Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 01:45 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
I use round-the-world tickets sold by airlines in the major alliances, in my case the Oneworld alliance (American, British, Qantas, Cathay Pacific etc.) I've used them to travel to places that I always wanted to visit, and because of their flexibility I've also used them for personal and business travel around the US. The alliance tickets are good for up to a year and include up to 16 flight segments.

Here's an example of one trip I made - starting in Sweden, visited Spain, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, then traveled around the US including visits to family in Alaska, then more friends and family in the UK and Israel before ending back in Sweden. On other trips I've visited Asia and South America.
I'm researching this option. Did you book via the One World website or use a travel agent?

We're planning a trip to Australia and New Zealand. Business class tickets are about $7500 each and I'm thinking we can go RTW for maybe double that amount.

Any other recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 04:02 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
I did an around the world trip on a business trip.

Boston - LAX - Sydney - Melbourne - Sydney - Seoul - Taipei - Hong Kong - London - Boston. LAX was a fairly short layover. The other cities were all at least a couple nights.

My other Asia, Australia, and New Zealand trips have all been Pacific trips. That's the only time I've ever flown from Asia to Europe.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:43 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I'm researching this option. Did you book via the One World website or use a travel agent?

We're planning a trip to Australia and New Zealand. Business class tickets are about $7500 each and I'm thinking we can go RTW for maybe double that amount.

Any other recommendations?
Here's a (long and wordy) post I wrote on TA a few years ago on the subject. It's still pretty current although some prices have changed. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...ir_Travel.html

Basically RTW tickets are priced very differently depending on where you start the trip. For business class tickets, the US is among the most expensive starting points; for example a Oneworld four-continent business class RTW ticket starting in the USA (any place in the country) has a base price of $10,299 plus taxes and fees (which will vary according to the stopover points and airlines used, but typically add around 15% - 20% to that total.)

The same ticket, but starting in Canada, costs $8,278 plus taxes and fees. Or starting in Norway (one of the cheaper countries at the moment) it's $7131+, or from Japan $6904+. Is it worth spending $180 or so to fly up to Toronto in order to save two grand on the ticket? Or $700 or so to get to Norway to save three grand? (In a word, "Duh.")

That ticket would get you an itinerary that COULD look like this, or one of a zillion alternative plans: YYZ-LHR-BCN-HEL-DOH-CPT-JNB-MRU-JNB-SYD-CNS-MEL-AKL-SYD-DFW-LAX-YVR

This would let you bounce around Europe and the Middle East before visiting South Africa, with an island break to Mauritius, before crossing the Indian Ocean to Australia and New Zealand, then back home to Texas, with a later trip to the west coast if you desire.

Or if you preferred Asia to Africa, for the same price you could do something like this: YYZ-HKG-NRT-BKK-SIN-PER-AKL-SYD-MEL-HKG-TLV-MAD-CPH-LHR-AUS-JFK-YVR

However, starting someplace outside North America when using the Oneworld Explorer product has distinct advantages in that the rules allow six flights within North America but only two stopovers of greater than 24 hours in the "continent of origin." So starting in, say, Europe has the advantage of allowing greater use of the ticket within North America for secondary trips-within-a-trip, if you get my meaning. For example, take this itinerary - OSL-LHR-AUS-JFK-YVR-DFW-ANC-DFW-HNL-SYD-AKL-MEL-HKG-NRT-SIN-DOH-OSL. This would have you start in Norway but head home, maybe with a break in London, than would give you two separate "stand alone" trips within North America, one to New York and Vancouver and the other to Alaska, as well as a Hawaiian stopover en route to Australia. (These could be California, or the Caribbean, Central America... anywhere you want in North and Central America.) You'd go back to work or school between the flights; the only rigid requirement is you'd have to be back in Norway before the first anniversary of the first flight.

Oneworld has an online "tool" that allegedly lets you book these trips online, but it's a true POS and so it's easier simply to contact the American Airlines RTW desk in Fort Worth - 1-800-247-3247 - and they can walk you through the process.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
We did 2016 RTW (due to not wanting to deal with USA during and election yr.)

One way ticket to Australia (Late 2015); figure it out from there, just make it home for election day.

~ 4 months in NZ / Australia, then when it started to get cold, and days got shorter, head west.
~ $40k for entire yr away (for 2), most expense was rental campervans and cars and fuel (will buy used cars next time (only diesels).
(8) total nights in hotels (due to early flights). The rest of stays in private Guest homes (couple months at camps / schools off-season barter).

No RTW airfare, cheaper to buy 'legs' on discount carriers. Total airfare (20+ flights) <$4k each. (lots of <$50 flights in Asia and Europe)

Took a Ship for 20 days UAE to Italy. That was a nice break in the air travel routine. and saw many places I would not have if flying.

