U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 03:22 AM

26 posts, read 10,856 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm sure there would be many people who would get amazed by seeing the pictures of travelers. Some people have lifestyle of traveling and writes blog about it. Then there are people who work full time and their work is dependent on them so they hardly get off.

My question is to them, how do you fulfill their desire of travel? What do you do to evade the work and take time off to vacations when the work is highly dependent on you? How do you plan for taking vacations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 04:45 AM

5,300 posts, read 3,338,061 times
I have a "normal" 9-5 M-F job and do enjoy traveling, and usually take one big trip a year and some smaller long weekend trips. I'm grateful that I get 3 weeks off a year, plus I work for a university/college that shuts down from Christmas to New Year's, so in reality I have 4 weeks off a year.

Last edited by cjseliga; 02-27-2018 at 05:45 AM..

Old 02-27-2018, 06:28 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,706,078 times
Twice in my early working life, I just quit my job to travel for 8 months or more, and looked for work when I got home.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:24 AM

9,028 posts, read 8,447,613 times
I budget for it. I put a few hundred dollars a month into a separate bank account. I can usually get one plane ticket for free with miles every year, purchase another one for my wife, and we are off somewhere for a few weeks.

Neither of us is a fan of expensive resorts, so we stay a boutique hotels, b&bs, or with friends. We try to avoid peak travel season in any destination, arriving at the very beginning or very end of the local peak. This allows us to save a fair bit on lodging and local transportation.

I get plenty of vacation at work and my wife is self-employed, so although we have to schedule appropriately, it isnít difficult.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:00 AM

2,664 posts, read 1,559,752 times
I get 7 weeks of PTO a year and my husband is self employed. We time it so that we have coverage by booking trips 6 months or so in advance. We save for travel just like retirement or home repairs.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:26 AM

9,228 posts, read 9,300,397 times
DW and I have always made travel a priority. In the last two and one-half years we've visited Germany, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria, Portugal, and Spain.

How do we do it? A good family income for starters. Next, we shop for travel deals. Like Annabanana, my wife wife gets about 5 weeks of paid vacation per year and I am self-employed. I was able to pick up over 400,000 frequent flyer miles by carefully taking advantage of credit card deals and aggregating the points into a single account. When we go to Europe, we no longer do tours or packages. We book our air fare separately with frequent flyer miles and than pick our hotels through websites like hotels.com, tripadvisor, bookings.com, and travelocity.

We have always loved travel and made into a major hobby. The most critical part of it is understanding a bit about geography and the world. Knowing where you want to go and what you want to do when you get there is critical.

Its not for everyone. There are unique challenges. I have arrived in cities and found that the rental car agency would not honor a rental car reservation. You get sick sometimes and have to manage your illness while traveling. It is not fun to have make multiple flights while you are fighting a cold or sinus infection. I have never been to Mexico without getting Montezuma's revenge. Fourteen years ago, I had to take my son to a hospital in Canada. Some people would really rather stay home and use money for another purpose. Looking back, though, DW are thrilled that we have been able to see much of this world and we look forward to what we will see in the next decade or two.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:58 AM

11,043 posts, read 4,011,569 times
My DH and I both work hard and make it a priority to travel and unwind. We usually do two (2-3 day) trips just as a couple and one big family trip that is 5-8 days, plus one to three weekend trips with the kids as well. I like to expose my kids to different experiences and they enjoy it as well. We have done everything from cruises to Disney to waterparks and camping. My DH travels a lot for work and racks up a lot of flier miles and free hotel stays so it definitely helps with the cost! We plan some trips a year out and others at the last minute. I basically have unlimited vacation time at my job, but I don't abuse it. My DH gets 4 weeks off, but he also receives comp days when he travels overseas and works extended hours.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:28 AM

7,332 posts, read 4,183,795 times
i do it the way most people do: I save up money, and use my vacation time. Mu vacations are generally planned at least six months in advance, so I can work around my colleagues' schedules to insure we have adequate coverage at work while I'm gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or