U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 01:13 PM

999 posts, read 603,374 times

Advertisements

Cool topic. In fact, I just deliberately decided not to pick my crappy seat choice, because what have I got to lose? I either get that thing anyway, or I get put somewhere better? I'm rolling the dice. Flight is on 3/12. We'll see.

I usually pick my seat as long as there is an aisle somewhere, or if there is a window near the front. Otherwise, let it ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 08:34 AM

2,936 posts, read 1,604,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Cool topic. In fact, I just deliberately decided not to pick my crappy seat choice, because what have I got to lose? I either get that thing anyway, or I get put somewhere better? I'm rolling the dice. Flight is on 3/12. We'll see.

I usually pick my seat as long as there is an aisle somewhere, or if there is a window near the front. Otherwise, let it ride.
You can always ask at the gate if they can find a better seat for you, a reason to get there early to be at the top of the list. Some business travelers can be no shows.

I personally would never trade for a middle seat unless it was a parent/young child situation, I'm an ample enough size & it's potentially uncomfortable for everyone. I remember a 14 hr flight to Tokyo that I had selected a seat months before, always aisle, & after take off a woman asked if I would switch with her window seat behind me. They were a couple who were the last to board, probably last minute upgrades, & he was on the aisle. She looked shocked when I politely said no to being stuck in a window seat for 14 hours as if the thought of refusal had never even been a possibility to them. Plus she could've asked the person next to her to trade aisle for aisle seat. This wasn't a quick flight from CHI to HOU either, they needed to consider that.

Last edited by Hefe; 03-07-2018 at 08:51 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 09:35 AM

9,548 posts, read 13,497,984 times
It seems that a few hours before additional seats opened up. Nothing too great but it was 2 aisle seats next to eachother toward the back of the plane so I just booked them so we were @ least together somewhat.

I like knowing I have a seat in fear of getting bumped (not that you can't get bumped if you have one but I think knowing you're like 99% on the flight gives piece of mind)...

I was debating like do we wait & see if the preferred seats are given to us when we check in or do we just book what we can?

Has anyone ever gotten better seats by waiting?

Old 03-28-2018, 05:45 PM

810 posts, read 1,173,696 times
My husband and I just flew American to Mexico earlier this month. The flights were booked for us by my husband's workplace. Of the 4 flights, 2 did not have seats assigned. When I did the 24 hour check in, it gave the option to choose your seats, or have them assigned after doing the computer check-in. Of course, if I were to choose, the only seats shown as open were a couple bad ones, and some "preferred" seats, that of course were $25-$40 more (each). So I rolled the dice and after I clicked to finish the check-in, found that we were given preferred seats in the 6th row! Charging extra for seats in a better location, or with better leg room, is such a racket. I took a chance and got good seats anyway.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:14 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,533,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Used to be you could pick a decent seat if you bought in advance. Now they want to sell the better seats.

If it matters buy the better seats. If not, expect that you will be in the middle seat, unless it's a mostly empty flight and you get a chance to move.
Despite the nickel and diming it’s still a lot cheaper to fly nowadays than 30 years ago...

Old 04-12-2018, 06:29 PM

323 posts, read 118,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
That's so crazy they will separate a young child... unless they didn't know the child's age?
When you add the child, it does say minor, so it should have been noticed

Old 04-15-2018, 02:57 PM

656 posts, read 354,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Despite the nickel and diming itís still a lot cheaper to fly nowadays than 30 years ago...
And far less pleasant. To the point that given a choice between a 500-mile drive or an airline flight to the same place, I now choose the drive.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:59 PM

2,724 posts, read 1,561,561 times
Not having a confirmed seat at check-in, provided you followed the check in timing, does not increase your risk of bumping. Bumps are done in order of ticket price and airline status. A cheap ticket for a person with no status on an oversold flight is asking for a delay.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:35 PM

470 posts, read 508,649 times
We just came back from Orlando. We hit a storm on the way down there, so we missed our connection flight. We got 7 people, 4 kids under 7 years old. We got put into 2, 2, 2, and 1. Not AA's fault. But it sucks cuz I had all the seat assigned nicely when I bought it back in Nov.

On the side note, they don't do family boarding first? I thought they used to board people needs more time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or