Election yr is coming, We will be leaving USA (again). Have not done SA or Africa yet (except on business). will wait until AFTER more Spanish immersion classes. I think it would be a lot more fun knowing the predominant languages or taking a 'guide'. (Local college kid wanting free travel).

Soliciting destinations, but will be spending longer times (months) near 'hubs' (or hiding out at beach or mtns). RTW? not sure, but it is really sweet to follow the sun / long days = nice flowers / botanical gardens, and more time to enjoy each day, and lighter packing.

No hurry to get back to USA. (no healthcare yet... not age 65). Travel health insurance is CHEAP, but not intended to be 'primary'. Drugs and care MUCH cheaper elsewhere (than USA)

Old 09-29-2018, 09:08 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
The same ticket, but starting in Canada, costs $8,278 plus taxes and fees. Or starting in Norway (one of the cheaper countries at the moment) it's $7131+, or from Japan $6904+. Is it worth spending $180 or so to fly up to Toronto in order to save two grand on the ticket? Or $700 or so to get to Norway to save three grand? (In a word, "Duh.")
Thanks for the awesome info as always! Is there an easy way to reference the RTW ticket cost based on originating country?

Old 09-30-2018, 02:46 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Just curious, what's the fascination with RTW trips?
It's a cheap way to see the world! Let's say you do a RT to Bangkok, how much would that cost? And then, you do a RT to Tel Aviv, how much would that cost?

So instead of returning, when you're half-way around the world, why not just go all the way around and hit some spots en route. Another plus is you avoid long flights!

I did a RTW trip in January of 1991. I had already seen a good part of Europe during my Hippie backpacking days, so I largely skipped over Europe as I was in a hell of a hurry to get to India and Nepal and SE Asia.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:51 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,605,519 times
When I was younger I considered the notion of a RTW trip as sort of a romantic "tic-the-box" goal: to be the only person I knew who had ever done that trip. But my aimless & penniless period only allowed me to thumb through Europe end-to-end. But I admit I started out as a hopeless Europhile & my teen-aged self didn't give thought to traveling much beyond its borders. After that I was confined by job pressures to limit time abroad & visited 1-2 places in the week or two allotted. I too considered the OneWorld RTW ticketing about 20+ years ago but decided my main takeaway would be airports-taxis-traffic-flights & dropped it.

As I've gotten older the notion of a "hit & run" itinerary has no appeal at all. When I was young I needed to see in person all of the great cities I had been reading about & watching in films all my short life: London, Paris, Rome, etc... Now that I'm limited in years remaining & energy, I prefer to settle in & observe the local routines of some places that have caught my fancy. I'm more interested in going deep than wide I guess would be a way to consider it.

If I was still working & had to do multiple spread out intercontinental stops I probably would consider it just for some arbitrary reason, but I might also consider just choosing the itinerary based on the best business lounges.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:49 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Thanks for the awesome info as always! Is there an easy way to reference the RTW ticket cost based on originating country?
They used to be listed by the airlines, but most countries including the EU now require that airfares listed online be inclusive of taxes and fees, and because each RTW route is going to be different on that front (different airport taxes, for example) the airlines pulled them. You can go to a paid service, Expert Flyer - and access them - https://www.expertflyer.com/ - or another called KVS - KVS Availability Tool: Membership Levels & Contribution Options - which is cheaper but I find harder to use.

There are also a few boards on Flyertalk where cheap fares and RTW fares are covered, if you're willing to put up with the jargon. The "Mileage Run" boards, particularly the "Premium Fare Deals" sub-board is very useful for point-to-point fares - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/ - and the Global Alliance boards are full of RTW information - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glob...alliances-391/

If you want to know where the cheapest places (at the moment - things change) might be, just ask me or send me a PM.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:49 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
Thanks! But my round the world opportunity probably won't be possible until 4 years from now at the soonest. :/
(Can't rep you apparently til I spread more around)

Old 09-30-2018, 08:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Ouch...
I hope to have a few more RTW done by then.
I will need to research the options as I have a zillion SA points to burn before I croak.

Doubt if any will be using a RTW fare. Used to be very flexible so you could tailor your routing as you progressed (up to 1 yr / 12 + stops in the process). Now... With change fees / and the very limited seating on most flights, 'flexibility' costs you dearly.

Need SWA to add some extra fuel for the 737's (Free changes, free bags)

A good friend used to buy the Continental 12 month passes. Could fly once every week! (and bring a companion) He spoke all around the world so made several RTW / yr, great gig. (You also accumulated miles!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel