U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 04:15 PM

21,978 posts, read 22,168,365 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are both retired. We are thinking of taking an 8- to 10-day road trip through the New England States this Fall to celebrate my 70th birthday () and perhaps give the dreaded event a positive spin. We'd be flying from Salt Lake City into either Boston or some other New England city (but which one?). We've spent several days in Boston before, so we'll probably not spend any time there this time around. I do have a few questions, though, as I start to look into planning our trip. We hope to visit Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, but we're sure what route to take or what main sights to try to make sure we don't miss. My birthday is on September 27, so we could either start or end the trip at that time. I don't want to end up having the weather so cold that we can't enjoy ourselves (I hate being cold!), so that's one concern. On the other hand, I don't want to do the trip too early to be able to catch the autumn leaves at their peak. Anyway, any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 05:03 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,447,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
My husband and I are both retired. We are thinking of taking an 8- to 10-day road trip through the New England States this Fall to celebrate my 70th birthday () and perhaps give the dreaded event a positive spin. We'd be flying from Salt Lake City into either Boston or some other New England city (but which one?). We've spent several days in Boston before, so we'll probably not spend any time there this time around. I do have a few questions, though, as I start to look into planning our trip. We hope to visit Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, but we're sure what route to take or what main sights to try to make sure we don't miss. My birthday is on September 27, so we could either start or end the trip at that time. I don't want to end up having the weather so cold that we can't enjoy ourselves (I hate being cold!), so that's one concern. On the other hand, I don't want to do the trip too early to be able to catch the autumn leaves at their peak. Anyway, any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Not taking ticket $$ into account, flying into Hartford would let you use the I-91 corridor to hit CT, western MA, and VT. The east-west is harder...US 2 is an option, then you could hook back up with I-93 to go south and then west back to Hartford. Boston would be avoided.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Not taking ticket $$ into account, flying into Hartford would let you use the I-91 corridor to hit CT, western MA, and VT. The east-west is harder...US 2 is an option, then you could hook back up with I-93 to go south and then west back to Hartford. Boston would be avoided.
Thank you. I'll look into the difference in cost.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
We hope to visit Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut, but we're sure what route to take or what main sights to try to make sure we don't miss. My birthday is on September 27, so we could either start or end the trip at that time.
I hate it when I don't proofread my posts until it's too late. I obviously (I think) meant to say, "we're NOT sure what route to take."

We've never traveled to this part of the country before, so we'd really appreciate suggestions of what will help make our trip memorable.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:38 AM

1,191 posts, read 482,771 times
There’s actually a ton of stuff to do and see in New England. Other than avoiding Boston because you’ve already experienced it in detail, what are your interests and how long do you plan to be in the area? That will help with advice.

Incidentally, Boston is an excellent home base for day trips to surrounding towns. And there are lots of good choices. In more or less descending of order of interest, can recommend Salem, New Bedford, Concord, Plymouth, Lexington, Gloucester, Marblehead, Rockport, Ipswich, Lowell, Quincy, Worcester, Lincoln, Manchester by the Sea, and Newburyport. Quincy can be reached via Red Line subway, Lexington and Marblehead by MBTA buses, New Bedford via intercity bus service out of Boston South Station, and everything else via commuter rail.

Note also that many New England attractions outside of the major cities tend to be open seasonally, most reliably from Memorial Day to Columbus Day. And if you plan to do outside activities like hiking, that’s pretty much your only reliable window of opportunity.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Thereís actually a ton of stuff to do and see in New England. Other than avoiding Boston because youíve already experienced it in detail, what are your interests and how long do you plan to be in the area? That will help with advice.
The main reason for this trip is to see the autumn foliage. We get beautiful falls here in Salt Lake, but the colors are quite different, I understand, from what you see in New England. So, some scenic drives are a must. We'd love to see some old covered bridges along the way. My sister has mentioned that she loved Mystic, Connecticut, so I think we'll probably want to go there. Salem intrigues me because of its history, and I have always wanted to visit some little fishing villages (I'm thinking Maine might be best for this?) but there must be dozens, so I'd like to know the best ones. I really don't care if they're "touristy" as long as they're also authentic. We love good museums, but don't want to waste our time with mediocre ones.

Quote:
Incidentally, Boston is an excellent home base for day trips to surrounding towns. And there are lots of good choices. In more or less descending of order of interest, can recommend Salem, New Bedford, Concord, Plymouth, Lexington, Gloucester, Marblehead, Rockport, Ipswich, Lowell, Quincy, Worcester, Lincoln, Manchester by the Sea, and Newburyport. Quincy can be reached via Red Line subway, Lexington and Marblehead by MBTA buses, New Bedford via intercity bus service out of Boston South Station, and everything else via commuter rail.
Thanks! I'll Google these specifically.

Quote:
Note also that many New England attractions outside of the major cities tend to be open seasonally, most reliably from Memorial Day to Columbus Day. And if you plan to do outside activities like hiking, thatís pretty much your only reliable window of opportunity.
That is definitely good to know. My guess is that we'll probably fly out the day before my birthday (Sept.27) and stay in the area for 8 to 10 days. I hope that won't be rushing us too much, and I know there are things we'll have to skip. But I have two dogs and two cats and I don't feel like I can ask my son to house sit any longer than 10 days at the most.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:20 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,447,056 times
We love Montpelier VT and nearby Barre (fun granite quarry tour there).

Love the "hill towns" around Amherst, MA, and also the southwest corner of Mass. (Bash Bish Falls is a cool day hike).

Maine Seaside villages: Boothbay, Pemaquid, Bar Harbor, Rockport. Mass. villages: Rockport, Gloucester, Salem. Good museums there.

I'd still skip Boston and surrounding 'burbs, if you're really coming to see foliage.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:58 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,824,679 times
If it’s foliage your looking for, Check the foliage map to adjust your schedule.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
If itís foliage your looking for, Check the foliage map to adjust your schedule.
Is this something that is done every year? I know that the peak season can vary some from year to year in this part of the country, so I'm assuming that's also true for New England.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:15 PM

1,191 posts, read 482,771 times
Quote:
Is this something that is done every year? I know that the peak season can vary some from year to year in this part of the country, so I'm assuming that's also true for New England.
Yes, it does vary from year to year. Your best bet might be to do two things:

-see if there’s a year by year list of when peak color has been and where in New England and try to get a rough idea of the likely scenarios.

-set your itinerary up so it covers a decent amount of ground.

My guess is that you’ll want to spend some time in the northern half of Vermont or New Hampshire if you’re in New England during late September/early October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or