U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 07:29 PM

10,842 posts, read 19,416,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There are so many stores and restaurants everywhere that aren't chains. If you seek them out instead of heading straight for a Wal-Mart or McDonalds, you might be pleasantly surprised.
This. The suburbs are generally the same everywhere. Go into the more urban areas and you will more than likely have more local choices than chains.

I would say that different parts of the USA are VERY different from each other. Portland, Maine is vastly different from Albuquerque, New Mexico. San Francisco, California is vastly different from Tulsa, Oklahoma. Montana is different from Florida you can go on and on.

Everybody speaks English and it's all the same country and American is relatively young and doesn't have the history that Europe does, but America is huge geographically and cultures, architecture, accents, topography, political alignment, etc all vary quite a bit across the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 PM

39,372 posts, read 2,970,878 times
They are all very different, yet they mostly all have the same stores & chain restaurants etc. But the geography is different, different trees & shrubs, weather varies greatly as does the local foods ( not a chain).

Old 03-19-2018, 07:38 PM

1,509 posts, read 678,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You mention only cities in USA.

There is minimal cultural differences between regions of USA. Especially the bigger cities. (tho there are slight differences in the way people act / interact.)

Topography / climate / occupations / recreation will vary as it does throughout the rest of the world.

When I lived in Spain, cultural and acceptance was very different in the different ethnic regions (and countries too). (Much hatred due to generations of conflict / kingdoms / clans... Generally it is not so in USA (yet)).
I agree... but it would've been interesting to have lived, say, in 1850.... or even 1900... I imagine the cultural differences between US states were much greater then, because travel was difficult and people usually lived out their lives in the same place they were born... unless they were e.g. sailors or fortune-hunters.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:40 PM

1,199 posts, read 435,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioCANTERO11 View Post
You are right, but I want to know if it “feels like you are in a different country”.
Yes Spain is diverse, how ever Madrid and Barcelona is like a 4 hour drive and LA and NYV is like a 6 hour flight if that makes sense.
No..that LA-NY 'commute' is a technicality! There is so much more that makes us alike and much less that makes us different than such a distance would imply in Europe.

Remember, we speak the same language and share a common history.
The history of California is as much the history of the U.S., as is the history of Texas or Boston.

I think the greatest, most obvious contrasts occur at the geographical level because American regions are tremendously physically diverse, which of course will shape the individual cultural variances, like food, industry, etc. But even tho Southeast Florida is climatically very singular, Palm Beach County is often referred to as the fifth borough of New York City as the Northeast sends its retirees south!

We are a nation of people who move very frequently, live and die by the automobile, are fiercely independent and optimistic to the point of stupidity. Everywhere.

Our birth is recent, our history short, well documented, and forged in fire.

We share a very common culture woven and reinforced by television.

We are a very young and modern country, and we enjoy the best and suffer the worst of what that entails.

So no two cities in different European countries will be as familiar to each other as any two cities in the USA.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:19 PM
KCZ

1,668 posts, read 968,071 times
There are a lot of differences across the US, but they aren't generally based on state lines. The differences are due to climate, culture, urban vs rural, racial/ethnic demographics, income level, and a myriad of other things that aren't delimited by state boundaries.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:34 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,756,105 times
America has become more homogenized, nationally and regionally, than many countries in Europe. I think this has to do with immigration, the expansive settlement of the frontier and its unity as a single nation, territorially, not withstanding the Civil War to the contrary. America has been invaded, twice by the British, but it developed as a nations state a lot more smoothly than many many European countries, with few outside threats, and no real changes in "ownership", or repeated invasions by foreign powers. It was unified within less than 200 years after its earliest colonial settlement.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:47 AM

7,721 posts, read 9,021,232 times
Quote:
I myself am from Spain, Europe. For me every country in Europe feels different. Although there are simllarities in certain regions like Southern Europe is similar, then UK/ Iteland, Nordics, Eastern etc.

I been to NYC. My questions is does the West Coast feel totally different than East Coast.

Obviously the vibe/ demographics are different,

The distance may be larger but you still in the same country.
Is LA vs NYC way different compared to let’s say Madrid to Lisbon?

How different is LA from NYC compared to London vs Berlin.
Or NYC vs Miami compared to London vs Barcelona
Or Chicago vs Houston compared to Paris vs Rome
You're talking about different countries versus different states. There are differences in the USA but it's all the same country. You can't compare the two.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:06 AM

13,874 posts, read 7,386,288 times
Uncontrolled suburban sprawl in the high growth regions is very homogeneous. Car-centric Anywhere, USA. All the same chain restaurants, big box stores, and franchises. It’s safe. It’s convenient. It’s middle class bland.

Urban and rural places are far more distinctive. Boston is different from NYC is different from Philly is different from DC is different from LA is different from SFO is different from SFO. Santa Fe is strikingly different from Burlington Vermont. Most coastal places have their older housing stock and sense of local history.

My business travel pattern puts me in Denver most weeks this year. I’m not downtown or in the older part of the city. If I can’t see the mountains, I could be in Cary, NC, Orange County, the north Atlanta burbs, Nashville burbs, or any other high growth sprawl. I live in a coastal New England harbor village. I have the Anywhere USA big box store strip 10 minutes away with all the convenience of it but it’s not like that 3 miles away.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:12 AM

12,265 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Quote:
You are right, but I want to know if it “feels like you are in a different country”.
Yes Spain is diverse, how ever Madrid and Barcelona is like a 4 hour drive and LA and NYV is like a 6 hour flight if that makes sense.
The distance is really a non-factor with today's technology - internet, video, etc. The US is also highly nomadic - every day thousands of Americans move from on state to another and adapt rather quickly. A hundred years ago that was not really the case.

Another thing I noticed is you said you only visited NYC which is NOT representative of the US at all. New York City is unique, one of a kind, the "Big Apple" - being this massive mixed nationality metropolis. NYC doesn't have anything in common with upstate NY a couple hours drive away, not to mention the rest of the country.

So again I say the difference are not unlike your differences in Spain between Madrid and Barcelona, rather than a comparison between different Euro countries.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 AM

20,084 posts, read 11,142,800 times
There are some more subtle cultural differences, which sometimes erupt in quickly escalating internet forum debates.

For instance, people in the South generally still practice face-to-face genteelisms:

Men are commonly addressed as "sir," women commonly addressed as "ma'am."

Men will step back to allow a woman to enter or leave an elevator first, or open a door for her. And women expect them to do so.

A waitress might call you "hon" or "sugar," A waiter might call you "darling."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or