Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 04:54 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I have years worth of trips thought out. As soon as I take one I start researching another.

I'm this way too. I want to know what I'm getting into so there are few surprises.
Surprises is what I go there for. I am not very interested in going to a place that will nor surprise me. Sadly, I quite often discover that the features I am most eager to see are disappointing, or even worse, I try too hard to convince myself that they are as fulfilling as I had hoped they would be.

I don't even research the weather, and when I went to Addis Ababa (hey, it's in Africa), I had to buy warm clothes. I'm one of very few people who has ever walked through snow in shirt sleeves in an African capital (Maseru). Sikkim is also very cold and un-India-like. Take a jacket to wait in line at the Chile-Argentina immigration post. It's above the snow line most of the year.

I check and see if visas are required and if my charger plug will work, and then I'm good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 10:00 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
My trips consist of going to the beach. I live close enough that I can drive to many. As such, I've been known to book the day before I want to be there.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:07 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
It depends on the trip.

If the trip is to attend a particular event, I generally book 51 weeks in advance. Quite often, I can get a hotel before they load the much higher "special event rates." For example, I went to the Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting a few years back in Omaha and booked a room for $45 instead of $150 per night.

There are a number of locations where you need to book six months in advance just to find a room at a reasonable price - Yosemite, Canadian Rockies, etc.

By the way, if you book a cancelable reservation months in advance and the rates drop later on, you can always cancel it.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:37 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times
We are now searching for tickets/hotel reservations for our trip in November. We have very specific dates for that week when my son have most of the days off so we have to start looking early.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:32 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times
Default Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I start thinking about a year out & I like to have an idea of the trips 2 & 3 years down the road ( international trips) It is all part of the fun for me, dreaming about it & researching the areas. Right now I am trying to decide on whether to visit Utah in May or not.
I start that far out as well. I don't purchase my ticket at that time though because I start to watch the fares. Once I see a drop in the flight or hotel cost, I book at that time which is usually 6-9 months in advance. Recently, I found out that fares are often cheaper within a month of the departure date. Moving forward, I plan to buy my ticket within the 21 day mark of my departure date.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:03 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I think I'm rather unusual in that respect. I typically suddenly decide I want to go in a certain direction, and spend may be two weeks researching all the prospects, and then book the tickets abut six weeks out. So, from first inception of a destination area, Ill be on the plane within two months.

With freedom to go whenever I please, I can do that, because my travel doesn't have to be shoehorned into a job vacation.
I just returned from a 22-day trip to Southeast Asia, visiting Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Taipei, and Hong Kong. I started thinking about the trip on a Saturday in mid-January; spent Sunday checking airline and hotel sites to see if it would be possible to use FF miles and hotel points for stays; upon determining that it was feasible, asked my wife Sunday night if she wanted to go on this trip; and then finally on Monday, booked the trip. The trip commenced 29 days later on Tuesday, Feb 13th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel