Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 06:39 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times

Advertisements

Maybe some sort of cruise with island stops would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 05:48 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
I also have 2 kids (12 & 10).

I suggest a cruise! Something for everyone! Your DH can relax and you can explore in port. I would cruise to Jamaica as a port for the day, but I would NOT go there to stay with my kids! Everything you do there needs to be an excursion, no wandering on your own! It’s a fabulous place but not safe to just wander without a guide!

Like I said, a cruise will satisfy everyone’s needs! My kids loved it and everyone can do their own thing! Look at Royal Caribbean! Very family friendly and much cheaper than Hawaii as all meals are included

Old 02-26-2018, 05:55 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Because trying to co -ordinate everyones vacation time , schedules is a nightmare and one I gave up long ago , you will never get a group of more than five people to agree on much of anything anymore but God bless anyone who tries .

Old 02-26-2018, 08:31 AM

768 posts, read 859,614 times
When my kids were 12 and 10, they came where we decided to go for vacation and they always had a good time. Really, why would they get a choice? Do they have jobs or trust funds?

Old 02-26-2018, 09:24 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
When my kids were 12 and 10, they came where we decided to go for vacation and they always had a good time. Really, why would they get a choice? Do they have jobs or trust funds?
I was thinking the same thing.

Now, if there are serious health considerations that is one thing, for example the parents shouldn't select a wilderness hiking vacation if their child is in a wheelchair and couldn't participate. But other than something like that the parents should just choose the place.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:17 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
I guess the OP runs her family as a democracy where individual choices matter. It is of course easier to be a dictator and then say that you are going where we are going or we are dropping you off at grandma/prison since you can't stay at home. Both styles have advantages and disadvantages...

Old 02-26-2018, 12:11 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Go to Costa Rica!

Old 02-26-2018, 12:24 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:

That's how I remember life growing up. Parents were paying, so they got to pick our vacations. We could figure out how to enjoy ourselves or not. If we weren't enjoying ourselves, that was fine, we just had to be silent about it. Our family definitely wasn't a democracy. I survived. LOL

Old 02-26-2018, 01:28 PM

569 posts, read 440,340 times
In January I went to Bayahibe in the Dominican Republic and stayed at an All-Inclusive Resort (Dreams Dominicus.) It is in a smaller town so you can venture out of the resort and act like a local. It has calm beautiful water out front of the hotel with great snorkeling along the outer edge of the swimming area and many other opportunities for watersports such as paddleboarding, kayaking, hobie cats, paddle boats, etc. There are excursions you can choose to take for an extra fee or you can just stay onsite. The preferred beach was a great place to relax under palapas and also the pools were great. I previously traveled to Punta Cana and did not love it but Bayahibe was right up my alley. I've also heard that Dreams La Romana is even better than Dreams Dominicus. There are also other resorts highly regarded in that location.

I don't think you are going to find one magical place that checks off all the boxes. A great family vacation is where everyone gets to do some of what they want to do and everyone can compromise a little to let the others in the group accomplish that goal.

Another location that we really enjoy is Cozumel. It is easy to act like a local there and safe to walk around on your own. Snorkeling and watersports are great as well and there are a number of condo options, hotels, and all-inclusive hotels. I have stayed all three ways there and enjoyed each trip.

I have not been to Jamaica but I have heard from others that it is not always safe to walk around on your own outside of the resorts. I can't say that is true from my own perspective but I have heard it many times from a variety of sources so I would expect there is some merit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Maybe its just me...my family (hubby, 11 and 12 year olds and me)...we just have different desires. I am trying to plan a week long family vacation in August and for the life of me I cant even come up with a destination!

Hubby likes to relax...a lot. Not at all into out doors things. No hiking, biking, kayaking, etc. He likes luxury resorts, nice restaurants, mid-day naps.

I like to avoid tourist areas. I want to feel like a local. I much prefer to rent a vocation rental and "move in" for the week. I am not very athletic or outdoorsy either, but do try to do things outside my comfort zone to make my kids happy. I hate excessive heat!!

12 year old likes adventure, the ocean, wild life. I think we always disappoint on some level. He loves going into the ocean (I HATE IT!!!). He really wants to go somewhere with very clear calm ocean water for snorkeling and more swimming.

11 year old likes a more calm environment...but if she has sun and a pool, she is happy. She is kind of hard to travel with because she gets very nervous around new things and takes a couple days to settle in and join the vacation.

We also have a disabled family member so that is much harder to plan around.

I have been researching places for a couple weeks and cant even come close to settling on one. Why is it so hard?! Any good resources for looking for places? I have read 100 lists and nothing seems to suit us. I might be over thinking it.

Jamaica?

Old 02-26-2018, 04:31 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Every year, I struggle with this, but all-in-all things have worked out pretty well. I have no solution, other than to keep everyone involved in the planning process and on the road. If things go bad in one place, fix it immediately. Move to a different hotel/resort/place - whatever - just stop defending your plan and end the misery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel