probably closer to €130 if traveling alone (US$130 - $160.)

Apples and Oranges. Flying is cheaper for sure, but remember the cruise is inclusive of transportation, accommodation and food. You're basically getting a spacious ocean-view hotel suite, 3 meals a day, and intercontinental transportation for US$130 a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There was a time several decades ago, when it was virtually impossible to get on a cargo ship, because they were unwilling to pony up for insurance to cover them. In 1993, I had a friend who did it, but his family knew people in the shipping business.

It would be very good and encouraging news if it were now becoming possible again.

I've traveled twice on multi-day cargo vessels. I had to ship my car from Kuwait to Iran, and accompanied the vehicle on the dhow. And I crossed the Black Sea on a Ro-ro ferry that took three days, most of the passengers were truck drivers.
It's been available all along, it just required some sleuthing. Some cargo lines that offered passenger travel have stopped, others got bought out or went out of business, but others have entered the business. The travel agency I referenced above, Maris - https://www.freightercruises.com/ - is one of the current major resources, but not the only one. A quick web search for "freighter cruises" will yield more results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or