U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 03:35 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times

Advertisements

I am flying tomorrow across the pond. My fiancé and I booked separately but on the same flight. We are toying with the idea of waiting to check in @ the airport vs checking in online. We are flying AA, partnered with Iberia. It is allowing us to pick seats but all that is left are crummy middle-aisle toward the back of the plane seats - or preferred or MCE seats that charge to book them.

My questions is a) if we wait to check in @ the airport is there a chance we can get a preferred or MCE seat @ no extra charge? b) Can the agent seat us together?

Does AA release these seats online @ no cost? & if so, how far prior to flight? I am trying to wait in hope we will get better seats than the 2 currently available. It's not 24-hrs to the flight yet though the online check-in IS available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 03:38 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
You can try. Since you're traveling together, some agents will take sympathy.. But.. It's also not required of them and may not be possible.. You're at their mercy. So.. Good luck.

I actually was traveling with a 9 year old when USAirways decided to change our seats, separating us.. I showed up at the counter with him and just said "Really?".. They put us together.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:42 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,436,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You can try. Since you're traveling together, some agents will take sympathy.. But.. It's also not required of them and may not be possible.. You're at their mercy. So.. Good luck.

I actually was traveling with a 9 year old when USAirways decided to change our seats, separating us.. I showed up at the counter with him and just said "Really?".. They put us together.
That's so crazy they will separate a young child... unless they didn't know the child's age?

Neither of us is 9 lol so if we are not together it's not the end of the world but I just want a decent seat if anything...

I fly a lot... just not loyal to any particular airlines, though perhaps I should be?

Old 03-05-2018, 04:37 PM

9,423 posts, read 7,071,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I fly a lot... just not loyal to any particular airlines, though perhaps I should be?
Meh.

There's people who swear up and down by the loyalty programs.. And you can get some perks through them. You likely wouldn't have to pay for the seats they want you to pay for.. But you have to fly quite a bit to qualify.. My feeling is.. They get their money one way or another. Either by you paying for upgrades or you paying extra to fly with them.. Or from your CC Issuer for the miles there.. So, they may not get it from you, but they get it.

I don't fly enough, but even if I did.. Price vs flight times would be far more important than loyalty to a specific airline and their perks.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:28 PM

7,678 posts, read 16,092,150 times
If the worst that can happen is that you draw seats that you could have picked anyways, there's no reason not to play seat roulette and not pick anything until forced to or the airline itself randomly assigns you seats from the remaining inventory. I've gotten assigned preferred seats on Delta a few times for free when I looked at the available seat map, saw only middle backs left, and left the computer 'spin the wheel' for me.

If you want to sit together, there's always the option of politely asking other passengers if they want to swap, provided you gracefully take 'no' for an answer and what you're offering is a better seat (not middle, further up) than or equal to the seat the passenger currently has.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:42 PM

2,591 posts, read 5,284,814 times
Used to be you could pick a decent seat if you bought in advance. Now they want to sell the better seats.

If it matters buy the better seats. If not, expect that you will be in the middle seat, unless it's a mostly empty flight and you get a chance to move.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:43 PM

81 posts, read 67,827 times
My first thought was to say show up and ask gate agent nicely. But on second thought, if the flight is full or nearly full, I would want a seat assignment in hand for fear of getting bumped. You can always ask if a seat change is available.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:14 AM

2,900 posts, read 1,582,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

Yes, of course.

You are racking up mileage (FF points) dispersed around several vendors. Focus on 1 that typically has the best fare deals from your area & be as loyal as possible without spending any extra, or perhaps just a few, dollars more for flights. An alternative tactic if there isn't much difference in fares is to choose the carrier with the best choices to destinations you want to visit, if you yearn to visit Tokyo or Bali then Frontier Air probably isn't the best choice. (But you may want to study airline alliances like One World to see if there isn't a good partnership.)

Then get that airline's affiliated credit card & charge everything on it & pay in full each month. There have been several intro card offerings with 60K points bonus in the last few weeks, that's a free ticket to Europe right there. SPG Amex & other hotel cards transfer points to airlines @ 1.25pt/dollar, a good deal. There are others, you can get a few, so can your partner, & work together.

It's a good hobby.

I don't know what "I fly a lot..." actually means, but if you really do you are throwing away currency by not using this system & you might not be in the position about seating you are in now if you achieve an elite level on your preferred airline.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:06 PM

3,660 posts, read 6,482,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post

It's a good hobby.
Agreed, and it can be very lucrative. We just went to Europe in Business Class on Delta for free at Christmas time.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:46 PM

15,063 posts, read 18,990,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

If you want to sit together, there's always the option of politely asking other passengers if they want to swap, provided you gracefully take 'no' for an answer and what you're offering is a better seat (not middle, further up) than or equal to the seat the passenger currently has.
This has worked several times for me and DH. I also make sure we kiss each other goodbye before we hit the seats. Passengers always offer to move - but I will ALWAYS agree to take their middle seat.

Sadly, you get what you pay for. You might ask the gate agents, but it looks like you want TWO higher priced seats. And, frankly, I don't think that's fair to others. Nor do I think the agents will do it.

Most importantly, enjoy your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or