U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:01 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,945,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
My wife and I came back Sept 2017 on WOW (from Iceland to US), it wasn't the Worst I've been on but very much a stripped down flight. Easily the worst is that I'm 6'4" and the seats were closer together than any other flight I've ever been on.

Our "carry-on" bags can be worn like backpacks, so we were able to skirt the whole "pay for something that fits under the seat" aspect. Lots of Terrible reviews from people who paid for more leg room and didn't get it (there were 3~4 on my flight too, they were vocal).

All said and done, it wasn't worth the money saved.

Never flew them but checking air from EWR to CPH I did look at them until I googled and read all the horrible reviews. Sure maybe if I was taking a very short flight but not an overseas one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 08:50 AM

11,197 posts, read 22,436,484 times
Flew Wow to Iceland last fall for $200 round trip. Worked out fine, I think we paid an extra $40 each way for one carry-on between the two of us.

Last Month flew Wow to Amsterdam for $200 - ($200 to Amsterdam!?!?!) and while we had a delay on the way there we made it within a few hours of our original landing time. Again we paid $40 each way for one carry-on between my husband and I for the five day trip.

Travel light and eat before you go. You can find crazy deals. My friends flew them two weeks ago to Iceland for $300 roundtrip. I was looking at them this fall for a $300 to Barcelona and Paris that I found.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:10 PM

2,611 posts, read 5,320,484 times
> Many people are shocked to go TransAtlantic on a small single aisle jet

Well not me. Years ago Continental flew many transatlantic routes from Newark on 757s. There was a convenience factor (many more nonstop destinations) but the flights were more than usually uncomfortable.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:09 PM

2,749 posts, read 1,566,761 times
United still flies 757 internationally. About 8 years ago, they had a few econ+ seats with extraordinary legroom. Used to book those. Unfortunately, the Polaris cabin upgrade did away with those.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:30 PM

2,143 posts, read 3,569,310 times
My wife and I want to bite the bullet since Iceland air raised their prices for the dates we were looking at but the negative reviews are so overwhelming. We'd have one checked in and two carry on so baggage isn't an issue, but it just seems like if everything goes to hell, you're screwed.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:25 AM

4,435 posts, read 1,664,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Does anyone have any experience with WOW Air out of Iceland? I’ll be flying out of St. Louis to Berlin in May for $1200 with a checked bag. I am away that it’s a LCC so the base price does it include the things a regular airline would. I figure that if I’m already going to have to have a stop I might as well save the money.

The other options would be to fly United with a stop in Newark or to fly Air Canada, but both of their fairs are over $,2000.
$1200 seems a little high for WOW air.
I also live in the West County area of MO. (Used to live in Manchester, MO)

And one of the trick that you may or may not be aware of is to search your flight fares on Google flights - once the results are displayed, pick that suits you and click "track prices" - and then keep an eye on it. You may get a better price in a few days.

Also check the wait time between the connecting flights in Iceland, specially on the return wow air line. Sometimes it's upto 30 hours in Icelamd before you catch the plane back to St. Louis - and obviously they don't provide you a hotel.

Lambert doesn't have too many direct international flights and that's a shame.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:36 PM

9,917 posts, read 10,174,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Lambert doesn't have too many direct international flights and that's a shame.
This Wow Airlines flight that begins on May 18th is only the second international flight from Lambert besides Frontier to Cancun.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:16 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,574,466 times
I used WOW twice, and leave may 19 for a third flight.St Louis to Amsterdam.
Got the ticket today for next weekend, very short notice, and it is 558 dollar with a suitcase one way. Make sure you book your luggage in advance, it is half the price.
IMHO, it is worth the money. You can buy a sandwich for under 10 bucks, coffee like 3 dollar. Just buy water at the airport.

The airport in Iceland is not very big, they are expanding. What I really love is, you enter the Schengen zone, Europe. And they have many custom agents. Like 8. In Amsterdam it is often 2, and the lines can be very long. Same going back home. Nu customs in Amsterdam, what can be a real pain.

For the 700 plus dollar less you pay, I can deal with the no TV in the seat and so on. Bring a book, what I do.
Already bought my next ticket in July. Leaving from Cincinnati, 5 weeks Netherlands. Ticket is 380 bucks.......

If you got money, it might not be your thing, if you like to use your money for other stuff, it is great.

Last edited by corydon; 05-10-2018 at 07:24 PM..

Old 10-16-2018, 11:59 AM

1,169 posts, read 539,800 times
https://www.stltoday.com/business/lo...b36362b34.html

WOW will end flights from Iceland to St. Louis in January. It sounds like the entire company isn’t doing well and flights to other similarly medium sized markets might be at risk.

By the way, I ended up flying out of ORD on LOT Polish Airlines. It was still half the price of United or Lufthansa. My major complaint with them was that their flights depart much later, but I’m sure that saves on landing fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel