Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:38 PM

494 posts, read 501,403 times

Advertisements

AA is the worst. THEY HAVE LOST MY BUSINESS FOREVER. I was .1 oz (yes, point one ounce) over the weight limit and would have been charged had I not removed one shoe from my bag. AA will never get another dollar of my money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:55 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
AA is the worst. THEY HAVE LOST MY BUSINESS FOREVER. I was .1 oz (yes, point one ounce) over the weight limit and would have been charged had I not removed one shoe from my bag. AA will never get another dollar of my money.
Let me get this straight: you're upset that the airline held you to the well-publicized rule regarding pricing? Once the airline let you slip by with being .1 oz over, the next guy in line who is 1 pound over will ask for the same treatment and say that its not a "big deal" weight-wise. But all of that adds up. There are many reasons to be upset with American and other airlines. This doesn't seem like one of them IMO.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 03-01-2018 at 08:29 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 08:50 PM

981 posts, read 899,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep. For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would use an online travel agency to book an airline ticket. You don't save any money and it adds a layer which pretty much guarantees bad service if something goes wrong.

My life is too short to ever fly 'basic economy'. No seat assignment means you're getting a middle seat back by the blue toilet water flanked by the 300 pound woman and the NFL linebacker. Your 'personal item' barely big enough to hold a toothbrush is at your feet so you have nowhere to put your legs in that 30" seat pitch seat designed for Hobbits and Dwarves.

I pretty much never check bags but if I don't have status with the airline and I need to check a bag, I'm at the airport early and use curbside check-in if that's possible.
ME TOO. I can’t understand why anyone would book through a 3rd party agency, at one point many years ago maybe there were some discounts, but now the airlines own sites have the same pricing - and so much easier to deal with changes and refunds directly with the airline.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
ME TOO. I can’t understand why anyone would book through a 3rd party agency, at one point many years ago maybe there were some discounts, but now the airlines own sites have the same pricing - and so much easier to deal with changes and refunds directly with the airline.
The airlines generally have the same pricing (and often a few dollars cheaper as my search on Orbitz vs. AmericanAirines.com just showed), but that is for that particular airline. The online travel agency will show you pricing for multiple different airlines (and even combinations of airlines) to get you to where you have to go, in effect becoming a one stop shop for your travel arrangements via air. This is time saving and more convenient than having to search the website of airline after airline to truly price compare.

As for changes, once I have your ticket from the airline after purchasing through an online travel agent, I have had no problem calling the airline directly to make changes. Note, I can't speak for refunds as the times that I've had to cancel my ticket I did so within 24 hours of making my purchase and was refunded by the online travel agency.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:25 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The online travel agency will show you pricing for multiple different airlines (and even combinations of airlines) to get you to where you have to go, in effect becoming a one stop shop for your travel arrangements via air.
There are both good things and bad things with that. You can sometimes find tickets and routings that would be difficult to keep on one ticket. On the down side, those tickets can get somewhat squirrelly. I know someone who used to be an American gate agents and there were time when they had all kinds of problems with the OTAs selling tickets where connections were below the airline minimum legal connection time and then she'd get stuck trying to fix things for the person who had been sold a ticket by the OTA that had them trying to make a 20 minute international to domestic connection in Philadelphia.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
There are both good things and bad things with that. You can sometimes find tickets and routings that would be difficult to keep on one ticket. On the down side, those tickets can get somewhat squirrelly. I know someone who used to be an American gate agents and there were time when they had all kinds of problems with the OTAs selling tickets where connections were below the airline minimum legal connection time and then she'd get stuck trying to fix things for the person who had been sold a ticket by the OTA that had them trying to make a 20 minute international to domestic connection in Philadelphia.
The downside you listed is, indeed, a problem. I make sure that, when using an online travel agency, I only purchase a ticket for a flight with a layover if there is adequate time for me to make the layover (typically an hour for domestic flights).

Old 03-02-2018, 04:28 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I avoid AA as much as possible! They are never on time, extremely rude and over priced! No thanks!
AA sounds like Air Canada. Their flights leave late which means connecting flights are lost. Baggage goes to the wrong plane, wrong city and they over-book flights on a regular basis. So you sit there all day waiting to see if you can get on the next plane. You're lucky if you make it out that day... and if not, they won't give you an allowance if you are forced to spend a night in a motel because of something THEY did wrong.

If they messed up on not booking a flight you paid for, they won't reimburse you. (they give you a small credit for your next flight with them WITHIN a certain time frame. That's acceptable if you fly often for business, but what if you aren't a frequent flyer? The credit is lost into their pockets.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:27 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
Entitled much? A rule is a rule. What is so special about you that they should make an exception? Take one item out of your suitcase, put it in your carryon, and quit yer whinin'!

Old 03-02-2018, 12:42 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,524,808 times
I had two bags that were carryons on SW-- they are always helpful- but AA refused to use them.. AA"s rule was not communicated to orbitz and they have a financial arrangement with them.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I had two bags that were carryons on SW-- they are always helpful- but AA refused to use them.. AA"s rule was not communicated to orbitz and they have a financial arrangement with them.
I'd blame Orbitz for that. AA's rules are publicized directly on their website. For that matter, I suggest that you go onto the airline's website after/if you book a seat on an online travel website to look into such matters/choose your seat (I always go onto the actual airline website to check-in online and to look into baggage policy)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel