U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 09:31 PM

9,405 posts, read 6,278,422 times

Advertisements

Fly into Providence, RI (usually less expensive and an easier drive than Boston). Then head up the coast to Acadia NP, ME. Don't miss Google GPD to Stephen King's home in Bangor.

From there, plan a leisurely series of stops on the way back to Providence. Then over to Newport and if time, on to Provincetown Then, back to airport and home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 01:53 AM

34,408 posts, read 41,518,327 times
You could rent an RV to do the trip,that would avoid the hassle of finding a hotel,camp grounds that time of year have plenty of vacancies.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:13 AM

21,968 posts, read 22,141,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Too bad I can't find some beautiful fall leaves and 80 temperatures to go along with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You won't find a place that's 80 degrees with changing leaves. The trees need the cool overnights and warm days to change color. When the days are too hot - like 80 degrees - the leaves just change to dead brown...not very exciting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If you want 80 degrees in the fall, you won't get colorful foliage.
I'm surprised that you all took me seriously! Trust me, I I live where the autumn leaves are pretty spectacular myself. I know how it works.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I'd be prepared for temps below 55 especially if you go to Northern VT, NH, or Maine. We have heat here! Don't worry....you won't freeze to death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It's definitely going to be below 55 at night in the mountains at that time of year. Even in late August, it can be in the 40s in the mountains at night.
And when I said I'm not comfortable when the temperatures drop below 55, I was definitely thinking of daytime temperatures. I don't care how cold it gets at night. I'll be indoors and curled up in bed. Of course, I will bring along a light coat.

Quote:
I've been to SLC and it's dry and wicked hot!
It can be in the summer, but a dry heat definitely is more comfortable that a humid heat. You must have come during the peak of the summer. It's snowing outside right now, and definitely not "wicked hot"!

Old 03-15-2018, 11:34 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,780,142 times
Quote:
I'm surprised that you all took me seriously! Trust me, I I live where the autumn leaves are pretty spectacular myself. I know how it works.
Many people don't know the science behind the leaves changing colors. Even people who live here.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:38 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,780,142 times
Quote:
It can be in the summer, but a dry heat definitely is more comfortable that a humid heat. You must have come during the peak of the summer. It's snowing outside right now, and definitely not "wicked hot"!
Yup, I attend a trade in SLC in July...who picked that time of year must be crazy! LOL It was 106 when my plane landed last year. Brutal!

Old 03-15-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Yup, I attend a trade in SLC in July...who picked that time of year must be crazy! LOL It was 106 when my plane landed last year. Brutal!
Wow! Yeah, I can see why you said it was "wicked hot." We get an average of 6 days each summer that are over 100, and you evidently hit one of them.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:56 PM

9,077 posts, read 8,355,728 times
https://www.visitnh.gov/foliage-tracker I think this is the site I've used before for the foliage tracker although it looks different than when I used it before.

Also, you can go onto google maps and enter "covered bridges" and whichever state you're looking at, and it will show all the covered bridges in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or