U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 03:53 PM

1,528 posts, read 905,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Jeans are fine in Paris these days as long as they appear to be newer, well-kept and fit properly.
Plenty of droopy jeans with exposed underwear, ripped up jeans, old dirty jeans all over Paris, including in fashionable places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 08:45 PM

8,117 posts, read 8,624,878 times
Reebok sneakers seem to be popular now.

I would add a must see-the Paris Opera House. Take the tour. There are many "small" museums too. I loved the Eiffel Tower. It has a very interesting history and the elevators are marvelous. There is a special tour where you can see how the tower was built and how the elevators operate, but we didn't have time to take it. If you go to the Paris Opera House, stop off at the Galeries Lafayette, not just to shop, but to see an incredible building. For food, try the food market at Le Bon Marche. We bought our dinner there twice, and took it back to the hotel to eat, as well as snacks to take with us when we were out sightseeing, but there is also a counter where they serve meals. I found Fodors Paris to be very helpful. Beware, buildings and le metro are not as handicapped accessible as American buildings and transportation so there are lots of stairs to climb. Unless you are going for a concert, Versailles is skipable when you have limited time. Next trip, I want to go to Giverny, but I was there off-season when it was closed.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:48 AM

2,069 posts, read 3,503,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
For food, try the food market at Le Bon Marche. We bought our dinner there twice, and took it back to the hotel to eat, as well as snacks to take with us when we were out sightseeing, but there is also a counter where they serve meals.
Also, Angelina for genuine hot chocolate and a croque-monsieur. Yeah ... get the hot chocolate even if it is hot out. Trust me.

Quote:
Unless you are going for a concert, Versailles is skipable when you have limited time.
Actually I found Versailles fascinating. Walking through the château and around the grounds I had a bit of a revelation: now I truly understand why the french revolution happened. The place is really way over the top. But it is a bit out of the way and the visit takes up most of a day. We didn't make it out to Giverny.... next time we will!

Old 03-13-2018, 06:07 PM

8,117 posts, read 8,624,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Also, Angelina for genuine hot chocolate and a croque-monsieur. Yeah ... get the hot chocolate even if it is hot out. Trust me.

Actually I found Versailles fascinating. Walking through the château and around the grounds I had a bit of a revelation: now I truly understand why the french revolution happened. The place is really way over the top. But it is a bit out of the way and the visit takes up most of a day. We didn't make it out to Giverny.... next time we will!
Oh, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Versailles very much. There aren't that many furnishings there. Some of it is at Le Louvre. I wish that I had a chance to also visit Fountainbleu. If you are going during the summer, then check out the Son et Lumiere show at Versailles. I missed that too and I heard that tickets sell out very quickly. BTW, there are several different tours that you can take of Versailles (in English). My French/Spanish guide noted that there is a lot "bling" at Versailles.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:03 AM

27 posts, read 14,988 times
I went with my daughter in 2013. I planned the whole trip and activities. The metro system is very easy to use. We did a lot of the things already listed but I would add the Père Lachaise Cemetery to the list. Fascinating place to visit.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:04 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,227,260 times
I thin the best way to see any city is by walking, not being stuck in the tourist bus. Using public transportation is the next best way to understand and feel the city. I would not use organized tours but would look at the walking tours that are offered in pretty much any major city. I have never been to Paris but when I visited Berlin, I took a four hour walking tour and it was an amazing experience.

Also, instead of the hotel you might consider getting an apartment through Holiday Rentals or AirBnb. You can occasionally find something cheaper than the hotel and you will have a lot more room and a kitchen...

Old 03-17-2018, 08:02 AM

1,172 posts, read 478,509 times
Lots of great advice on this thread so far. The Paris Museum Pass is a must in particular.

Will enthusiastically second the Louvre, Musee d’Orsay, Orangerie, Notre Dame, Sainte Chapelle, Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower (and caveats about visiting), Invalides (Napoleon’s Tomb), and Sacre Coeur.

Also consider:

Picasso Museum
Pompidou Center
Conciergerie
Musee Carnavalet (if open after renovation when you go)
Rodin Museum
Musee Cluny
Pantheon
Place de Vosges
Place Vendome
Pere Lachaise Cemetery
Tuileries
Parc Monceau
Jardin du Luxembourg
Bois de Boulogne

Agree that the palace at Versailles makes a great day trip; for me, it’s a must. Would also strongly recommend a second day trip to Chartres — the cathedral there is the best I’ve ever seen.

I almost never do guided tours, though some folks actually prefer them. I think with some planning, it’s entirely possible to set one’s own itinerary, which is what I normally do.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:11 PM

2,907 posts, read 1,585,473 times
Yes... skip any bus tours, unless it's a day trip to Loire Valley chalets or something.

Paris rewards walking, perhaps a well reviewed english walking tour for day 1 or 2 to introduce the city or a walking tour concerned with some interest that you may have: literary, WW2, cuisine - street & haute, art, history, literature, the sewers or the graveyards....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or