U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 12:49 PM

8,047 posts, read 5,911,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm doing something similar in two months. Just adding Normandy to five days in Paris. Here's what we plan to do in Paris:
<delete excellent list>
I'd make sure that I saw the Louvre Museum and I'd make sure that I saw Sacre Couer in Mont Martre.
It costs a fortune to do it, but you might consider dinner at Maxim's. You only go around once in life, huh?
<>Get Rick Steve's book "Paris" and read it carefully. Wise use of the excellent Paris metro system will get you to all these sights. Use of the RER will get you to Versailles.
Get his book and even watch his videos. I saw half the things on your list and I had a whole summer; Because = 17. Spent a lot of time at Montmartre, Walked up to Sacre Coeur several times. We vacationed on the Cote d'Azure and visited Monaco. Be busy, don't sit around or try to go to all the shops.

"Now you have me wanting to go back!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 12:57 PM

1,098 posts, read 719,132 times
Watch your wallet. Paris may be the city of amour, but it's a capital city. Just be street smart.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:20 PM
DKM

2,833 posts, read 1,018,061 times
I thought the Eiffel Tower was a waste of time. Takes a big part of your day if its crowded and its not that amazing up there. Just as amazing to walk under it... If you want a view there are other places to get one.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:36 PM

3,213 posts, read 3,206,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Watch your wallet. Paris may be the city of amour, but it's a capital city. Just be street smart.
Second this. Coming from someone who learned the hard way.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:31 PM

2,069 posts, read 3,507,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Online French lessons will be a special benefit. I had two years in High school at that point and it was great to be able to talk to people. Understanding them was more difficult.
You don't need to know much. You can probably get by with little more than bonjour, bonsoir, au revoir, s'il vous plaît, and merci. Most Parisians know English (except the taxi drivers!). And if you are polite they will switch to it easily. But they consider it rude to start a conversation with anything other than bonjour or (after 6 pm) bonsoir, and they consider it especially rude to walk in to a store and not say anything to the salesperson.

When we were there we also dressed in what I would call "business casual" to go anywhere, even during the day. Not sure if that's still expected in Paris, but at the time one of the best ways to start off on the wrong foot was to wear jeans and sneakers.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:37 PM

7,688 posts, read 16,130,196 times
Jeans are fine in Paris these days as long as they appear to be newer, well-kept and fit properly.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:27 PM

163 posts, read 183,096 times
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. We were excited just reading them. Keep them coming; we are exploring all options.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:31 PM

7,688 posts, read 16,130,196 times
There are also plenty of day tours. When we get back to Paris, I'd love to spend a day with these guys:

https://www.fattiretours.com/paris/bike-tours/

Old 03-08-2018, 04:19 AM

10,531 posts, read 8,786,811 times
I can recommend a small, charming, and not unreasonably priced hotel:https://www.hotelduchampdemars.com/en.

That said, after or between visiting tourist spots, I suggest you walk off the beaten path a few blocks and enjoy the ambience and charm of the major residential districts...almost any of them.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:08 PM

163 posts, read 399,640 times
We used tiquets.com and bought advance tickets to the catacombs, Louvre and d'Orsay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or