Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 09:13 AM

16,371 posts, read 12,367,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
When the wife and I travel, the phone is shut off at home before we leave and isn't turned on again until we are back at the home airport and use it to call a taxi. Never, ever have I turned it on during a vacation. Our home phone goes to an answering machine at all times and our cell phones are used only if one of us go somewhere alone otherwise they are shut off. Someday we may be important enough that the world has to be in constant touch with us but it hasn't happened in 75 years so I doubt that it will ever happen.
Here's the disconnect ... some people seem to think that traveling with a phone means that we're allowing the world the be in constant touch with us. Just because I have and use my phone on vacation doesn't mean that I have to answer calls or answer all emails. Heck, I can put my phone on do not disturb and not allow any calls to come in if I so choose. Or I can just look at the caller ID and decide "I'm not interested in talking to you!" I only get the emails if I actually look at them.

I do like for people to be able to reach me in case of an emergency. I was on vacation once when my father was admitted into the hospital. My best friend's home was broken into while she was gone. I wouldn't have wanted a delay in getting that sort of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 10:06 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,121,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Absolute nonsense. Everyone who owns a smart phone isn't one of those people who can't walk down the street, eat at a restaurant, or stand in line without their phone out constantly absorbing social media. Think about it... the people who own smart phones but aren't constantly focused on them, would you even know they own one? Nope.

I have a smartphone but don't do Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. whatever. Sure I email and text but I don't even have cell service so only check those when I have wifi back in the apartment. The only time I probably look absorbed in my cell phone is on long bus rides when I play video games to pass time.
If you are middle aged or younger keep this up and guaranteed you will be a two-legged antique in the era in which you will die.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:31 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,304,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Could anybody tolerate a vacation from their phone or internet? How long could you go without being connected?

A couple years ago I took the Black Sea ferry from Odessa to Batumi, three days and nights, and I never heard a ring tone. No connections at all. People had to try to remember how to talk to each other. I think larger cruise lines have connections, but this was just a Ro-ro truck ferry, less than 100 passengers.

If you wanted to be in a place for a few days where there are actually other people and services (meals, bed, etc.) but no connections, what options are there?
No I would be fired.

I have a contract with my job that I need to be available for clients 24/7 so no. Not possible. Can't do it.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:24 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,159,772 times
The attitude about phones, and frankly, pretty much anything anymore, seems to be “I don’t like this, therefore it shouldn’t exist!”

I’ve seen it over writing checks, libraries, suburbs.

I don’t understand the self righteousness of posters who think its their way only.

I’m posting this from my iPhone. I mod from my iPhone. I take photos on it, I play games on it, I listen to English history documentaries while I sew on it, I do genealogy on it. And I carry it at all times, in my purse, in a lovely little pocket made just for that purpose.

I get my antenna tv listings on it and If I could get program the thing to work my tv, I’d do that, too. Not because it’s an addiction, but because I could ditch all the remotes. Clutter.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:28 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,801,517 times
Quote:
Could anybody tolerate a vacation from their phone or internet? How long could you go without being connected?
I did two weeks in Peru without my phone. Didn't need it. Heck, I didn't bother to bring it since for 10 of the days I'd be in the jungle without any signal anyway, so why bother?

Old 03-14-2018, 02:56 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,974,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
... and some just see everything in black and white. (dependent and glued to the phone vs not using it at all, ever).
Interesting how many people tend to over-simplify stimuli in our social worlds - seeing things that could be conceptualized as complex and nuanced, as simple and categorical...

... and definitely superior to the rest of us, the dumb phone addicts ...
And I'm betting those who are bashing smartphone users are glued to their computers all day and night (and obviously glued to City-Data, too)....

Old 03-14-2018, 05:08 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,515,956 times
Quote:
that travelers became dependent on an in-depth source, and then were afraid to deviate from it and turn themselves loose to find their own way through foreign lands.
This incorrect assumption just keeps on getting repeated over and over. People who take use smart phones when they travel don't need to be:
1. Dependent on the phones
2. Afraid to deviate
3. Incapable of turning themselves loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
If you are middle aged or younger keep this up and guaranteed you will be a two-legged antique in the era in which you will die.
Just about everyone who dies at a natural age is a two legged antique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
How can you plan a road trip and NEVER look at a map? Just Make Left Here. I don't understand it.
The GPS device has a map, so they are in fact looking at a map.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:31 PM

4,501 posts, read 5,015,034 times
I do have a smartphone (and an old phone too, it's actually older than a flip phone) but anyway, I bought the smartphone for the google map feature. I have never texted on it and I've used the phone for 4 calls since last Oct when I bought it. One of the calls was from my carrier wondering if the phone was working because I hadn't used it. They are almost a necessity these days I will admit. But I'm old and grumpy and I still don't like them.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:58 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,178,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This incorrect assumption just keeps on getting repeated over and over. People who take use smart phones when they travel don't need to be:
1. Dependent on the phones
2. Afraid to deviate
3. Incapable of turning themselves loose

Of course, they don't NEED to be any of those things. But, to varying degrees, many are, some to the point where their enjoyment is impacted by things like slow Wifi. And that generalization is not an incorrect assumption.

I've seen negative reviews online for hotels where the Wifi is slow. Come on.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:08 PM

16,371 posts, read 12,367,030 times
You know, the issue isn't that I travel with my phone. The issue is that I'm not the type of traveler to "fly by the seat of my pants" and figure things out as I go along using a combination of intuition and spidey senses.

I am a researcher and a planner. That's part of my process, and frankly the research is part of the enjoyment of a vacation for me. I'm going to Manhattan in a couple weeks for a quick overnight trip. I've been a number of times before, but I've spent hours researching and planning what I'll be doing during that very brief visit. I've created maps and lists and schedules and have various etickets available on my phone (or will once the trip approaches). My phone is simply the tool for ensuring that I have all the information readily available to me. If something doesn't go as planned, I want to be able to do the same level of research on the spot to reach informed decisions. If it were 30 years ago and the technology not available, I'd be the person traveling with notebooks and guidebooks. Now I can fit it all in my pocket.

It's not about being addicted to a device. It's simply differences in travel styles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel