U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 01:19 AM

4,373 posts, read 1,660,383 times

Advertisements

I think I'm rather unusual in that respect. I typically suddenly decide I want to go in a certain direction, and spend may be two weeks researching all the prospects, and then book the tickets abut six weeks out. So, from first inception of a destination area, Ill be on the plane within two months.

With freedom to go whenever I please, I can do that, because my travel doesn't have to be shoehorned into a job vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 05:47 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times
I start thinking about the planning perhaps a month in advance most of the time. But for some trips I decide as little as a week in advance.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:05 AM

39,372 posts, read 2,970,878 times
I start thinking about a year out & I like to have an idea of the trips 2 & 3 years down the road ( international trips) It is all part of the fun for me, dreaming about it & researching the areas. Right now I am trying to decide on whether to visit Utah in May or not.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:02 AM

5,269 posts, read 3,311,295 times
For me it all depends on what kind of trip, domestic vs. international, and how long am I going to be gone for, what time of year and am I redeeming frequent flyer miles or not. If I know I'm going during the "peak" season and want to do a specific tour that might sell out very quickly, like say hiking the historic Inca trail to Machu Picchu which is highly regulated, then I will plan far in advance.

And you bring up a great point about a "job vacation" where people only have x amount of weeks per year. If I was independently wealthy and didn't need to work for a living anymore, and can hop on and off a plane (or have my own plane!) at a moment's notice, then I would probably do very little to no planning if money and time were not an issue.

Old 03-04-2018, 08:47 AM

5,188 posts, read 13,347,698 times
As soon as we know where we might go, I start "planning"...which includes research if we're not familiar with the area. I start checking airfare (if flying is required) right away, but seldom book until about 60-45 day out. I book hotel as long as it's refundable.....no downside to doing that!

Old 03-04-2018, 09:11 AM

4,448 posts, read 7,188,883 times
We spitball ideas for major trips about 2 years out. Firm plans start about a year out (by necessity), getting housing sorted since we're too old and too picky to do hotels or hostels. Since these vacations tend to be 6~8 weeks long, it also takes that long to build up time off.

We also take a *LOT* of shorter vacations as I don't have scheduled work and my wife only works 3 days a week. Those can be as short as waking up and saying "lets go here" (driving distance) and rarely those are planned more than a month out. Helps that we have a conversion van/rolling bed so there's no need to look for lodging. In a pinch, I can park on any side street and sleep for the night.

So we're split personalities. Big trips get major planning, small/simple trips tend to happen within 1 month. There are a few in the middle, but they're mostly an exception.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:02 AM

2,901 posts, read 1,582,286 times
I become interested in certain countries or regions & spend months or years researching & reading about them. Before I retired I would have to have enough $$ saved plus I had to limit a trip to around a 2-3 weeks max. The last 10+ years of working I was interested in SE Asia & read all sorts of materials & watched documentaries to get info & motivation. Whenever a cheap fare appeared I would grab it & go, after 12 or so years I got tired of the heat & humidity, even as a winter break.

I'm retired now & have spent the last 2 years looking at places in Europe to visit or revisit using frequent flier miles I've accrued so I don't have to plan around fares or be back in a couple of weeks. I've been collecting info on Spain, Mexico & Portugal mostly & only need to book a flight there, a week would be plenty of time to organize my notes for any of them. I solo travel & typically don't do tours, I also prefer to stay in 1-2 places & "go native" than hit several places 2-3 days each. Spent a month in Ireland & Lisbon last year.

But I may consider doing a train "tour" of Spain for an extended period since I've never been there & it's so many different regions & cultures & the train may actually be easier than dealing with airports or cars.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:44 PM

7,302 posts, read 4,148,032 times
I start planning my vacations at least a year in advance, because itís the only way I can be sure of getting the time off. Not having to work around a job schedule is one of the things Iím looking forward to when I retire.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:06 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times
I start at least a year out sometimes even a little longer.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:24 PM

37,094 posts, read 45,594,679 times
We’re planning a big trip in May, so narrowed down the particulars around last November in order to receive the maximum discounts. Now everything is paid, and I am packing in my head to make sure we have everything we need.
A lot of list making will happen about a week before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or