U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 10:52 AM

7,312 posts, read 15,368,793 times

Advertisements

Depends on the trip.

A lot of trailer camping trips have to be planned well in advance, particularly if you are staying at a National Park or even a state park. Since sites are reserved on-line, you need to plan 6-9 months out if your stay includes Friday-Sunday from about May-September.

Longer trips I tend to plan in advance as well - anything over, say, 5 days or that requires a long flight. Since I don't live near a large airport and have to plan on connecting, those connecting flights go quickly.

Short stay trips can be done at the last minute, particularly if they are within driving distance. A couple of weeks ago I decided on a Monday that I wanted to drive 300 miles to see a songwriter that I've always admired but never had the chance to see. We left that Wednesday, came back Friday. Although since we decided to board the dog, it's easier to do those in the off season rather than summer/holidays when the kennel is full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 03:01 PM

13,051 posts, read 15,412,261 times
As soon as I know I am going. And I research everything to death.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:44 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,097,908 times
I usually pick my international travel and some of my domestic destinations based on deals so most of the time I don't know where I will be traveling, just a general time of year of when we can go. Most of the time that means that I book a destination within hours to a day or two after a deal is posted and then research the destination afterwards.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:43 PM

9,426 posts, read 7,108,610 times
For me.. The planning of going and where I'm staying.. That starts usually about a year in advance. Researching, checking flights, costs, etc..

Booking usually happens about 6 months out.. I'll probably be booking a trip to Vegas in October here in the next two weeks or so.

Planning what I do at the vacation spot.. I generally make a list of things that I must, or want to do starting once I've decided to go there.. Just a general outline.. Anything that requires tickets.. Purchase them well ahead of time.. But minutia? I go by seat of pants alot. Last summer I took family to DC and we had two things planned out.. Capitol tour and White House tour.. Those were set in stone. The rest.. I knew the things we wanted to do.. National Zoo, Smithsonians, things like that.. But we sort of filled in those items on the fly. I also had plans for dinner with friends while we were there, and they pushed things back a day, so.. Not having a set-in-stone plan made adapting much easier.

Even on the day of the trip.. We drove up from SC.. When I got to Charlotte, I made the snap decision to go up a different way in order to make a side trip to Luray to see the caverns on the way up vs making a day trip out there while we were in DC.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:27 PM

89 posts, read 71,573 times
The quality of our trips depends literally on how well we can sleep at night. So once we've chosen a destination, I'm looking for lodging that meets our needs. For international trips this means 6-9 months in advance. It seems far off but it's surprising how quickly the good spots can fill up.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:41 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,907,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
For major trips, I plan a year in advance.
yes, 8 months to one year, especially international
Long weekend or less then 1 week domestic is usually spur of the moment

Old 03-08-2018, 04:42 AM

4,453 posts, read 1,693,092 times
Sometimes I even change my itinerary half way through the trip A few years ago I flew to Kyrgyzstan, intending to fly back to Istanbul and then go overland to Georgia. But I then heard about the Black Sea Ro-ro truck ferries, and when I flew back to Istanbul, I took the overnight bus through Bulgaria, Romania, and spent a week in Moldova and Ukraine (and Transdniestria!), and sailed from Odessa to Batumi, and flew back to Istanbul from Tbilisi.

Now with Wifi, a tablet, and CheapOAir, all such things are not just possible, they are easy, in fact, they are staring you in the face.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:33 AM

21,971 posts, read 22,145,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I start thinking about a year out & I like to have an idea of the trips 2 & 3 years down the road ( international trips) It is all part of the fun for me, dreaming about it & researching the areas. Right now I am trying to decide on whether to visit Utah in May or not.
I can help with that decision: "Yes!" You couldn't find a better time to visit (unless maybe September). If you were thinking about the "Big Five" national parks, I would love to answer any questions you might have. If you've never been to them, you'll be amazed by their beauty.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:35 AM

21,971 posts, read 22,145,963 times
We'll generally start planning a domestic vacation anywhere from 3 to 9 months out, and an international one anywhere from 1 year to 2 years out. And I start day-dreaming about places to visit years and years out.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:13 AM

7,745 posts, read 9,050,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
We'll generally start planning a domestic vacation anywhere from 3 to 9 months out, and an international one anywhere from 1 year to 2 years out. And I start day-dreaming about places to visit years and years out.
I have years worth of trips thought out. As soon as I take one I start researching another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
As soon as I know I am going. And I research everything to death.
I'm this way too. I want to know what I'm getting into so there are few surprises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or