U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:17 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,313,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Thanks! But my round the world opportunity probably won't be possible until 4 years from now at the soonest. :/
Not so fast. On your other thread - To Stopover or Not - you made it sound like this trip was going to take place pretty soon, basically Florida to Southeast Asia and back; you were looking for comments on possible stopover points (vs. the "pull the band-aid off all at once.") It also sounded like you were planning to travel in economy class on this trip.

As I mentioned above, RTW tickets have very different prices depending on the country where the travel begins. In economy class, a three-continent Oneworld Explorer started in Canada has a base price of US$2835 vs. $3599 if starting in the US. Kids under 12 needing a seat are 25% less.

Now I don't know what sort of prices you're seeing for your planned trip (with two "destinations" of Hong Kong/Macau etc. and Singapore/Penang/KL) but here's an imaginary east-to-west RTW that would allow stopovers in every place listed prior to your return to North America at the end of the trip - YYZ-LAX-HNL-NRT-HKG-SIN-KUL-AMM-MAD-MIA

Or here's a west-to-east version that would likely involve fewer flight hours - YYZ-MIA-PHL-AMS-AMM-KUL-SIN-HKG-NRT-HNL-DFW-MIA . Now these could be stopover points, or just plane changes, or places where you get off the plane and spend a few hours or overnight in an airport hotel while you collect yourselves - your call. You get free baggage (2 bags per ticketed person) as well as free date changes or major itinerary revisions for $125 (vs. typically $200 or more on conventional tickets.)

The tickets allow up to 16 flights, so you could add some extra segments in Europe or the Middle East, or one more in Asia if you wanted. You could also add flight segments in North America, but you'd only be allowed two 24h+ stopovers in North America, which in the second example would be Miami at the beginning and Hawaii at the end, but those are just imaginary of course.

Yes, you'd have to get to Canada to start the trip (in the second one that could be any time before the big trip, giving you time back at home between getting the ticket and the actual "big" trip begins.) One-way airfare from south Florida to, say, Toronto, is fairly cheap, and because you're starting and ending in North America, you wouldn't have to return to Canada to finish the trip.

So anyway, maybe worth considering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 01:05 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,967,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Doubt if any will be using a RTW fare. Used to be very flexible so you could tailor your routing as you progressed (up to 1 yr / 12 + stops in the process). Now... With change fees / and the very limited seating on most flights, 'flexibility' costs you dearly.
Thanks for mentioning this. I somehow had not thought about it, but yeah if you have to have your full itinerary picked out before purchasing that is a significant negative factor. I would still consider it, but certainly sways me a lot.

And also, if we're talking about simply circumnavigating the globe then there's a strong possibility we will go RTW this year. But I was of course specifically referring to the special ticket and taking our time to slowly make our way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Not so fast. On your other thread - To Stopover or Not - you made it sound like this trip was going to take place pretty soon, basically Florida to Southeast Asia and back; you were looking for comments on possible stopover points (vs. the "pull the band-aid off all at once.") It also sounded like you were planning to travel in economy class on this trip.
You are correct! And wow I appreciate you taking the time to offer all these insights. I am actually looking at fairly cheap flights...my latest best routing would price out under $1150/adult from MIA back to MIA, a little less for the kid ticket. This is with stops in NYC, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Penang, KL, and LA.

Flights between KUL, PEN and SIN are routinely under 30 USD so those are probably a waste for a RTW segment. And generally speaking I would want to max out the RTW, use the better part of a year, and make stops in as many corners of the world as possible.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
You are correct! And wow I appreciate you taking the time to offer all these insights. I am actually looking at fairly cheap flights...my latest best routing would price out under $1150/adult from MIA back to MIA, a little less for the kid ticket. This is with stops in NYC, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Penang, KL, and LA.
Wow, terrific. Go for it.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
$1150 is a pretty good fare for RTW. ( I have been getting LAX RT SIN for $513, so $1150 seems about right)

If you could add a few more stops in hubs that you desire ...(not (3) within 2 hours...Penang / KL / SIN!) you could probably do an extended trip and do regional flights from the hubs. (depends how far out the carrier allows reservations)

BTW, my kids LOVED Penang and Lang Kawi. But... <$40 OW from SIN.

Following the sun / good weather was really great for our last trip. I can imagine LONG days as a very productive way of life, and why some Saskatchewan farmers own large farms in Australia. 16+ hrs of daylight Year Round would have been a great 'life-choice'.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:14 PM

9,860 posts, read 10,113,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Just curious, what's the fascination with RTW trips?
I suppose it is just because. I know a few people who scheduled them for business if they were flying to Asia or the Middle East anyway.

The Air India flight from Delhi to San Francisco follows two different routes to capture trade winds. It's as close to RTW flight that exists with a single nonstop flight and return.
Great Circle route (look here first) Calculates to 62% of a half circumference.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:42 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,814,968 times
My girlfriend and I did a few years ago over about 3 1/2 weeks. D.C. to NYC, NYC to Reykjavik, Reykjavik to Amsterdam, Amsterdam to Singapore, Singapore to Seoul, Seoul to Tokyo, Tokyo to San Francisco, SFO to D.C. Had a blast. When I retire I plan on doing a round the world cruise.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
When I retire I plan on doing a round the world cruise.
Or take a sabbatical and do it sooner, on a freighter. https://www.freightercruises.com/voy...p#anchor_menue

Old TR of a transpacific freighter cruise my wife and I did - http://gardyloo.us/wp-content/upload...-Freighter.pdf

Old 10-02-2018, 05:35 PM

5,936 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
As I've gotten older the notion of a "hit & run" itinerary has no appeal at all. When I was young I needed to see in person all of the great cities I had been reading about & watching in films all my short life: London, Paris, Rome, etc... Now that I'm limited in years remaining & energy, I prefer to settle in & observe the local routines of some places that have caught my fancy. I'm more interested in going deep than wide I guess would be a way to consider it.
I don't think the preference to settle into places for awhile is mutually exclusive with RTW travel. There is no hurry.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:37 PM

5,936 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
it is really sweet to follow the sun
We tend to follow weather too, especially since hate the cold. We'll fly across the world and resettle just to be somewhere that has favorable weather for the season.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:12 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,481,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
We tend to follow weather too, especially since hate the cold. We'll fly across the world and resettle just to be somewhere that has favorable weather for the season.
That's one of the RTW challenges. I hate cold weather too. We will design our RTW around Australia. Probably in March, so that limits us to the southern hemisphere.

We've not been to SE Asia, so will research cities in that area such as Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, Phnom Penh, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or