U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 01:20 PM

21,323 posts, read 21,900,953 times

Advertisements

I need my device no further than 12" from my face at all times, if I'm standing at the Grand Canyon or in the Sistene Chapel, I can quickly glance over the top to see what all the oooohing and ahhhhing is about before I get back to Candy Crunch or catch up to work emails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 02:48 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,471,366 times
We were in Cuba for 8 days last summer with no cell phone and no internet. We could still use the map offline, so that helped us be more efficient and track our route, but that was all. It was really cool but I DID miss being able to research restaurants and read reviews of things we happened upon (as much as you can do that in Cuba - so much is not on the internet). Funny thing is, nobody knew if we even made it there until our feet hit the ground back in Houston. Family only had an email address of a guy here who had an email address of a guy in Cuba.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:50 PM

6,316 posts, read 3,579,899 times
I'm so old I can remember coming home from school to an empty house and picking up the phone to ask the operator where my mom was and when she would be coming home. No kidding. Cell phone can't do much better than that.

Presently I'm in Mexico for six weeks without a phone. I don't need it. Haven't had to borrow anyone else's either and doubt that I will.

I have to admit that I'm grateful for my laptop and find it a wonderful vacation assistant though. I appreciate not having a phone ringing in my vacation space. (Secretly I feel I have lived long enough and served long enough not to have to answer a phone unless I want to.)

Old 03-13-2018, 04:26 PM

4,428 posts, read 1,679,997 times
Finding and researching Restaurants? Good lord, I walk down the street until I find one. Or walk up to a stranger and ask for a suggestion nearby.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:14 PM

9,809 posts, read 5,020,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Finding and researching Restaurants? Good lord, I walk down the street until I find one. Or walk up to a stranger and ask for a suggestion nearby.
A stranger isn't going to be able to dictate the menu to me. With my phone, I can look up the menu and ensure that there's something I can eat with my dietary restrictions. For that matter, in many areas, I can use an app that is designed to find restaurants that fit my restrictions. I can also look up reviews and not have to take the word of just one person.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:36 PM

13,170 posts, read 20,800,491 times
My phone doesn't rule my non-vacation days. It's a tool that makes things easier, no more no less, no matter where in the world I find myself. I don't need a vacation from it.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:36 PM

7,186 posts, read 11,232,837 times
We had T Mobile for awhile and that was just like having a vacation from the phone as getting a signal in the areas we live and travel in was more of a treat than reality!

Old 03-13-2018, 07:11 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,751,817 times
My trips to Europe I left my flip-phone (late adopter) at home (18 to 21 days), but bring an ATT calling card for making calls if needed. I prefer to travel as light as possible. I also used the hotels complimentary PC connection to email my trip progress / status to family. On domestic vacation trips I always take my phone but if on vacation only use it as necessary for the trip. I like going dark when recharging (myself).

Old 03-13-2018, 07:29 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,897,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My phone doesn't rule my non-vacation days. It's a tool that makes things easier, no more no less, no matter where in the world I find myself. I don't need a vacation from it.
This. The reasons being brought up to advocate not needing a phone are valid but they don't mean it is more enjoyable, easier, and safer with one.

Just because someone used to find their way back to their hotel without the phone doesn't mean having a phone in case you get lost isn't a more ideal situation. I've been traveling for a long time as well and smart phones have only been part of the deal for the past few years, traveling was certainly possible beforehand but a phone is great tool to have to make everything easier.

Walking until you find a restaurant works, but so does having a map of areas with more restaurants near each other, the best street food, places where the best local restaurants are, etc. With phone can also find bus routes, locations of train stations or tourist sites, use as a camera, flashlight, video games, etc.

Traveling possible without a phone? Sure! Better? Nope. When the locals around you have cell phones and you don't you're just being silly.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:41 PM

7,683 posts, read 16,109,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Before there was GPS, people could find their way back to their hotel by dead reckoning. I've done it hundreds of times. You had to pay attention to how you got where you are.
I'm actually pretty good at dead reckoning navigation when need be. But find there to be a huge stress reduction with GPS that is more detailed than my road atlas, alerts me to one way streets, and can easily keep me off roadways and out of lanes that have restrictions like 'bus lane only' or 'local permit only' or to not get into the far left lane that will shortly dump you onto a toll bridge you don't want ot be on. Yes, I can muddle my way through many international traffic signs, and I know that not every GPS map set is 100% reliable, but I remember vacations and driving in unfamiliar areas pre-GPS and I do appreciate the modern technology as a useful tool in areas where it might get confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel