U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 07:13 AM

12 posts, read 7,642 times

Advertisements

I myself am from Spain, Europe. For me every country in Europe feels different. Although there are simllarities in certain regions like Southern Europe is similar, then UK/ Iteland, Nordics, Eastern etc.

I been to NYC. My questions is does the West Coast feel totally different than East Coast.

Obviously the vibe/ demographics are different,

The distance may be larger but you still in the same country.
Is LA vs NYC way different compared to let’s say Madrid to Lisbon?

How different is LA from NYC compared to London vs Berlin.
Or NYC vs Miami compared to London vs Barcelona
Or Chicago vs Houston compared to Paris vs Rome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 07:38 AM

12,292 posts, read 18,417,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioCANTERO11 View Post
I myself am from Spain, Europe. For me every country in Europe feels different. Although there are simllarities in certain regions like Southern Europe is similar, then UK/ Iteland, Nordics, Eastern etc.

I been to NYC. My questions is does the West Coast feel totally different than East Coast.

Obviously the vibe/ demographics are different,

The distance may be larger but you still in the same country.
Is LA vs NYC way different compared to let’s say Madrid to Lisbon?

You are comparing different COUNTRIES - with different languages, different history, different laws, different leaders, different political systems, etc.
Obviously the individual states of the US are part of the same country.

So there really is no comparison. I mean, you are on the right track actually - each state has a level of independence and there are different accents, cultural differences, and history. But that fact that they are still part of the same country makes it difficult to bring it into the same comparison points as you are asking.
A better question or comparison is Spain - which is also separated into separate districts. Andulusia vs. Catalonia vs. Castille. Same as that.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:00 AM

9,809 posts, read 5,016,856 times
Are you talking about the culture? The environment/geological features? The climate?

Old 03-19-2018, 10:10 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,090,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioCANTERO11 View Post

Even within states there's huge differences. New York City vs Buffalo is like two different worlds. Boston to Nashua, NH is about 30 miles, but the areas are completely and totally different. New York and LA are 3000 miles apart, they might as well be different countries.

But, they're all the same as well. English is going to be the primary language.. You drive on the right side of the road. The dollar is the standard currency.

There's areas between states that aren't all that different. You get up into the mountain areas.. Western NC, Northwest SC and Southeast Tennessee are all quite similar.

Savannah and Charleston areas along the coast.. Each unique in their own way, but not all that different from each other.

You get into the midwest.. Agriculture rules. Places like Iowa, it's corn as far as the eye can see.. And if you go at the right time, Corn festivals in every town.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,601 posts, read 39,974,527 times
You mention only cities in USA.

There is minimal cultural differences between regions of USA. Especially the bigger cities. (tho there are slight differences in the way people act / interact.)

Topography / climate / occupations / recreation will vary as it does throughout the rest of the world.

When I lived in Spain, cultural and acceptance was very different in the different ethnic regions (and countries too). (Much hatred due to generations of conflict / kingdoms / clans... Generally it is not so in USA (yet)).

Old 03-19-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You are comparing different COUNTRIES - with different languages, different history, different laws, different leaders, different political systems, etc.
Obviously the individual states of the US are part of the same country.

So there really is no comparison. I mean, you are on the right track actually - each state has a level of independence and there are different accents, cultural differences, and history. But that fact that they are still part of the same country makes it difficult to bring it into the same comparison points as you are asking.
A better question or comparison is Spain - which is also separated into separate districts. Andulusia vs. Catalonia vs. Castille. Same as that.
You are right, but I want to know if it “feels like you are in a different country”.
Yes Spain is diverse, how ever Madrid and Barcelona is like a 4 hour drive and LA and NYV is like a 6 hour flight if that makes sense.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Are you talking about the culture? The environment/geological features? The climate?
More the culture/ vibe.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:13 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,589,162 times
There are regional differences but the effect of one federal government & a unifying language smooths over most major differences. Culture in the cities is different than rural areas otherwise it's mostly immigration patterns & age.

There are some geographic differences: Northeast - older, more walkable cities with distinct downtowns, more immigrants; South - slower, more conservative & traditional, contains the most poor areas & large African American areas; West- sparsely populated, independent people, heavy hispanic influences & spanish speaking populations; West Coast - more densely populated, more liberal minded; latin & asian influences; cities in the west & west coast were built for vehicles & are spread out more & newer than other parts; Midwest is agricultural & conservative... the "typical" America one sees in media, at least in the past.

These are huge generalizations & there are lots of exceptions to what I described. Miami, New York City, Savannah, New Orleans, Sante Fe NM, San Francisco are very singular places with distinct cultural differences to much of the country. Whether they are as different from each other as Galicia - Andulusia - Catalonia ... I don't know, not as different as Swedes & Sicilians yet.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:41 PM

1,412 posts, read 2,784,601 times
When I return from Europe, the thing that always strikes me is the sameness of the US, namely the same chain stores, restaurants, strip malls etc. While there are some differences regionally or architecturally, big business is in every state and it creates a cultural wasteland. Every Wal-Mart looks exactly the same in each state.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:46 PM

6,504 posts, read 4,082,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
When I return from Europe, the thing that always strikes me is the sameness of the US, namely the same chain stores, restaurants, strip malls etc. While there are some differences regionally or architecturally, big business is in every state and it creates a cultural wasteland. Every Wal-Mart looks exactly the same in each state.
There are so many stores and restaurants everywhere that aren't chains. If you seek them out instead of heading straight for a Wal-Mart or McDonalds, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or