U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 07:19 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,758,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Whatever you do, please make sure you have reservations for places to stay.
Even over the Vt border, in NYS, when I lived there, I volunteered with a network of people offering private housing for stranded leaf peekers who had not done so for the western Vt and eastern NY area.

Obviously, nature recognizes no state lines and the foliage doesn't suddenly stop at the border
Definitely make reservations and make them early! Autumn is peak tourist season in New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 06:17 PM

21,958 posts, read 22,104,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
You can see that the peak time is quite different for various areas even within New England - and this is a rather coarse map and based on averages.
https://weather.com/maps/fall-foliage

Here is an example of a "real time" map that will help once you're in the area, but obviously not in time to book your trip:
https://newengland.com/seasons/fall/...l-foliage-map/
Very, very helpful. Thank you!

Old 03-14-2018, 06:22 PM

You have all been so helpful! I didn't expect this much and this detailed advise (although it is what I was hoping for). I'm going to print out the thread and start researching. I had really hoped to make my birthday (Sept 27) part of the trip. Now I'm concerned that that might be too early a start.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Define cold. It will be cool. There will be crisp autumn mornings. You'll need a sweater. Dress in layers so you can peel them off as the day goes on.
Well, I'm not really comfortable once the temperature gets below 55. I'm kind of a wimp that way. I do have a lot of warm clothing, though, so I may just have to dress as warm as I can. The temperatures here in Salt Lake City are still reasonably nice at that time of year. We're at a much higher elevation than New England, but also further south. Too bad I can't find some beautiful fall leaves and 80 temperatures to go along with them.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You have all been so helpful! I didn't expect this much and this detailed advise (although it is what I was hoping for). I'm going to print out the thread and start researching. I had really hoped to make my birthday (Sept 27) part of the trip. Now I'm concerned that that might be too early a start.
Definitely not too early to start. You'll ned to book hotels and plan a route out. Hotels book early....really early....especially on weekends.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:29 PM

3,603 posts, read 1,556,409 times
Quote:
My husband and I are both retired. We are thinking of taking an 8- to 10-day road trip through the New England States this Fall to celebrate my 70th birthday () and perhaps give the dreaded event a positive spin. We'd be flying from Salt Lake City into either Boston or some other New England city (but which one?). We've spent several days in Boston before, so we'll probably not spend any time there this time around. I do have a few questions, though, as I start to look into planning our trip. We hope to visit Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, but we're sure what route to take or what main sights to try to make sure we don't miss. My birthday is on September 27, so we could either start or end the trip at that time. I don't want to end up having the weather so cold that we can't enjoy ourselves (I hate being cold!), so that's one concern. On the other hand, I don't want to do the trip too early to be able to catch the autumn leaves at their peak. Anyway, any suggestions would be much appreciated!

When we visited by Sep 27, the leaves were lush green around the Kanc highway/Conway . So you could start the trip around Vermont and come down towards CT to catch all the colors. Temps were also around 60 , but it was pleasant.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm not really comfortable once the temperature gets below 55. I'm kind of a wimp that way. I do have a lot of warm clothing, though, so I may just have to dress as warm as I can. The temperatures here in Salt Lake City are still reasonably nice at that time of year. We're at a much higher elevation than New England, but also further south. Too bad I can't find some beautiful fall leaves and 80 temperatures to go along with them.
I'd be prepared for temps below 55 especially if you go to Northern VT, NH, or Maine. We have heat here! Don't worry....you won't freeze to death. You can always stop and buy a VT hoodie as a souvenir with a practical purpose.

You won't find a place that's 80 degrees with changing leaves. The trees need the cool overnights and warm days to change color. When the days are too hot - like 80 degrees - the leaves just change to dead brown...not very exciting. Unlike SLC, we have humidity out here. I've been to SLC and it's dry and wicked hot!

Old 03-14-2018, 07:35 PM

13,879 posts, read 7,391,112 times
Quote:
It's not. Extreme northern New England (near the Vermont/Canadian border) will have good color by September 27th. In most years, any storm around Columbus Day knocks all the leaves off the trees Columbus Day weekend in central Vermont. The intensity of the color varies from year to year depending on rainfall and temperature but the date for peak color at a certain latitude and altitude doesn't change much from year to year.

The only New England nonstop flights to SLC are out of Boston. That's a painful place to drive. If it were me, I'd probably pick Manchester, NH as my airport and head straight up I-93/I-91 to the Northeast Kingdom in Vermont where it should be pretty close to peak foliage on September 27th. Hartford, CT is the other option if you're planning a New England loop that includes CT and Rhode Island.

You won't have much color at all in southern New England that early.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:37 PM

8,116 posts, read 8,620,727 times
It's definitely going to be below 55 at night in the mountains at that time of year. Even in late August, it can be in the 40s in the mountains at night. I'd bring something heavier than a hoodie for the evenings.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:17 PM

19,830 posts, read 18,839,234 times
If you want 80 degrees in the fall, you won't get colorful foliage. It's the bright sunny days combined with cold nights that makes the leaves change color. By the time the temps drop, you'll be in a comfy motel or B&B anyway. Bring a light jacket and a sweater.

Pay attention to those posts about VT and NH--those are probably the best areas to see what you want to see. In MA, the foliage usually peaks about mid October but that can vary. Western Mass is gorgeous in fall--one place that was already mentioned is the Deerfield area, and Historic Deerfield is always fun in the fall. (A genuine historic main street with old houses to tour, a wonderful museum, gift shop with book store.)
This area is in the Connecticut River Valley, not far from southern Vermont.

There are some nice old covered bridges over the Connecticut River--the river that divides New Hampshire and Vermont. The Cornish-Windsor bridge is great. How about a shopping trip to the Vermont Country Store? https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/home You can buy everything from clothing to old fashioned candy--it's a fun place! Eat somewhere around there and you'll get real Vermont flavor (pun intended.)

Foliage is best when you get inland. Yes, there are nice things to see in Rhode Island, CT, and eastern MA, but probably you won't have time and it's a lot of driving when you are trying to have some fun and see foliage. I'd stick to VT, NH, and the Connecticut River Valley of MA. That's foliage land and the foliage will likely be there in late September, except for MA where it usually falls more toward the middle of October. Sometimes you have to follow it around a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or