U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 11:58 AM

10,171 posts, read 7,086,027 times

Advertisements

1mg of Xanax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 12:26 PM

14,188 posts, read 6,434,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoOpUpUp View Post
Hi guys.. 26 yo male New Yorker here.
I used to travel all over the world when I was a kid.
I used to laugh at turbulunces and not obsess over the slightest movement in the plane.
But ever since my last long flight from Japan to New York 15 years ago (12 hours), I have been DEATHLY afraid of flying to the point where I avoid it at all costs.
There was a massive turbulence when I flew from Japan to NY. I really thought the plane was going to crash. I was basically asking my mom (who was sitting right next to me) if I'd go to heaven if the plane crashes.. Needless to say I was very traumatized.
I was 11 years old at the time.
Last time I flew was to upstate NY, which was just an hour flight. This was back in 2011.
I had a random grandmother holding my hand the entire flight, consoling me from having a nervous breakdown on the plane lol.
I was also taking 0.25g of xanax during that flight, which didn't help at all.

I haven't flown since then. I've been super depressed lately because I LOVE traveling - or at least I used to. But I can't travel anywhere fun outside of NY without flying. I want to be able to go to Ireland.. Mexico.. Italy.. Switzerland.. Australia.. Bali..
There's so many places I want to visit. I can't believe I wasted 7 years away without traveling anywhere.
I REALLY want to overcome this fear but I feel like at this rate, the only way how is to have someone tranquilize me on the plane.. like sedate me with anesthesia or something lol
I can almost equate flying to a death sentence.. Like my brain automatically thinks that whatever plane I'm going to be on is going to crash..
I think I subconsciously relate flying to dying..

A gamechanger would be alcohol. Last time I flew I wasn't of legal age to drink (and I never drank alcohol).
That might change everything.. Cause alcohol usually makes me really calm.

Does anyone have any tips for me?
Get stronger drugs. I too have a HUGE fear of flying. I have been known to silently cry on flights. I get drugs, strong enough to knock me out. That's really my only solution.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:46 PM

10,171 posts, read 7,086,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Get stronger drugs. I too have a HUGE fear of flying. I have been known to silently cry on flights. I get drugs, strong enough to knock me out. That's really my only solution.
Well there is exposure therapy...but drugs are a good option.

I am afraid of flying. I like to be connected to the ground in the first place, but since a really bad landing once, I have been afraid of every little bump. But I still fly a lot. Well a fair amount. 6 or 8 times a year.

I use Xanax. I have a script for daily use, as needed. But for flying I pre-medicate with a small dose. Just enough so I don't get anxious before getting on the plane, not so much that I am dragging. No need to psych yourself up. Then as soon as I am in my seat I take my personal max which is 1 mg (sometimes I take .75mg). By the time we are taxing, the Xanax has kicked in.

I still have my moments so I practice deep breathing, mindfulness, etc.

I also tell myself that it is 100% out of my control so I might as well sit back and not try to keep the plane in the sky with my mind power

I know I cant sleep on a plane, even with X, so I preload my ipad with dumb sitcoms that can keep my attention (better then anything that requires me to think).

Of course, because I am used to Xanax, I know how to take it for my body and my doctor has advised me. So I think you would need to go through a doctor and make a plan that suits you.

In my experience, if Xanax doesn't work, you didn't take enough for your level of anxiety.

Disclaimer: This is NOT medical advice. Use Xanax with care and under the supervision of a physician. I am just sharing what works for me.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:05 PM

1,806 posts, read 808,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
A plane is really not that different from a ship. Both operate in fluids (water and air are both considered fluids). One floats on a fluid via buoyancy and the other uses forward motion to generate lift. If the engines quit running, civilian airliners are designed to use residual forward motion to glide down. The bottomline is: you're not in a rock floating through space and caught by a planet's gravity. You're in a fluid and that fluid keeps you afloat.

Oh and turbulence never causes crashes. It just throws people around inside the plane, so stay belted in at all times. Planes are designed to be tossed around in turbulent air.
There are people who are scared of ships too.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:12 PM

11,714 posts, read 6,298,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoOpUpUp View Post
Hi guys.. 26 yo male New Yorker here.
I used to travel all over the world when I was a kid.
I used to laugh at turbulunces and not obsess over the slightest movement in the plane.
But ever since my last long flight from Japan to New York 15 years ago (12 hours), I have been DEATHLY afraid of flying to the point where I avoid it at all costs.
There was a massive turbulence when I flew from Japan to NY. I really thought the plane was going to crash. I was basically asking my mom (who was sitting right next to me) if I'd go to heaven if the plane crashes.. Needless to say I was very traumatized.
I was 11 years old at the time.
Last time I flew was to upstate NY, which was just an hour flight. This was back in 2011.
I had a random grandmother holding my hand the entire flight, consoling me from having a nervous breakdown on the plane lol.
I was also taking 0.25g of xanax during that flight, which didn't help at all.

I haven't flown since then. I've been super depressed lately because I LOVE traveling - or at least I used to. But I can't travel anywhere fun outside of NY without flying. I want to be able to go to Ireland.. Mexico.. Italy.. Switzerland.. Australia.. Bali..
There's so many places I want to visit. I can't believe I wasted 7 years away without traveling anywhere.
I REALLY want to overcome this fear but I feel like at this rate, the only way how is to have someone tranquilize me on the plane.. like sedate me with anesthesia or something lol
I can almost equate flying to a death sentence.. Like my brain automatically thinks that whatever plane I'm going to be on is going to crash..
I think I subconsciously relate flying to dying..

A gamechanger would be alcohol. Last time I flew I wasn't of legal age to drink (and I never drank alcohol).
That might change everything.. Cause alcohol usually makes me really calm.

Does anyone have any tips for me?
I hate turbulence with a passion. I, too, had a scary incident when I was flying to Seoul back in 2008. We encountered some massive turbulence, which woke me up from a deep sleep. I was convinced that the plane was going down.

But that didn't stop me from flying as I had to fly to get to school, work, etc. To help me get over things, I also rationalized that flying is way safer (from a loss of life perspective) than road travel.

If you are really afraid of turbulence, though, I'd recommend flying on a Boeing Dreamliner. They have excellent technology that is much better able to handle turbulence. When I was flying on one to Oslo a few years back, it was the smoothest flight I have EVER been on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel