U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 11:13 AM

6,605 posts, read 3,681,147 times

Advertisements

Looking at a map, the Baja California region looks like the closest ocean/beach area to me. I'm looking for a quiet spot to spend a week or two every year -- pleasant, safe, not too crazy but with sufficient development to be comfortable. I don't need a big condo or glitzy nightlife. I don't have big bucks to spend. I want to read, write, relax and absorb the place since I would probably go back every year. If I do anything touristy it might be fishing or snorkeling.

Are there still places like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 12:34 PM

3,665 posts, read 6,491,916 times
Its a bit further, but what about Costa Rica? The Guanacaste area could be perfect for this... I personally loved Tamarindo.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:31 PM

6,605 posts, read 3,681,147 times
I'll check it out -- thanks

Old 03-08-2018, 08:51 AM

15,092 posts, read 19,041,938 times
San Carlos. We've been there several times when we used to drive to Ajijic, Mexico. Clean, safe nice town, pretty good deep sea fishing and restaurants, lots of ex-pats and English speaking Mexicans. AND the drive from the border is a good road (at least from Nogales).

You might want to look at Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco). I haven't been in years, but it's also widely visited by Americans. AND drivable from the border. But I wouldprefer San Carlos.

Skip Mazatlan. Dirty, a little dangerous, in general - Yuck.

You might also consider some of the beach towns in Texas.

Do not drive at night in mexico, except VERY locally to return to your hotel from a restaurant.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:09 PM

4,448 posts, read 1,689,855 times
There are a lot of unspoiled beach towns in Nayarit, Mexico, a bit north of Puerto Vallarta. San Blas, further north, is lovely, and not developed for tourists, because there is a troublesome species of gnat that frequents the beaches. But it depends on the wind, and most of the time you can enjoy the beaches. It's popular for Mexican weekenders from Tepic and Guadalajara, but quiet during the week.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:13 PM

5,967 posts, read 2,903,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Looking at a map, the Baja California region looks like the closest ocean/beach area to me
Remember that the closest isn't always cheapest/easiest to get to. Often it's a nearby bigger hub airport somewhere close by in a bigger city that makes for an easy destination.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:32 PM

5,263 posts, read 3,027,962 times
Puerto Penasco/Rocky Point was a fishing village that became a pleasant place to visit. It is only 65 miles below the Arizona border. We went there several times on RV caravans. It is growing with time. It is about 9 years since we were last there. There were new condos on the east side of town and hotels and RV parks in town. It was a big deal when they paved Rodeo Drive, the tourist shopping area. There are some good restaurants there. There is a fish market area by the water. Beach is nice. Rocky point is at the north end of the Sea of Cortez.

San Carlos was a pleasant town on the way south. We stopped in passing. Guaymas is a port/commercial city a few miles south in case you need bigger city access.

We had a good time in Mazatlan, but that was quite a few years ago.

If you will be driving, you will need Mexican insurance, US insurance is not valid in Mexico.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:32 AM

2,694 posts, read 1,548,358 times
Did a road trip through much of Baja a few decades back. It was lovely everywhere, but except for the tip around Cabo, not highly developed. If you want a lively infrastructure built to cater to tourists, look elsewhere, but if you want quiet friendly villages, look there. Take Bahia de Los Angeles, for example. Still sleepy but with the loveliest bay you can imagine.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:43 AM

9,263 posts, read 10,922,285 times
I've only been to Cabo San Lucas. Not at all what you are looking for. A friend of mine spent some time in Loreto and La Paz and loved both places. Might work for you.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:32 PM

3,716 posts, read 3,129,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There are a lot of unspoiled beach towns in Nayarit, Mexico, a bit north of Puerto Vallarta. San Blas, further north, is lovely, and not developed for tourists, because there is a troublesome species of gnat that frequents the beaches. But it depends on the wind, and most of the time you can enjoy the beaches. It's popular for Mexican weekenders from Tepic and Guadalajara, but quiet during the week.
Troublesome is the kindest description of these bugs imaginable. They are piranha with wings. The waves were outstanding but the bugs won in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or